applying to bulldog rescues

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Hey all! Just wanted to give you a small update. We have applied to 3 bulldog rescues. One in Phoenix, one in Texas and one in Southern California. The one in Texas sent an email saying my application is under review. Haven't heard from the others yet. There are 2 others in Phoenix, but one's website looks like they are gone and the other one says they do not adopt to homes with unfenced pools. :unsure:

Even as we are applying, I am still trying to make sure we can afford a bulldog. Pretty important. :yes:

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Oh, btw, if there are moderators that need to know, it's Sorry that says they are no longer doing adoptions...

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, btw, if there are moderators that need to know, it's Sorry that says they are no longer doing adoptions...

haha "sorry" , that should say Bulldog Rescue of Arizona

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Good luck on finding your future bulldog. Getting a rescue should help you to know more about the dogs personality and health

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Hey all! Just wanted to give you a small update. We have applied to 3 bulldog rescues. One in Phoenix, one in Texas and one in Southern California. The one in Texas sent an email saying my application is under review. Haven't heard from the others yet. There are 2 others in Phoenix, but one's website looks like they are gone and the other one says they do not adopt to homes with unfenced pools. :unsure: Even as we are applying, I am still trying to make sure we can afford a bulldog. Pretty important. :yes:

Another source to adopt from are reputable Breeder's dogs after
retiring them.

My Cami is one :)

They are usually well cared for, socialized and being a bit older,
mannerly and mellow.

Good luck!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Good luck on finding your future bulldog. Getting a rescue should help you to know more about the dogs personality and health

thank you wes!

- - - Updated - - -

Another source to adopt from are reputable Breeder's dogs after
retiring them.

My Cami is one :)

They are usually well cared for, socialized and being a bit older,
mannerly and mellow.

Good luck!

that's a good idea..How did you find Cami? Did you just get in touch with different breeders?

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
good luck!! it is a process but so worth it! I remember my best friend calling me to tell me she'd said the words 'model dog mother' on the phone several times to someone from a rescue that was calling my references!! haha.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Good luck! I hope you find one to give a loving home after your disappointing first try. That is so wonderful that you are doing so much research ahead of time. Bulldogs are high maintenance but they are so worth the time. And often the maintenance can help avoid a lot of the issues that would require expensive vet visits.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well I agree w/the unfenced pool decision… Bully are chest heavy, so that makes them terrible swimmers. That could lead to disaster unless you have them in a lifejacket or take the time to teach them to swim.

Good luck w/the rescues, I hope that you find your new baby soon…

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
Good luck with the rescues but I have to say the unfenced pool is a big concern that would really worry me I would definitely have to fence it before getting any type of dog but especially a bulldog

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Thanks everyone.

I just got an email from the rescue in Texas and they turned me down. They gave some reasons about why they turn people down, but not a specific reason for me. I wrote back to ask, but the person said they are not on the application committee so they don't know what was discussed. I could push, but I believe it is the pool situation. I am wondering if we should reconsider for now also. I'll wait and see what I hear from the other rescues, but I don't want the baby to drown either! annnd I'm thinking maybe we should save up for a bulldog for a while and be better prepared.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Thanks everyone.

I just got an email from the rescue in Texas and they turned me down. They gave some reasons about why they turn people down, but not a specific reason for me. I wrote back to ask, but the person said they are not on the application committee so they don't know what was discussed. I could push, but I believe it is the pool situation. I am wondering if we should reconsider for now also. I'll wait and see what I hear from the other rescues, but I don't want the baby to drown either! annnd I'm thinking maybe we should save up for a bulldog for a while and be better prepared.

it can be a frsustrating process which sometimes leads people to give up and buy a puppy. Please keep trying. You'll find one but definitely address the pool situation. It's a requirement for many rescues. Good luck!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
it can be a frsustrating process which sometimes leads people to give up and buy a puppy. Please keep trying. You'll find one but definitely address the pool situation. It's a requirement for many rescues. Good luck!
Thanks for the encouragement! Unfortunately though, we rent and the owner won't put up a fence around the pool. But we may not be here next year either, so we'll see.

Sent from my Android using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online