The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I know we can give out bullies fresh beef bones to chew one but I am not sure about fresh pork bones. Has anyone ever given them to their bully? The reason I ask is I am in the process of have a 300lb hog processed and will be acquiring all of the bones as well and if Harlea can have some of the larger ones I would like to let her have one. If not no biggie just more bones for mama to make stocks with.. lol

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Im new to bullies but I can guarantee my German Shepherd would get sick on anything that was pork. No problem with raw fish, chicken, beef, duck, elk, moose etc etc but pork? Nope just didn't work for him. Might work for bullies but im skipping pork with my bully.

Hope others can answer you question as for me, no pork for Nyala.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Im new to bullies but I can guarantee my German Shepherd would get sick on anything that was pork. No problem with raw fish, chicken, beef, duck, elk, moose etc etc but pork? Nope just didn't work for him. Might work for bullies but im skipping pork with my bully.

Hope others can answer you question as for me, no pork for Nyala.
Yeah we are the same with lamb, duck and chicken with mine.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
No, they aren't safe due to splintering / I wouldn't feed them to Harlea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Works for me thanks. All for mama's stock then.

WifeofPA

May 26, 2014
Spokane WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shelby, Victorian Bully and Conan, EB
I have always been told that pork bones are not good for dogs as they splinter. Beef, buffalo/bison are all good as long as it's the larger bones' i.e. Femur but I'm no expert, it's just what I go by

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Well, my guys get pork bones, the bigger the better, and are perfectly fine with them. Cooked bones splinter and small bones can co down in too small pieces, but big raw ones are just fine. If they happen to throw up after the first time it's just that your bully s no use to bones, not that you should never give another bone to him. Most dogs also love knawing hoofs...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, my guys get pork bones, the bigger the better, and are perfectly fine with them. Cooked bones splinter and small bones can co down in too small pieces, but big raw ones are just fine. If they happen to throw up after the first time it's just that your bully s no use to bones, not that you should never give another bone to him. Most dogs also love knawing hoofs...

that was my understanding too.... as long as not cooked and large, should be good to go.

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
that was my understanding too.... as long as not cooked and large, should be good to go.
These won't be cooked. They will be the freshest that they could possibly be being that the hog is being processed in the morning and everything picked up that same afternoon.

goobers mom

Mar 5, 2011
Springfield, Missouri, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Goober, (R.I.P), Carlie(R.I.P.) , Chaps, Glory B, Blis, Kimber, April, and Brenna (RIP) Wendi, Joy,
I have fed raw pork bones before, with no problems, as long as they are big enough, I always freeze my bones for a couple days prior to feeding.

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
If I offer a bone it is a fresh knuckle bone. The rest she would destroy and swallow. Just too much invested to get my dog plugged up on bone meal or choke on. So I'm not concerned about pork in general. Just bone splinters that get swallowed and cause possible tears or blockage. If that weren't an issue I would not be worried what animal it came from.

mybrindlegirl

May 30, 2015
Country
Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Püppy
Personally I would never feed anything raw of pork (no meat, no bones) to a dog.
There is a disease called Aujeszky's disease (or Pseudorabies).
The virus is not dangerous for humans, but if a dog gets infected, there is no cure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudorabies

Boiling kills the virus. But boiled bones change in structure and can be very dangerous (splinter and/or obstruct).

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.