Real Name
    Stacy
    Country
    US
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella, Dooley, and Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Do bully's make good guard dogs

nahhhh the only thing mine are good at guarding is the thunder and food haha
    Its so hard being the queen!!!

2. Likes Chunky White liked this post
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

I agree with you except I have one completely different he is the best guard dog that I have ever had and not that we got him for than but it has turned it out this way as he is very protective of me and any one that comes to the door or touch our fence he literally scares the **** out of them.
    But I'm not saying he is not a loveable companion and anyone he knows he is all over them with affection and licks them to death but just protective of me

4. Likes Chunky White liked this post
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    I just wondered if they make a good guard dog? I have read some info that says bully's would probably lick an intruder to death or just go on ahead sleeping lol. I didn't get Daisy as a guard dog but would like to think that she could give us some protection if needed. We had a boxer before and he was an amazing pet but also very protective of my eldest kids when they were young, didn't like mammy or daddy telling them off, he used to go sit by them and whine and give us a look that said you need to stop now
    I have four dogs Rosie a Bulldog , Odin a Cane Corso , Willow Siberian Husky and Dakota a mixed breed Malamute Husky lab mix .
    When someone comes up the driveway or is on or 6 acres they all know it right away , , Odin wants to chase it down and make serious enquiries as to why are you here, Dakota will stay close to the house and make the same enquiries, Willow will say on the deck and look nasty and bark like mad , Rosie the bully and all the other bullies runs back to the sliding glass door making noise and wants in !
    Those are the degree,s in my Pack and there various breeds that I own Now , I have had Doberman s do the same thing as Rosie until the person comes in the house gloves are off at that point as far as the dog is concerned . I would not use a Bulldog as a Guard dog lol !
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member Cali Doll's Avatar
    Real Name
    Cali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bella
    Likes (Received)

Bella is a complete love bug. I don't know how she would react if someone truly unwelcome came into the house, and I certainly hope to never find out.

Once, though, I walked her into our townhouse, and my mom and cousin were already inside. Bella and I live alone, so having someone in the house startled her. She was unsettled for a bit. Certainly not aggressive, but unsettled. This is a dog who loses her ***** (with excitement) over people. All people.

So, I think if push came to shove, she'd react if she sensed something is very wrong. I like to think that dogs pick up on the emotions of their owner. We've had countless repairmen, delivery men, friends, etc over. She's always crazy with excitement. I guess walking in the house, and having someone inside was just so odd for her.

Who really knows, though. She might lick to death an intruder. LOL
    {MEAN JOE BELLA}

IG: @bellatheenglishbully

7. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Well, Goob is a good watch dog AND a good guard dog but it comes at a cost. When he hears noises outside he barks and wants to go investigate (which we like). However, EVERYONE that comes into the house is an "intruder" and therefore, not welcome. He will bark/growl, lunge, sometimes try to nip. We have been working with him for years but if he didn't know you during his puppy years, you are not welcome.

My neighbor's husband was crossing the street to come talk to my husband. Hubby went inside for a minute so my neighbor came to talk to me while he waited. Well, I was facing the house in our yard and the neighbor was still in the street, still crossing. Goob started to bark, growl, and lunge at the neighbor (who was on the sidewalk). The neighbor said, "Wow, nobody's getting close to you with THAT guy are they?" In that instance, it was good protection. I just wish Goob would grasp the concept of welcome visitors vs. intruders...He is a work in progress.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

9. Likes harveyspecter liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads