Hello everyone! Blast from the past!!!!!!

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
It's been far too long since I last posted. Our lives have taken some very unexpected turns, and I just could not bring myself to post here, yet I so missed many of the great friendships forged here. I can now give you the latest Bogey update, and I will preface that with HE IS ONE HAPPY DOG!:yes:

My last post was about us buying a beautiful RV, and going full-time traveling the country, with a bucket list to golf in every state! We moved into the RV in December 2014, and stayed pretty stationary in Florida, with some short trips around the state to learn how to manage this bus! These trips proved very stressful to Bogey, he hated the RV moving, he hated the sides coming in and out, he hated all the new smells with each new RV park. I convinced myself that it was just that silly bulldog ocd, and he would get used to the travel. Wrong:fie: We left for a 26 state run in May,2015. We drove all the way down to Key West, and started our journey there. We were taking our time coming out of Florida because there was so much we wanted to see. This meant only being in one place fr 2-3 days, then moving on. We could see the stress it was causing Bogey, and I became increasingly concerned that he was not adjusting as we hoped. By the time we got to St Augustine, Bogey became very ill- vomiting, bloody diarrhea, and lethargy. We rushed him to an emergency vet, and he was admitted for severe dehydration. 2 days later, he was released but the vet could not find any cause for his illness other than STRESS! He asked," has anything changed in his life?" I just cried. After alot of discussion, the vet really thought that this RV lifestyle was not meant for Bogey. We sold our home, all our posessions, and planned this journey of a lifetime, not ever thinking it would be so harmful to our Bogey. My son Todd ( who some of you may remember was dealing with some PTSD post Afghanistan,) had moved to Florida to pursue a firefighting career. He asked if he could take Bogey for us, as his roommate Matt had a greatl boxer named Jackson, and he thought it just might settle not only Bogey down, but Todd as well. They spent alot of time together when Bogey was a pup, and Bogey would mope for days after Todd left. I was very hesitant - I felt like I was betraying Bogey, and was ready to just take alot of losses on our investment and go back to square one. That was until Todd drove 4 hours to where we were, and I saw the look on Bogeys face when Todd got out of his car with Jackson. It was pure happiness! Bogey actually cried licking Todd to death! So, after A TON of tears, we let Bogey go home with Todd and Jackson, with the promise that if it didn't work out, we would be on the next highway back to Florida! So, Ken and I cried for the next week straight, couldn't look at ANY dog, but if we happened upon a bulldog, we went to pieces. Hardest thing I ever had to do except send my son off to war!
The happy part of this is Bogey is now a completely different dog! He has gained weight, his digestive issues are a thing of the past, he is healthy, happy, and he and Jackson are inseperable! And the bonus in all of this, my son is also a different person! Bogey has done more therapy for him than any program or help our illustrious VA system offers. I always wanted Bogey to be a therapy dog, little did I know how that would come about!
Of course after this all worked out the way it did, there was no way I would have taken him back when we got back to Florida for he winter! Bogey is happy to see us, but he is attached at the hip to Todd. We miss him everyday, but my heart is so happy when I see the two of them together! We will continue our travels for the next year or 2, and now I realize how unfair it would have been to Bogey to keep him in such turmoil. Bulldogs. Ya gotta love their OCD's!! :stinkeye:
I have just now been able to come here and read up on all the old buddies, and read about new ones! Hopefully I can be a more frequent visitor!
:yes: Missed you all!!

Attachments

• 20151028_191432.jpg
    20151028_191432.jpg
    585.7 KB · Views: 293

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
THIS. I MEAN OMG, that has love written all over it. I'm so glad it worked out but must have been very hard. :(

attachment.php

Aren't you a sight for sore eyes! So glad to see you here, you are very missed and I do hope you visit more often. I am just kinda getting back too- even though I have been here I have not been as active as I wanted to be, it was health issues- ugh, they can really mess up things!

RV living is fun, I do hope you have been enjoying yourself. We traveled for 8 years in an RV in our job, and a lot of which was in Florida! Great in the winter but so hot and sticky in the summer. Not a fan. :lol: Do you by any chance have a thousand trails membership?

Sooooo dang happy to see you!

Last edited:

codered

Feb 25, 2016
panhandle of Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Diamond
I'm a newbie here from the panhandle :D welcome back sorry to hear about bogey, Diamond loves to go riding she'll just lay there and you'll hardly realize she's there except for when she passes gas. and when she does it's like we hit a skunk :bad: :laugh:

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Oh wow welcome back Mary and what a lovely ending for you all, I was thinking oh what's next after selling up everything and it all going so sadly wrong with Bogey but turned out so good in the end so Happy your son is handeling things better and Bogey happy with him.
Enjoy your travels, after we got home there from doing Route 66 in a Rv we bought one for small trips had it made to our design spent six nights in it was not for us so we sold it and I too think FTSE was happy about that he didn't particularly enjoy like us.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
MARY!!! How wonderful to see you and read such a wonderful loving story of success for both your boys.... I'm sad for you, but so happy both your boys are doing well!

You have been missed and hope you continue to post your journey to share!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thank you for sharing this. Wonderful to read about the healing powers of a bulldog.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'm a blubbering mess...truly...so many emotions going thru me at one time.

Let me say, WELCOME BACK...this is weird seeing you here as you had popped
into my head earlier this week and was thinking how much I missed you & Bogey
and said a prayer over y'all. So was very surprised to see your post. Then, as I'm
reading it, my heart is sinking, so very sad for all concerned. As I continued to read,
tears flowing...turned into happy tears! Even still, I can understand your pain & loss
of Bogey even now. I've had situations change & had to rehome...tears out your heart!
This was God stepping in, gotta love how all benefitted and especially your son, Todd.
He deserves a great life after serving his Country...PTSD is no joke!

Thank you, dear Mary, for your update, I keep y'all in prayers and sure hope you pop in
again to tell us housebound & bored people of your road adventures. I send you big hugs
for doing what was best for Bogey as it broke your poor heart to do it...that IS Love!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Wow what a story!! I can't imagine how hard it is not to have bogey but he seems like he's doing so well. I'm so happy he's helping your son too. Safe travels!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
What a story, and blessing in disguise! I love how this ended up, as it should. They look so happy together [emoji1]❤️[emoji3]

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Welcome back! That's a great story of how Bogey has helped with therapy. I'm sore you're missing him terribly but it sounds like you did a wonderful thing!

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
got the tears flowing over here! so happy to see such a nice ending for all involved.

My boyfriend suffers with depression and is also a veteran. It's so nice to see the relationship he has with our frank, I think frank is a huge part of the reason he's been doing so well lately. :D

happy happy happy updates!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Welcome home Mary, I am so happy to see you!! I truly believe everything happens for a reason. Although it is tough to not have Bogey by your side everyday, It has to be a tremendous comfort to know he is helping your son. Please thank your son for his service to our country. I am forever grateful for each and every soldier who selflessly defends our great country every day and I am crying tears of happiness for him that he is better through Bogeys love. Give them both a great big hug!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Such an amazing story! I'm so happy everything worked out for everyone involved. Bogey looks SO happy in that picture!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Mary I was out of town, and almost missed this story!!! I'm heartbroken for you, but what an amazing journey for Bogey and your son… my hubby suffers from PTSD, and I know how hard it is for them to adjust to civilian life. I'm SO glad that everything seems to have worked out for all of you!!!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Bogey looks so happy! I am glad that it all worked out and you can still see Bogey a bunch, although I know how tough that must have been to make that decision. I am so glad he was able to stay in the family and is happier and healthier and you guys can live your dream!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online