Loss in appetite?

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
Bowser has always inhaled his food in one sitting until the past week or so. Now he seems to have little interest. He doesn't go straight for it and he takes many breaks.

He is eating it all, but it takes a lot of encouragement.

Some info:
  • He is 70 pounds
  • He is fed the dry food, Exclusive (what the breeder recommended)
  • He is drinking normally
  • He is still playful
  • He is 9 months old
  • We are feeding him the minimum amount that the food brand recommends for his age and weight
  • He isn't on any medications
  • The vet has not said anything about him being overweight

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?, and do you have any words of wisdom?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sometimes it happens… as long as he is pooping and behaving normally I wouldn't worry. You can add some warm water to get his appetite going, or add something new like boiled egg, fruit or veggies.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
How much are you feeding him? Bulldogs tend to need less than the recommended amount mine is 10 and a half months and he gets 1 1/4 cup twice a day. He could also be sick of the food, I would suggest maybe trying to transition him to a different kind or flavor. Let us know how you make out!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
70 lbs at 9 mths, wow, he is a big boy... is he tall or an OEB? can you post a picture of him from above so we can see his waistline?

I never heard of the food you are feeding, but could be he is full or just likes to eat slow.... our first boy, would take about 20 mins to eat.... nibble, take a break, get a drink, nibble.... meanwhile, banks was drooling like a water fall waiting to get to the bowl. There were a few times that I had to hand feed him cause he just would not eat out of the bowl... but at the age of 2 we had full panel allergy test done and it turned out he was allergic to all types of rice -- changed the food to grain free and he ate like a champ after that.

OP
quackattack

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
How much are you feeding him? Bulldogs tend to need less than the recommended amount mine is 10 and a half months and he gets 1 1/4 cup twice a day.

We feed him 4 cups per day (as per the bag). 1 1/2 at breakfast, 1 at lunch, and 1 1/2 at dinner. The breeder has said not to switch him to adult food until he is a year old and to keep feeding him 3 times a day until he is a year old.

OP
quackattack

quackattack

Jun 1, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bowser
70 lbs at 9 mths, wow, he is a big boy... is he tall or an OEB? can you post a picture of him from above so we can see his waistline?

I never heard of the food you are feeding

So sorry, it is actually called Exclusive. It's a Purina Mills brand. I've edited my first post.

He is just a regular English bulldog. Not sure if he's tall as I haven't seen many others in person.

Here are some pics:

e3WdpK2.jpg

6iPNLqw.jpg

p59tO8t.jpg

Attachments

• 20160117_114205.jpg
    20160117_114205.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 106

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We feed him 4 cups per day (as per the bag). 1 1/2 at breakfast, 1 at lunch, and 1 1/2 at dinner. The breeder has said not to switch him to adult food until he is a year old and to keep feeding him 3 times a day until he is a year old.

That is a lot of food.... at 9 mths, I think he should be getting about 3 cups total a day. Remember the company will want you to over feed so you have to buy more ;)

8 weeks1/2 cup 3 times a day
12 weeks2/3 to 3/4 cup 3 times a day
4 & 5 months3/4 cup 3 times a day
6 months to 1 year1.25 to 1.5 cups twice a day

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online