HELP!!!! Poop eating!!!!

Dukiesmom

Feb 8, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dukie (Duke)
I switched my dogs from raw to kibble when I got Dukie, because I was concerned about Dukie not chewing food completely. Now my golden is eating Dukies poop! Ugh!!!! What to do?

karla9895

Dec 23, 2013
Helena,MT
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winter, Queen Shiva, Big Tiger & Louis Vuitton
Hi Dukiesmom,
my puppies were doing the same thing and the vet told me to try forbid
and it works, I try the pineapple juice too and it didn't work for me
you can get it from Amazon.com
good luck!

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
According to some vets and studies, it's lack of protein and not enough nutrients.

Last week I was at the dog park and there was a nice german shepherd walking all around the dog park walking so slow eating poop. I reached the couple walking the GS along with 2 other dogs and she was looking where the GS was. I told her busy eating poop. She then told me it was a friend's dog and thats all it does is eat poop. She said it has allergies and can't eat anything. She said the dog is vegan!?!?!? Wow a vegan dog. Vegan searching for protein and nutrients. Go figure. Felt like going home and come back with a nice raw steak. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Golden's are nortorious for this... i worked at a dog daycare for a few years and there were 3 Golden's that we had to race to poo piles so they did not eat it. Some research says they are missing something in their diet, but others say it is just that their scense of smell is so strong they can still smell the undigested food in the poo and see it as food. best thing to do, is make sure you get to the pile before he does.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Try giving him probiotics, sauerkraut or raw food. There is not enough enzymes in his digestive system. That is why poo, which has gone through digestive system, has enzymes and is irresistable.

OP
D

Dukiesmom

Feb 8, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dukie (Duke)
They all get forti flora daily. Retrievers are notorious for it, that's for sure.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I have decided it time to get a golden retriever as an outside dog so I don't have to cleanup poo anymore. Thanks guys!! LOL

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
...time to get a golden retriever as an outside dog so I don't have to cleanup poo anymore.
Hehe...
I thought the OP was kidding when posting a thread about Dukie's Dookie.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I had a Belgian Malanois rescue,who was very thin when we got him.He was chained to a two foot chain on a tree. When we brought him home,he went around eating poop. I guessed it was either because he was starved,or had to clean up his little area.I would smell his breath,and say "you ate poop?" Then I would brush his teeth with regular toothpaste. He hated the toothpaste! After doing this 3 times, he never ate poop again.(of course,he was fed better,too....)

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
So my Frenchie/Boston Terrier mix will eat Curly's poop - only Curly's not the other one (or the new puppy's). So gross. The only way I can get him to stop is by making sure I clean up after Curly when he goes #2. It's a PIA (no pun intended) but that is the only way I have prevented him from eating poop.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum was a notorious poop eater when I got him...I made sure I got to it before he did every time and switched him to a high quality food and he stopped doing it eventually. It's much more pleasant when he licks my face now.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Chum was a notorious poop eater when I got him...I made sure I got to it before he did every time and switched him to a high quality food and he stopped doing it eventually. It's much more pleasant when he licks my face now.

"CRAP" im sure it is!!! :tease::tease::tease:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wilson loves a tasty backyard scooby snack, he's my little Turd Burglar. :laugh: Sorry I'm no help as I tried everything under the sun, even did an ice cream vs poop test one time, he preferred the poop (seriously google Poop v. Peppermint Ice Cream) and it'll come up. :biglaugh: As disgusting as it is for some dogs they simply like it. What's disgusting and nasty to us is not to them unfortunately. After 5 years, Wilson will still have a backyard sample. I just get in his mouth with a wet paper towel and clean him out. His favorites turds are the ones in the snow. :facepalm: I feed all 4 of mine the same food too, Fromm Beef Fritatta.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online