Diamond's eye mucus/boogers

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
When we got diamond she had her right cherry eye which was gray in color. The picture was before i got her but, she's always had mucus in her eyes which i thought she was getting poor eye liquid. we put eye drops in her eyes but, still the mucus comes back a lot. like 5 minutes after clearing it, i would like to know has anyone else had this type of issue with their bully? i'd like all the info i can get and thank you in advance!

Attachments

• diamond.jpg
    diamond.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 191
OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456702197.324843.jpg
here she is now you can see how much weight she has put on.

sent from my brick using clay

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is getting a little thick so you'll need to cut back on her food, you want the waist line to be like a V shape when looking down at them from above.

her eye looks like it may be conjunctivitis and she needs and antibiotic to rid of it...

OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
She is getting a little thick so you'll need to cut back on her food, you want the waist line to be like a V shape when looking down at them from above.

her eye looks like it may be conjunctivitis and she needs and antibiotic to rid of it...
thank you for the tip on her weight. she is at 51.1 pounds. unfortunately my mom and sister feed them human food and i tell them not to but no one wants to listen to me. just a general antibiotic or a certain one?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thank you for the tip on her weight. she is at 51.1 pounds. unfortunately my mom and sister feed them human food and i tell them not to but no one wants to listen to me. just a general antibiotic or a certain one?

it will be an ointment that you'll have to put in her eye for about a week

OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
it will be an ointment that you'll have to put in her eye for about a week
do you know of any brand or name of it? i think our vet has misdiagnosed her for just as cherry eye. b\But stuff happens and you can't blame him for helping.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
do you know of any brand or name of it? i think our vet has misdiagnosed her for just as cherry eye. b\But stuff happens and you can't blame him for helping.

i do not know the name of it, but I tagged members that will know. if the mucus is green or yellow, it is an infection and she'll need that ointment

OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
i do not know the name of it, but I tagged members that will know. if the mucus is green or yellow, it is an infection and she'll need that ointment
ok yea it'll sometimes vary from green and yellow. i have sinus issues, so i know green muscus is bad. i'm glad i asked and found this place. so she's had an infection for almost 7 months :bad:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome Cody & Diamond, thank you for giving her a home and trying to help her.
Like Christine, I'm concerned about her eye, she may or may not have cherry eye
but it does also look irritated or infected. Is your Vet bully experienced, it makes a
difference because they have specific issues and react differently to meds, etc than
other breeds. Under Forums, there are many articles that will help you immensely to
to help Diamond. Do not use regular eye drops (not good for humans or animals) but
use Refresh Liquigel (in a aqua bottle by Allergan) at Walmart. It moisturizes without
harmful chemicals that dry out the eye (most regular eye drops). It's a bit expensive
but very effective & lasts a long time, doesn't take much. Of course, infection care is
most important, has your Vet expressed concern?

Do you know how old she is? Her skin, ears & eyes will all get much better on a
grain free food which TOTW is, great choice! Feed her 1 & 1/2 cup Am & PM, not
regular cups, get a plastic measuring cup at Walmart, use that to measure kibble.
Might not look like much as it is denser in calories not the empty calories in former
foods. Your Mom & Sister must understand that giving her extra food (treats) is NOT
good for her health. Healthy treats would be green beans, a boiled egg, a couple of
sardines (water packed not oil), couple of avocado slices, peeled & no seed! No chips,
fries, candy, popcorn, etc...just NO! Avoid cereals or anything that's grains, no cookies,
cakes, donuts, crackers...maybe a SMALL bite very occasionally LATER after all her
issues have gotten healed. If she seems hungry on 1 & 1/2 cups of TOTW, add a 1/2 cup
of drained green beans each meal, filling without calories.

Watch the coconut oil, too much will cause diarrhea. I'd wait to give her this or anything
but her kibble right now, too much new too soon will upset her tummy. You can rub it
onto her skin issues, a little goes a long way, very good for that. I'd wait to add Apple
Cider Vinegar too. A great shampoo, believe it or not, is Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, the
blue (original formula), it's gentle on skin & kills fleas.

Good luck and keep us updated, Cody :)

OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
Welcome Cody & Diamond, thank you for giving her a home and trying to help her.
Like Christine, I'm concerned about her eye, she may or may not have cherry eye
but it does also look irritated or infected. Is your Vet bully experienced, it makes a
difference because they have specific issues and react differently to meds, etc than
other breeds. Under Forums, there are many articles that will help you immensely to
to help Diamond. Do not use regular eye drops (not good for humans or animals) but
use Refresh Liquigel (in a aqua bottle by Allergan) at Walmart. It moisturizes without
harmful chemicals that dry out the eye (most regular eye drops). It's a bit expensive
but very effective & lasts a long time, doesn't take much. Of course, infection care is
most important, has your Vet expressed concern?

Do you know how old she is? Her skin, ears & eyes will all get much better on a
grain free food which TOTW is, great choice! Feed her 1 & 1/2 cup Am & PM, not
regular cups, get a plastic measuring cup at Walmart, use that to measure kibble.
Might not look like much as it is denser in calories not the empty calories in former
foods. Your Mom & Sister must understand that giving her extra food (treats) is NOT
good for her health. Healthy treats would be green beans, a boiled egg, a couple of
sardines (water packed not oil), couple of avocado slices, peeled & no seed! No chips,
fries, candy, popcorn, etc...just NO! Avoid cereals or anything that's grains, no cookies,
cakes, donuts, crackers...maybe a SMALL bite very occasionally LATER after all her
issues have gotten healed. If she seems hungry on 1 & 1/2 cups of TOTW, add a 1/2 cup
of drained green beans each meal, filling without calories.

Watch the coconut oil, too much will cause diarrhea. I'd wait to give her this or anything
but her kibble right now, too much new too soon will upset her tummy. You can rub it
onto her skin issues, a little goes a long way, very good for that. I'd wait to add Apple
Cider Vinegar too. A great shampoo, believe it or not, is Dawn Dishwashing Liquid, the
blue (original formula), it's gentle on skin & kills fleas.

Good luck and keep us updated, Cody :)
I don't think the vet is, when i was around for the first time he seemed to treat her like her like any other breed. 2-3 years old. i'm using cyclosponine it has the same viscosity as olive oil for her eyes. i feed her using measuring cups. i've had my run ins with dawn and it works good. i might have a good paying job lined up so someone is going to be spoiled :D

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome2: [MENTION=15554]codered[/MENTION] If you can not afford to go to the vet-the name of the ointment he would sell you is panalog. Many times over the years, I have gone to the pharmacist and asked for something,describing the condition(saying it is for my dog) and he would tell me what I could use-an over the counter. Make sure you say it is for eyes.
You could use a boric acid(for eyes) to wash them, and neosporin specifically for eyes.
If this condition has gone on for a long time,she may need special treatment .

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I just had to take Monty to the vet for goopy eyes (he had ulcers) and he is on 'Neomycin and Polymyxin B Sulfates and Bacitracin Zinc'. You can buy it online but need a prescription. It is much cheaper that way. I have to take him back tomorrow. His eyes are better but still not completely clear. They also recommended him to use Optimmune Ointment every day from now on for dry eyes, a common problem. I shall be buying that online as it is much cheaper.

We also use frozen green beans as an addition to his food as he packs on the pounds quickly! He loves them. As said above, it is very important to keep to grain free dog food and NO table scraps. Just ask your family if they want to pay the vet bills!!!! Good luck.

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
She is such a beautiful cutie :heart:
I agree with the others, her eye probably needs special treatment.
I would let a vet examine it, especially if the condition lasted for some time.

OP
codered

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
i'm agreeing with all of you i know she has had it before i got her.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Here is the name of a good over the counter eye drop you can get, but I would advise seeing a vet and having them do a dye test to make sure there is not scratches, as well as a tear production test. He should be able to easily do both. Cherry eye can cause conjuntivitis though- so that COULD be the reason.

The drops are called sustaine eye drops and they are about $10 a bottle, but just in case the eye is infected he should be checked for sure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online