Do bully's make good guard dogs

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I just wondered if they make a good guard dog? I have read some info that says bully's would probably lick an intruder to death or just go on ahead sleeping lol. I didn't get Daisy as a guard dog but would like to think that she could give us some protection if needed. We had a boxer before and he was an amazing pet but also very protective of my eldest kids when they were young, didn't like mammy or daddy telling them off, he used to go sit by them and whine and give us a look that said you need to stop now :p

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
The AKC rates the English Bulldog as a non-working breed further listing the bully as a family companion. So to purchase a bully as a guard dog would be a mistake. This is not to say a bully would not provide some protection but when it comes to my Jewel and Bentley...Jewel will want to make friends and Bentley would follow suit.

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I wouldn't put money on mine attacking anyone, but my husband and I have often discussed it. Lockjaw, hands down would lick them to death! He would be so excited someone new was in the house, the most he would do is excitedly pee on them- but he is also the first one to go to one of us if we are sad or upset and offer some cuddles-Lol. Now Penny on the other hand- she doesn't get excited about new people and is always the one to buck up on alert outside of she hears something, and the first one to pop up in the house and bark again if there is an unfamiliar noise. Her bark is much deeper than Lockjaw's as well. But at the end of the day I don't think I would ever want to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
I don't know-this is our first bully so were beginning to discover his personality traits. Chuck lost his gord the other day when the Fed X guy showed up. Really had me worried because outside the house, he's a cupcake, not intimidated by anything or anyone, won't bark, just sits back and takes it all in. But holy cow, he didn't want anyone strange on the front porch and he let it be known. i've read about territorial dogs/fear aggression but this was a first. Cant say I wouldn't worry if the wife or daughter were home alone but now that Chuck is almost one, still intact, I've really need to watch. IMG_0962.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Some will give warning, but for the most part they do not guard much at all. Now, all dogs are different with personalities and traits so you could have one that has that ability, but over all, they are not breed to be guarding type.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I don't think they make good protective dogs, but some make good warning guard dogs. Mine will bark deeply at me when I am doing something outside and he can't see who it is.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I don't think Chunky would do anything but bark as the approached the house. I have windows on both entry doors and if he sees anything or anyone he goes towards the door and gives a few deep barks then looks at me like go do something or why are they there.

My first bulldog hated my sister because she would yell at my oldest niece and make her cry. We thought she was going to come through an interior door once to get at my sister. Of course I just made the situation worse by telling my sister she needed to be nice. HAHA

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I don't think Chunky would do anything but bark as the approached the house. I have windows on both entry doors and if he sees anything or anyone he goes towards the door and gives a few deep barks then looks at me like go do something or why are they there.

My forst bulldog hated my sister because she would jus at my oldest niece and make her cry. We thought she was going to come through an interior door once to get at my sister. Of course I just made the situation worse by telling my sister she needed to be nice. HAHA
Haha I would be happy if Daisy done this with my sister is such an *** (don't tell her)

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I don't know-this is our first bully so were beginning to discover his personality traits. Chuck lost his gord the other day when the Fed X guy showed up. Really had me worried because outside the house, he's a cupcake, not intimidated by anything or anyone, won't bark, just sits back and takes it all in. But holy cow, he didn't want anyone strange on the front porch and he let it be known. i've read about territorial dogs/fear aggression but this was a first. Cant say I wouldn't worry if the wife or daughter were home alone but now that Chuck is almost one, still intact, I've really need to watch. View attachment 95472
Chuck is freaking adorable, wow he is a great looking bully, Daisy is growing so fast I can't wait to see what she is like when she is all grown up

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Harvey is a fine "watchdog". He will bark when he senses someone at the door. He will bark when someone knocks or ring the bell. He will then lick the intruder if he was close enough.

He is a fine watchdog because he will probably watch everything taken away.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I wouldn't go into getting a bulldog with the thought that they will be a protector. Each one has such different personalities. I have two. Brutus will run and hide before he does anything to anyone. Frankie on the other hand will protect the family. He is very very friendly and loves people and dogs alike, but one time our friend whom Frankie had never met came into the house while my husband and I were in the back yard. The only person in the house was my youngest daughter and Frankie wasn't having it. He was full out in protection mode and I'm glad she was able to get him into his crated before we found out just how protective he could get. We came into the house, frankie settled down and once he saw that it was ok for our friend to be in the house, Frankie was great friends with him and played for hours.

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
First, Monty would have to wake up! He does bark if he thinks (key word 'thinks') he hears or sees something. Often it is his reflection in the window but he will have a good bark at it. I am sure he wouldn't do a thing if someone broke in though.

bella100

Community Veteran
Sep 7, 2011
Mississippi
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
nahhhh the only thing mine are good at guarding is the thunder and food haha

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I agree with you except I have one completely different he is the best guard dog that I have ever had and not that we got him for than but it has turned it out this way as he is very protective of me and any one that comes to the door or touch our fence he literally scares the **** out of them.
But I'm not saying he is not a loveable companion and anyone he knows he is all over them with affection and licks them to death but just protective of me

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I just wondered if they make a good guard dog? I have read some info that says bully's would probably lick an intruder to death or just go on ahead sleeping lol. I didn't get Daisy as a guard dog but would like to think that she could give us some protection if needed. We had a boxer before and he was an amazing pet but also very protective of my eldest kids when they were young, didn't like mammy or daddy telling them off, he used to go sit by them and whine and give us a look that said you need to stop now :p

I have four dogs Rosie a Bulldog , Odin a Cane Corso , Willow Siberian Husky and Dakota a mixed breed Malamute Husky lab mix .
When someone comes up the driveway or is on or 6 acres they all know it right away , , Odin wants to chase it down and make serious enquiries as to why are you here, Dakota will stay close to the house and make the same enquiries, Willow will say on the deck and look nasty and bark like mad , Rosie the bully and all the other bullies runs back to the sliding glass door making noise and wants in !
Those are the degree,s in my Pack and there various breeds that I own Now , I have had Doberman s do the same thing as Rosie until the person comes in the house gloves are off at that point as far as the dog is concerned . I would not use a Bulldog as a Guard dog lol !

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.