New Bullpei, is her behaviour normal?

Mike01046

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hetty
Hi,

This is my first post and my first bulldog so be kind ;p, I've owned dogs before however Hetty is different as she's a rescue. She's settled in pretty well but she doesn't seem to move from the couch very much, if at all!

Hetty seems extremely cautious around me and my girlfriend, we expected this due to her being in unfamiliar surroundings. She's very wary when approaching with a stooped posture, she's now accepting water and food after 30 hours of refusing which is a bonus. I'm just wondering if this is normal bulldog behaviour to not move for extended periods? She is also unwilling to come when shouted, we have to physically push her from the couch before she moves anywhere.

bc16bd26b73efec86a85898ba7846e11.jpg

355f4890e2eef5759df6d220390a472b.jpg

3628f4eecf8486c0dbff27c7e44538f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Hi there, and welcome to EBN. Hetty is definitely a beauty. Yes, bulldogs do tend to be more on the lazier side compared to most other breeds, but to not move at all is questionable. Have you had her seen by a vet for a full exam to ensure nothing is bothering her?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
:welcome2:Hetty is a beautiful miss full of wrinkles! Most rescues,we don't know what they have gone through. They are confused and insecure. She has probably chosen your couch as a place she feels secure. It sometimes takes several months before they feel secure enough to show their true selves. It is not unusual for a bulldog to not come when called-they definitely have a mind of their own! She could even be deaf-but she really needs time until she feels like this is her forever home. She is a beauty. Thank you for rescuing her,time and patience and love is what it takes!:yes: I agree with Jessica, if you haven't had a vet check-that would be a good thing to do!

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh my look at her- I have never seen a bulldog sharpei mix- beautiful.

I don't know the breed tendencies of sharpei and you can see she has strong genes from both sides.

Rescues can be very timid and take s long time to adjust. The couch she likely feels safe- especially if she was invited up there. Hence not wanting to budge. Safe place. Have you tried a crate full of blankets and toys/treats to give her a safe place?

OP
M

Mike01046

Feb 9, 2016
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hetty
Thanks for all the replies! I think she's beautiful and can't wait to give her a great life. We've tried everything to make her feel more secure however not a pen as I didn't want her to feel caged. I'm glad to see that the couch and not budging very much seem like normal behaviour.

She has a vet appointment this week but she hasn't shown any signs of pain. Another thing is that she is very reluctant to come upstairs whether promoted by treats or simply being on her own downstairs, is this part of the settling behaviour?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
perhaps she has never used stairs before. When you don't know their history,it is a learning process-for you and her.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Wow she is stunning. I agree with others in the couch is her safe place and she will move when she's darn ready. Lola often refuses to leave the couch though she has been with us for a long time. We also have stairs and Lola refuses to come down them in the morning because she's a grumpy bear and loves to sleep in. We carry her down most mornings. She will also sometimes get a lift up the stairs. Always grab with two arms below her to support both her chest and her bumside such that she is sideways against your chest when carrying.

It may seem that a crate is a cage, but most bullies, including mine, loved her crate and would go there willingly to sleep or to get a snack. She has earned free roam of our home now, so we didn't use the crate when we moved last year (Lola is almost 5yrs old). But maybe you can set up the crate with her bed and some blankets and some toys upstairs such that she also has a safe spot up there? Leave the door open, she may just hang out in there.

Man is she cute, though.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
She is beautiful!

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
First off, woaaahh gorgeous doggy!!!! I have been wondering what a EB/chinese shar pei would look like.... And the answer : everything it should!!! Omg! :luv:

Did i miss how old she is? And for not much more than a day I'm sure she's facing a huge adjustment. Hope it goes smoothly.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Cutie pie isn't she... :)

My tenant has a Sharpei back home and they are know for lazy dogs so you got a double whammy :cool:

If you have to shout as you mentioned she either might be deaf or scared as like most mentioned, with rescue animals you have no clue what has/had happened to them. Your vet appointment will give you clearer answers. Again you have a beautiful pooch.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
Great idea on the crate comments.... Izzy also LOVES the feeling of a cave so I add blankets to her crate and that's her sanctuary. She also hides underneath my bed a lot...another cave for my precious.

Bulldogs can be lazy or less energetic BUT I still think your baby is being shy. Give her some time for her personality to come out.

I know others have asked but do you know anything about her past?

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I hope for you and her that she will come around. I think the mix of the personalities of these two breed should make an awesome dog. One of my favorite dogs of the ones I have been around is the Shar pei one of my old neighbors and good friend had growing up. She was a quiet but active guard dog at their house and worked us kids like a cattle or sheep dog would knowing where everyone was at all times. The bulldog laziness and looks mixed with the shar pei should make for a good dog.

I love the looks of you dog from the pics.

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
She's beautiful!

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I am no expert on the breed as I am a new bully owner but when it come to the crate my Daisy loves hers, she goes to it for time out when the kids are annoying her and also just to be lazy she also sleeps in it at night in the kitchen with the door open but I also think that if jetty isn't used to a crate she might not use it. All the best with her and I can't wait to her all about her progress, she is 1 wrinkly looking girl lol

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.