Behaviour changes

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Not sure what heading this comes under so I went for general.

George was neutered 6 days ago and since then his behaviour has changed dramatically he seems to be super energetic and even more stubborn then ever also his biting when he doesn't get his way has become more aggressive. I don't believe he is in pain ( but I'm not sure about that), I'm not sure where all the energy has come from though he was always a destructive chewer but that is worse now too.

Things that have changed or are different, are he is on antibiotics for his tail pocket infection, I am giving him 2 small tablespoons of coconut oil a day. I am also at home all this week on holiday but I am keeping as close as I can to his normal routine but I have to live in the house too.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Could be that he is feeling better with the antibiotic and his tail is not bothering him as much .... he is 8 months old, correct?

Stay consistent with your traing so he does not continue down that path... do not feel bad or lessen up due to the surgery or tail issue --- he will take advantage of that if you do.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] and the fact that you are sticking to your routine. As Christine said...please be consistent with GB. I think the meds maybe playing with him as well. Ask your vet when you go in for GB's check-up.

Looking at your avatar [MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION] , GB is a very handsome young man.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Could be that he is feeling better with the antibiotic and his tail is not bothering him as much .... he is 8 months old, correct?

Stay consistent with your traing so he does not continue down that path... do not feel bad or lessen up due to the surgery or tail issue --- he will take advantage of that if you do.

No if anything I've had to be tougher with him but he will not listen to me just turns away and ignores me when I'm trying to teach him things. Maybe he is feeling better with the tail being medicated it could be the reason for the energy I didn't think of that.
I know you do nothing in life is free with your Bulldogs but I just can't seem to get it right I would love to know how to get him to pay attention to me. I've tried treats but he doesn't care about them when he gets something in his head nothing will distract him.
I try not to raise my voice but sometimes it's hard when he's snapping at my feet and legs.
Thank you I've just got to keep trying.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I agree with [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] and the fact that you are sticking to your routine. As Christine said...please be consistent with GB. I think the meds maybe playing with him as well. Ask your vet when you go in for GB's check-up.

Looking at your avatar [MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION] , GB is a very handsome young man.

Aww thank you he is a cutie alright that's why it can be hard to be mad at him but I get like that sometimes.
Unfortunately I think he is a little like his owners he likes to be left alone he's not big into petting or being touched much. Likes his own space and his time alone. But at the same time I can't move very far he's right there behind me, and yet he won't obey me.
He's our first dog so this is a big learning curve.
I sure will be having a talk with the vet on Monday but I know he will just laugh at me and say that's Bulldogs for you.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No if anything I've had to be tougher with him but he will not listen to me just turns away and ignores me when I'm trying to teach him things. Maybe he is feeling better with the tail being medicated it could be the reason for the energy I didn't think of that.
I know you do nothing in life is free with your Bulldogs but I just can't seem to get it right I would love to know how to get him to pay attention to me. I've tried treats but he doesn't care about them when he gets something in his head nothing will distract him.
I try not to raise my voice but sometimes it's hard when he's snapping at my feet and legs.
Thank you I've just got to keep trying.

The biggest thing to know ... you have to find a treat that he LOVES beyond anything and then the only time you use it is when he is in the 'mode'. He will then associate the treat with your commands. For my guys, it has been freeze dried beef liver ... Banks could not resist that stuff.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION] here is a link that talks about aggressive behavior.... https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues/aggression I hope this helps.

I would definitely talk with the vet when you go for GB's check-up. If GB has had training, I would stay consistent with what he has learned. WE are going through similar issues with our Bentley. One thing is bulldogs feed off of our emotions so try to restrain from yelling.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
The biggest thing to know ... you have to find a treat that he LOVES beyond anything and then the only time you use it is when he is in the 'mode'. He will then associate the treat with your commands. For my guys, it has been freeze dried beef liver ... Banks could not resist that stuff.

Agreed… you need to find that HIGH value treat, and use it occasionally.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
How old is he? If we was just neutered 6 days ago, the behavior issues could be due to hormonal changes. Hopefully it settles down. As for the biting -- is he really tying to bite or is he playing to rough? I have an almost 11 month old bully puppy and a 3 year old bully. The 3 year old was never a biter, but the puppy is a shark. She play bites, but it's not fun, and I've had to be really firm to deter her. She also likes to nip your toes and keep you dancing.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
How old is he? If we was just neutered 6 days ago, the behavior issues could be due to hormonal changes. Hopefully it settles down. As for the biting -- is he really tying to bite or is he playing to rough? I have an almost 11 month old bully puppy and a 3 year old bully. The 3 year old was never a biter, but the puppy is a shark. She play bites, but it's not fun, and I've had to be really firm to deter her. She also likes to nip your toes and keep you dancing.
He is 8 and a half months old.
When he gets really angry it's quite aggressive try at biting but I don't think it's at a dangerous level. I know he's trying to get attention and it's usually because he's tired but he fights sleeping during the day so much. I try to crate him but he goes wild in there I have to let him out. But then after a while he naps somewhere he just fights and fights it and gets angry with me about it. That's what it feels like anyway.
Yes I wish I could find that one treat that he would do anything for but I've tried many many things he loves them all but not enough at the same time. I'll keep trying.
I do have to say he's great at night though he goes to bed at 9 pm and only I wake him for his breakfast and to go to the bathroom at 6.15 am he wouldn't wake up till about 9am. I do read about people who are up at 4.30 with their Bulldogs wanting to play!

Last edited:
OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
I will keep looking for the golden ticket treat ��

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
[MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION] here is a link that talks about aggressive behavior.... https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/common-dog-behavior-issues/aggression I hope this helps.

I would definitely talk with the vet when you go for GB's check-up. If GB has had training, I would stay consistent with what he has learned. WE are going through similar issues with our Bentley. One thing is bulldogs feed off of our emotions so try to restrain from yelling.
He hasn't had behaviour training as such we brought him to a man that helped us to get him walking on a lead properly and that took about 30 mins and he's brilliant on the lead since. I did have a trainer to the house for a couple of hours but I can't say we learned a lot from it because he was quite good when she was here so it's hard to show how to correct behaviour if it doesn't happen. But that's George for you he acts the Angel with strangers.
I know they feed off our energy and I try to keep my cool and to calm myself before I try and correct him but sometimes it gets out of control and it's hard not to get a bit agitated.
That link is helpful thank you.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
He is 8 and a half months old.
When he gets really angry it's quite aggressive try at biting but I don't think it's at a dangerous level. I know he's trying to get attention and it's usually because he's tired but he fights sleeping during the day so much. I try to crate him but he goes wild in there I have to let him out. But then after a while he naps somewhere he just fights and fights it and gets angry with me about it. That's what it feels like anyway.
Yes I wish I could find that one treat that he would do anything for but I've tried many many things he loves them all but not enough at the same time. I'll keep trying.
I do have to say he's great at night though he goes to bed at 9 pm and only I wake him for his breakfast and to go to the bathroom at 6.15 am he wouldn't wake up till about 9am. I do read about people who are up at 4.30 with their Bulldogs wanting to play!

8 1/2 months? Oh yeah, you've got a little bully-shark on your hands! I know it's hard, but try ignoring him a bit and withholding attention when he gets bitey. His behavior is typical bulldog puppy play. My puppy has the older bully to play with, so I don't get it as bad as you do, but it sounds like your pup wants to play with you since he doesn't have litter mates to wrestle with, he just doesn't know how to be polite about it. He'll grow out of it. You can try to calm him down by flipping him onto his back and rubbing his chest and belly. He should submit a bit and calm down some.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
8 1/2 months? Oh yeah, you've got a little bully-shark on your hands! I know it's hard, but try ignoring him a bit and withholding attention when he gets bitey. His behavior is typical bulldog puppy play. My puppy has the older bully to play with, so I don't get it as bad as you do, but it sounds like your pup wants to play with you since he doesn't have litter mates to wrestle with, he just doesn't know how to be polite about it. He'll grow out of it. You can try to calm him down by flipping him onto his back and rubbing his chest and belly. He should submit a bit and calm down some.

I have tried to play with him but he seems to get worse. If I try a toy he just takes it and brings it to the nearest bed area and comes back biting. I guess it's still his puppy behaviour. i do try ignore it but it's hard when you feel the power of that mouth on your toes even through shoes.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
He hasn't had behaviour training as such we brought him to a man that helped us to get him walking on a lead properly and that took about 30 mins and he's brilliant on the lead since. I did have a trainer to the house for a couple of hours but I can't say we learned a lot from it because he was quite good when she was here so it's hard to show how to correct behaviour if it doesn't happen. But that's George for you he acts the Angel with strangers.
I know they feed off our energy and I try to keep my cool and to calm myself before I try and correct him but sometimes it gets out of control and it's hard not to get a bit agitated.
That link is helpful thank you.

Well try to keep the agitation in check. I know it is hard to do and it is frustrating. I keep a favorite toy nearby in order to get him to do the things I want. It's sort of like a treat to him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.