WOW.... I was shocked~!!!

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
:ohmy: As some of you may know our world has been turned upside down this last month, after "rescuing" my very abused sister from Ohio from her marriage, and getting her down here to FL. to live with us, til she gets on her feet. She has a Chihauhua that is 12 years old. Well UNFORTUNATELY she gives Robin tiny little Rawhides, and keeps them in her bedroom with the door shut. Today Vegas come slithering like a snake into the living room and I KNEW something was in his mouth. He ran straight to his crate. I seen him chewing and I got in his crate to find what he had. Vegas will be 7 in March and NEVER, EVER showed one ounce of aggression towards me, anybody or any animal. I tried to stick my hand in his mouth and he growled a growl I have never heard and snapped at me!!!! :*( , I continued to try to pry his mouth open and I have to admit I had fear. I have never experienced any behavior like this before. Finally the damn little rawhide slid out of his mouth as he was chewing and I snatched it up!!! It was slimy and gross. I yelled at my sister that it could of easily killed him (perfect size to get stuck in his throat!!) I lectured her on keeping her door closed AT ALL TIMES and I know she felt horrid. I later apologized, but made it VERY clear to keep her door shut at all times!! I am still in dis-belief that Vegas was really going to bite my hand off and he meant business.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG.... thank goodness you caught him with it and he did not swallow that thing! I too am shocked that he growled at you -- so not V-boy at all

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I want to really believe he felt bad after.... He remained in his crate for almost an hour with out coming out, OR he was mad at me for taking it from him. I choose to believe he felt bad for almost biting me.... Lol.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I want to really believe he felt bad after.... He remained in his crate for almost an hour with out coming out, OR he was mad at me for taking it from him. I choose to believe he felt bad for almost biting me.... Lol.

that is the one I would go with too.... :giggle:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Good thing you saw him with that. They do get a little testy as they get older. I'm sure he felt bad afterwards, and I'm glad you stood your ground.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Honey...sending you the biggest hugs of sympathy, comfort & understanding.
And love to each one of y'all, I'm sure Vegas felt very bad, and I believe he took
your actions as aggressive towards him (in your fear) and it confused & frightened
him and yes, sounds like some bully possesiveness too. What a terrible scene filled
with strong emotions, I think he felt your anger and thought it directed at him and
responded in kind. But Kelley, if he wanted to bite you, he would have...

I went thru a similar thing with Cami about a year and a half ago, so had her a couple
years at that point and bonded at the hip so to speak. She'd been outside & digging in
the mud around a large, thorny rose bush. After she came inside, she was favoring her
paw/leg, couldn't tell so was down on the floor trying to get a look. One of her back nails
looked broken or was a thorn driven into it beside a nail. The brat was sitting on that leg
so was trying to get it out from under her. She came up into my face (about an inch away)
and pushing her chest into mine, gave me what for! I was stunned, shocked & yes, scared.
Instinctively I calmly but sternly told her, "No, No, Cami, DOWN!", she immediately looked
ashamed & backed off. It hurt my feelings as I'm sure yours were, hurts to feel our beloveds
have threatened US.

Vegas is probably feeling unsettled & a bit, on edge and insecure (Cami & I had just moved).

To be safe, I'd ask your Sister to stop giving those rawhides while at your house. In case the
lil dog gets out of the room with one and carries it into Vegas' space, nothing beats prevention!

Thank you for posting this, Kelly, we all need reminded that, in times of stress & heightened
emotions, our beloved 'babies' can react differently & revert to instinctive behavior in protecting
themselves against perceived threats. It can happen to any of us and we shouldn't take these
things personally. Your Vegas loves you as much as ever, nothing to do with that...just unsure of
what was happening and feeling threatened in that weird moment.

None of us are perfect, neither us or them :)

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Just lucky you were home Kelly, I say he is just feeling bad for getting cranky with Mummy

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Excellent post by [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION]. I think I learned something from that post.

I can't imagine how scared you were Kelly! How is he today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Oh my, so sorry that this happened! Can I ask, have you had to go into his crate before? Maybe because the crate is HIS safe place he reacted the way he did? He didn't realize you were potentially saving his life, he just reacted to his space being invaded?? Maybe? Not that it's ok that he reacts that way, I just hope this possibility makes you feel better.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Must have been scary! I too think the post by [MENTION=5315]Texas Carol[/MENTION] was very informative - the new situation with his aunt and chihuahua cousin in the house perhaps threw Vegas off balance. Seems like a good idea that the little dog doesn't get any non-bulldog-friendly treats that Vegas would be interested in.

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i had one do this... i figured out it was because i had him cornered in his kennel... when i tipped the kennel up so he couldn't get back in it he realized i was in charge.. but i know it is scary.. i try not to let them see it but its hard... im glad things worked out and all is ok... i don't like rawhide's... your sister shouldn't even be giving them to her dog... that's just how i feel.. but that's just me

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww Kelly, I'm so sorry this happened, but glad that's you were able to get the rawhide away from Vegas. I agree with others that he was probably acting out for different reasons such as being unsettled with all the new changes in the house, new person, new dog, you being in his space, and him being possessive over the bone, he didn't want you to take it from him, and also,he's getting older which can cause changes in his temperament. You just have to be firm with him, and stay calm and in control. I'm glad everything is okay.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Good thing that you got it away from him before he gobbled it up. They do tend to get a bit cranky when getting older, like men do...

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
That fella' found an irresistible treasure, and he was not about to give it up to mom. Something like that,that he's never had before can bring out the wild instinct. Glad all worked out well. I know it sure does hurt your feelings. That little Chihuahua has a chance of choking also. I never gave any of my dogs that crap. :bad:

OP
KMARINO

KMARINO

Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas remained in his unlocked crate for about an hour after the incident, I don't know if he felt bad how he acted, or mad because I took that nastiness away!! After that he was back to the same ol Vegas and has been perfect every since. I have LECTURED my sister on rawhides, and she feeds Robin wet Ceaser's dog food. But I guess in my sister's defense Robin is almost 13 years old and has ate that crap and had those crap treats her whole life. She promised to be more careful about keeping her bedroom door closed and knows how seriously mad I was that he got one and it could have killed him. I bought him blueberries, strawberries and fat free greek yogurt for his snacks this week.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.