g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ok guys, I need an opinion from someone separated from the situation. I'm frustrated, poor Keith is absolutely livid.

So, we have been able to go without a dog walker up until now for a variety of reasons -- Keith works from home a lot, my best friend and her dog used to be our upstairs neighbor, and so forth. Well Keith has to be on site with a client for a few months and it's hard for me to get home everyday for a midday walk, so we decided we needed a weekday dogwalker. I searched and searched on Rover, until I found someone who seemed nice and got good reviews and had a big (big enough, 44 pounds, but taller than a bully) dog herself so it seemed like she'd be able to handle Ruckus and Regina. We had a meet and greet on Sunday, she was nice and the dogs loved her, but hey they love everyone. So I said great, can you start tomorrow? We agree on a pretty reasonable rate for DC, I book it, great, right?

Monday around the time she is supposed to come, I check the security camera. Everything seems ok, she took the dogs for their 30 minute walk. She sent me a picture of them (nice, huh?) and I noticed Ruckus's harness was all jacked up....like it was upside down and I think he could have wiggled out of it if he had pulled hard enough, like it only seemed to be over one leg....anyway, I texted her and sent her a picture of how it should look....which she had to have known she screwed up because Regina has the exact same harness and that one was on correctly. Anyway, she said she's pay better attention the next day and that the dogs were sweet and cute.

Today comes. It's rainy. I left some towels out by the front door for doggy cleanup if needed. I'm watching the camera (I didn't plan to do it every single day, but wanted to make sure things went smoothly the first few times) and when they get back from the walk I see that Ruckus has brought a stick inside. Regina is chasing him, like oooh me too, me too! Fun times. Well the dog walker is following them with a towel and like wiped down the couch, but she just seems to be sort of chasing Ruckus. She called Keith -- his office is closer than mine -- and said that Ruckus wouldn't drop the stick. Keith told her there was some chicken and cheese cubes in the refrigerator and he'll normally trade. Eventually Keith has to come home from work because the dog walker said that Regina kept eating the food she tried to trade Ruckus and she needed to leave. Keith gets home and immediately called me wanting me to fire the dog walker. He said the dogs were still wet from the walk, there were dirty bits of stick all over the house, and muddy boot prints that were clearly the dog walkers. We have brand new light beige carpet......

Keith immediately get the stick from Ruckus and cleans up the best he can while he's getting emails and phone calls from work. He said we'll probably have to steam clean the carpets (luckily we have a spot cleaner!).

So I was kind of like well if Ruckus wants to be stubborn he can, but no one before has ever totally not been able to get the stick away from him. I think Ruckus uses the "I have a stick!" move as a way to test his limits. Keith's 60+ year old mother has taken sticks from Ruckus.

When I was in a meeting the dog walker texted me saying things were going great until Ruckus grabbed a stick and that she was afraid he might bite Regina (and on the phone she implied to Keith that she didn't want to get bit) because Regina was trying to take it and he growled. Well, honestly, I'm 99% positive it was miss thang, Regina, who growled. She play growls any time they play. But I'm worried about having someone care for the dogs who thinks Ruckus might bite. Like can you really adequately watch a dog you're maybe a little afraid of?

Am I overreacting? Should I cut ties and find a new dog walker or let the rest of the week play out? I'm overprotective and poor Keith basically jogged home from work in the rain....in a suit....so we might not be the most unbiased decision makers at the moment.

What would you guys do????

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would be cutting ties and finding a new one... if she is afraid or hesitate-- they might bite her out of fear.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
If it was me I would get a new dog walker. It doesn't sound like it is a good fit.

MFrey2012

Feb 2, 2016
Eastern PA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
If I was in this situation, you best believe, I would be finding a new person!!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'd get another walker, as it doesn't sound like she's comfortablw with your bullies. She may be good with other dogs, but she doesn't mesh well with your two. What kind of dog does she own? Is it strong-willed like our bullies?

(Did you guys move back to DC??)

OP
g8erjackie

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'd get another walker, as it doesn't sound like she's comfortablw with your bullies. She may be good with other dogs, but she doesn't mesh well with your two. What kind of dog does she own? Is it strong-willed like our bullies?

(Did you guys move back to DC??)

Yeah, I think you guys are right, the search for a decent bully-walker continues! She has a hound mix, sounds like maybe not as high energy as my crew.

We DID move back to DC. I missed it and love being back. It has been a whirlwind last 6 months.

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yeah, I think you guys are right, the search for a decent bully-walker continues! She has a hound mix, sounds like maybe not as high energy as my crew.

We DID move back to DC. I missed it and love being back. It has been a whirlwind last 6 months.

Cool! Maybe this spring we can set a play date. Bella is extremely ​high energy. LOL

Dukiesmom

Feb 8, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dukie (Duke)
Yes, get a new one! S dog walker should be comfortable being alpha, being around ANY breed, and know basic obedience to effectively deal with controlling a dog coming through the darn door to get feet wiped & a stick out of its mouth. She seems nice, but utterly clueless, which would scare me if, God forbid she encountered a problem on your dog's walks.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I would be cutting ties and finding a new one...
if she is afraid or hesitate-- they might bite her out of fear.

Agree with Christine, her actions seem to indicate fear of them, not a good thang!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Cut her off immediately. If it doesnt start well it won't end well. She doesn't sound very dog savvy much less bully savvy.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I agree with the others, I would look for a new walker, she doesn't seem to be very experienced, and if she's showing fear, the dogs will feel it and won't listen to her, which could be dangerous. Plus she can't be calling you or hubby every time something goes wrong. I hope you find someone who works out ad is a better fit. Good luck.

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
would definitely find a new one. I would've made ruckus sit right when we entered your apartment, or even before we came in the building, and tried to have him give up the stick before it became a big muddy issue in your apartment! and the fact that she even mentioned getting bit, she sounds a bit unsure of herself.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with everyone, find a new walker immediately! God forbid he got out of his harness! He could have been running around the neighborhood!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/everyone… get a new sitter she seems very inexperienced to me. Honestly she should of asked to see how the harness worked on the initial visit, it's a little too late after the walk IMO...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online