Do you have to be "rich" to own a bulldog?

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I always tell anyone who is adding a bulldog that it is *about* $100 a month.

$50+ for food
$20+ for supplements
$10+ for cleaners and extras
Toys, treats, beds and luxuries for the rest.

$100 of the best love and entertainment you will get in you life!

This is without shots and emergency vet visits. You MUST be able to save or be able to have additional funds available in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this is a great post! sadly I tack on another $120 in my budget for doggie daycare :ashamed:

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I always tell anyone who is adding a bulldog that it is *about* $100 a month.

$50+ for food
$20+ for supplements
$10+ for cleaners and extras
Toys, treats, beds and luxuries for the rest.

$100 of the best love and entertainment you will get in you life!

This is without shots and emergency vet visits. You MUST be able to save or be able to have additional funds available in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Lisa. Madie is right, this is a great/helpful post. I just need to make sure I have enough to put aside for shots and emergencies. I realize that is very important...other than that, $100+ isn't bad :)

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
The Advanced Search does it again. Thanks for the advice. I have someone interested in buying a Bulldog and Iā€™m telling him Donā€™t Do It. He is single, 23 years old and never at home. He thinks our two are great and he wants one. I tell him we are old farts and donā€™t do anything but talk to our dogs. Weesie scouts for a dirty ear. Hopefully this will scare him away. His lifestyle doesnā€™t fit. Thanks Christine.

Fantastic question..... it is awesome that you are doing all the research and information finding. Just this reason is why so many end up in rescue/shelters... people jump at buying the cute wrinkled baby and never know what really is all involved.

You do not have to be rich, but willing to spend the money to keep them healthy. The better the food and daily maintenance care... the less likely you will be at the vet. Once you find the right food (could be months of trial and error) you do prevent a lot of the issues with skin, ears, paws... so, even thought a bag of food may be $70... it is high quality so you feed less and the bag will last 5-6 weeks, so you are kind of only paying around $10 a week for food , which if it keeps away vet visits (outside of the normal wellness) it is worth the spend. That said, there are things due to bad/poor breeding or just roll of the dice that you may have to deal with (cherry eye, tail amputation, palate reduction, nares widen, enthropian).

Pet insurance is great if you get the plan as soon as you get a puppy and there is no medical history.... most companies do not cover any pre-existing conditions and some consider a conversation with your vet for information as pre-existing. Based on that, what we have done for the past 12 yrs, is have a credit card just for the pups and it is used only for emergency vet bills (surgery, ER trips, etc.).

one big piece to keep in mind... these babies give so much love they are more than worth their weight in gold :heart:
hope that helps

tigertanktoo

Mar 31, 2019
SW Georgia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gabe - EBD 7 yrs old and Charlie - Cockerspaniel 15 yrs old
We have a Care Credit card we could use for him/her. We would probably adopt an older bulldog since my son (special needs) gets nervous around dogs with a lot of energy like puppies.

A Care Credit card does come in handy. We have one and it helps out considerably. If you are interested in adopting, there is a rescue section on the front home page here that lists all rescues by state. Maybe you will find your first bully furbaby close to home. Good luck. Edit portion of message. I just noticed the start date of the thread. I hope you did find a bully to adopt and are having a fantastic time with them. Bull dogs are funny. My big knucklehead makes me laugh everyday.

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
I personally donā€™t believe we should put all EB as very costly ā€œdog categoryā€. There are so many other breeds out there that are also expensive. That being said, yes you do need to have a steady income somehow coming in and a lot of knowledge on the breed, itā€™s main issues, what youā€™re feeding it and especially being knowledgeable on maintenance cause vet bills are ridiculously high for no reason. Iā€™m a firm believer if youā€™re going to buy ā€œanyā€ breed, you as the buyer absolutely need to do your homework on the breeders. Ask tons of questions and if they donā€™t want to answer your questions on themselves as a breeder, the parents or/and the paperwork of the puppy you want to buy or for sell, move on! Just simply move on! Thereā€™s also a lot of rescues out there that needs a good home. Unfortunately they will come with baggageā€™s but heh, they need a home too. :)

RalphieBoy

Community Veteran
Jul 1, 2014
Tennessee
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Emmitt
My overall goal was to find previous post that would give me ammo on why a 23 year old, nice looking and never home a reason not to get a Bulldog. Adoption is great. I highly recommend. But not this young man. I appreciate everyoneā€™s previous post and current post. The Advanced Search is a wealth of information at ones finger tips. I highly recommend. Thanks again.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.