Overly excited with company

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
When we have company over Lockjaw gets super excited, tries to jump on them and pees.
We've tried ignoring him, taking him outside first (in case he pees), we've tried making him sit first. But it's like he needs their complete undivided attention for like 10 minutes.
He looks right at them tail and butt wiggling a million miles an hour. After a little while, he will eventually calm down, but keeps going up to the person wanting attention.
Any advice on how we can stop this? Otherwise he's pretty calm and doesn't do this to any of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
We kennel our bullies when visitors drop by because they all get excited. It keeps things easy to manage...no drool, so scratched legs, no jumping up on anyone, and no pee. Sometimes, depending on the visitor, we may let one out at a time to "play" a little. If things begin to get too crazy, back in the kennel they go.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
When we have company over Lockjaw gets super excited, tries to jump on them and pees.
We've tried ignoring him, taking him outside first (in case he pees), we've tried making him sit first. But it's like he needs their complete undivided attention for like 10 minutes.
He looks right at them tail and butt wiggling a million miles an hour. After a little while, he will eventually calm down, but keeps going up to the person wanting attention.
Any advice on how we can stop this? Otherwise he's pretty calm and doesn't do this to any of us.

Here is an article in reference to over excitement. I know it is easier said than done. https://www.cesarsway.com/dog-behavior/hyperactivity/6-steps-to-managing-a-dogs-over-excitement

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Bass still gets super excited when we have guests…I don't see that changing. He does not jump up any more, but I can tell he wants to and if I wasn't right there to "Alpha" him, he probably may try to… I think dogs, especially Bullies are very in-tuned to people and will gravitate toward a specific individual if they feel excitement/extra protection is needed ect…

My girlfriend is 7 months pregnant and Bass would not leave her side when she last came over…as if to be a protector or guard dog. So if you have a guest that exudes an emotion or feeling, chances are your bullie is picking up on that vibe.

Crating during guest time may have to be an option if the peeing/jumping doesn't stop. Do you keep his leash on and at a very close range to you when a guest enters? You will have full control not to let him jump and to take him directly outside (if you're right by the door). Telling an excited bulldog to sit when a friendly stranger enters your home is quite a challenge…enforcing the "choose your battle" style of training may be best…in other words, forget the calm sitting dog technique (great for labs and retrievers, not so great for excited, stubborn bullies) and go straight to "Alpha in Control" while on a leash.
Excitement and undivided attention for several minutes is very common, they're a friendly breed and LOVE people…they especially love when people love them back and rake it in. This method takes practice and patience and is not for everyone. It worked here because I started training very early on and enforced Alpha right away.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Bass still gets super excited when we have guests…I don't see that changing. He does not jump up any more, but I can tell he wants to and if I wasn't right there to "Alpha" him, he probably may try to… I think dogs, especially Bullies are very in-tuned to people and will gravitate toward a specific individual if they feel excitement/extra protection is needed ect…

My girlfriend is 7 months pregnant and Bass would not leave her side when she last came over…as if to be a protector or guard dog. So if you have a guest that exudes an emotion or feeling, chances are your bullie is picking up on that vibe.

Crating during guest time may have to be an option if the peeing/jumping doesn't stop. Do you keep his leash on and at a very close range to you when a guest enters? You will have full control not to let him jump and to take him directly outside (if you're right by the door). Telling an excited bulldog to sit when a friendly stranger enters your home is quite a challenge…enforcing the "choose your battle" style of training may be best…in other words, forget the calm sitting dog technique (great for labs and retrievers, not so great for excited, stubborn bullies) and go straight to "Alpha in Control" while on a leash.
Excitement and undivided attention for several minutes is very common, they're a friendly breed and LOVE people…they especially love when people love them back and rake it in. This method takes practice and patience and is not for everyone. It worked here because I started training very early on and enforced Alpha right away.

I think we might start crating him if it's someone he doesn't see very often. If it's someone he sees pretty regularly (like my neighbor- who he absolutely LOVES), I may leash him and start to teach him that way.

He doesn't jump on us or get overly excited, and is calm/submissive with us.

I really think it just because he LOVES people and the attention they give him- I just wish he wouldn't pee all over. Lol

On the other hand- Penny could care less. Lol- she barks when the door bell rings and after she sees who's there, she just walks away. Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I think we might start crating him if it's someone he doesn't see very often. If it's someone he sees pretty regularly (like my neighbor- who he absolutely LOVES), I may leash him and start to teach him that way.

He doesn't jump on us or get overly excited, and is calm/submissive with us.

I really think it just because he LOVES people and the attention they give him- I just wish he wouldn't pee all over. Lol

On the other hand- Penny could care less. Lol- she barks when the door bell rings and after she sees who's there, she just walks away. Lol

he has the happy piddles.... UGH! they are tough to break --- try the leashing and see if it helps. He is just over excited from what you are explaining

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
he has the happy piddles.... UGH! they are tough to break --- try the leashing and see if it helps. He is just over excited from what you are explaining

I got a Julius K-9 harness for him about a week ago, and the handle on it has actual been very helpful in making him sit around people on walks, and when going out. Yesterday he actually seemed like he was getting the hang of it a little.
My neighbors came over and instead of full on jumping, you could see his little tail wag, but when they came up to him, we waited a second to TRY to jump, but since I'm already anticipating it, I told him to sit, while holding onto his harness to anchor him a little and he listened pretty good, but in the end still tried to jump.
He's still a work in progress - so hopefully it'll only get better from here. Lol

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Yeah, this is a tough one. Bella is like a crazed person when we get visitors. I've learned, though, that some of it is related to the energy the person gives off. I've seen her come barreling toward visitors, only to stop at their feet. I've also seen her try to take out the kneecaps of another visitor. I think their energies were different. They both love dogs, but the first visitor has, I think, a stronger energy, and she isn't one to put up with a jumping dog.

It was interesting to watch.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.