New Habit of peeing on bed/blankets

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
New Braunfels, Texas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor Rigby aka. Ellie 4 years and Beaux who is 4months.
My female who is 2.5 has started peeing in her bed or on blankets. Last week she peed on her blankets on the couch! This is a new behavior. We took her crate away a month or so ago because she was becoming anti-social and hiding out in there. She has never done this before. I know it's not a UTI, as she was at the vet Saturday for a check-up. My carpets and house smell of per and it's making me crazy! Any tips?

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
Something is definitely bothering her. Did you have blood work done too? Is she just peeing without moving or getting up to squat and go? Also what is the color of the pee? We went through this with one of our Chihuahua's and the vet we were using at the time missed the problem causing it to get worse. She had a sever thyroid problem and she is now diabetic and blind but with great care from her new vet she is 12 yrs old and still going strong.

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm actually not seeing it. I'm smelling her blankets and they smell of urine. When she pees outside it appears normal. I think she does it overnight. She's out by 9-10pm and out again before 8am. Then about every 4 hours during the day.

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
Did anything change for her recently? Did she get any shots when she was in for her checkup? I would definitely get her back in to see the vet again or at least call to discuss the problem.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Did they check her urine for a UTI? My vet doesn't normally check urine unless there is an issue… I would want to rule that out first before considering it behavioral.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Did they check her urine for a UTI? My vet doesn't normally check urine unless there is an issue… I would want to rule that out first before considering it behavioral.

My thought,exactly. Get a low tray,like some frozen dinners come in,catch some of her urine,and take it in to be checked. That way you can be sure it's not a uti.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I do not have any thing to add other than I do hope the problem resolves for you. Please use patience with your bully. Jewel has had accidents before and I raise my voice at her mainly because I ignored her telling me she had to go. Now she nudges me and even jumps up on my legs to get my attention when she has to go outside. Again I hope you get this resolved.

Dukiesmom

Feb 8, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dukie (Duke)
If she is spayed & urinating in her sleep it could be urinary incontinence. The vet has meds you can put her on ( after you rule out UTI etc) that will help. My daughter has a Doberman that started with this problem & meds stop the problem

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
thanks all, we did rule out UTI with the vet. So far since we have brought the crate back in and removed all other blankets since Sunday there has not been an incidence. I did just a few hours ago put blankets back under the end table where she hung out before the crate. Although she has never peed there, I wanted to try a test. I have also put back the stuffed toys that were smelly and washed to see if she uses them again.

I did change her food recently and although I have never heard of that, I wonder if there is something? Also, a few days before Christmas we had to put down our 13 year old pug.

I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone! Thank you!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did change her food recently and although I have never heard of that, I wonder if there is something? Also, a few days before Christmas we had to put down our 13 year old pug.
QUOTE]

This could be a big part of it.... Bulldogs can have issue with change -- she could be missing her buddy or was you Pug her alpha

OP
A

AmandaPeterson

Feb 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
hmm, the pug was also a female and became immobile towards the end. When we first brought the bulldog home, Grace the pug didnt want anything to do with her and put her in her place. She would do the friendly get out of my face growl or when Ellie wanted to play or got rowdy she would bark at her, but they did end up cuddling and liking each other. Now Ellie is all alone, for a little while until we bring our new puppy home. We are 6th pick so it could be a little while.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
hmm, the pug was also a female and became immobile towards the end. When we first brought the bulldog home, Grace the pug didnt want anything to do with her and put her in her place. She would do the friendly get out of my face growl or when Ellie wanted to play or got rowdy she would bark at her, but they did end up cuddling and liking each other. Now Ellie is all alone, for a little while until we bring our new puppy home. We are 6th pick so it could be a little while.

Yep -- your Pug owned her and her world is upside down. No bedding.... hopefully she will settle in before the pup if not, when she gets a new buddy after a week or two she should.

keep us posted

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.