Do you have to be "rich" to own a bulldog?

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
1aa1e4866b1a9a5139c7be51504d86e2.jpg

I got rescue , she was 4 1/2 when I got her. I love her to pieces❤️ I know that I missed her baby months and watching her blossom into a young lady. I seen her developed in so many ways behavior wise bec she has to be the only dog and no other dogs or cats.

She's not social able with other dogs and I am ok with it. She loves people and children to give her attention big ham!

I apologize for such a lengthy reply . Yes, save a little money on the side for vet visits. I would highly recommend rescue that way you will get familiar with the breed or talk to someone you know with a bulldog in your area. My former neighbor had a bulldog puppy and that's how learned about the breed.

PorkChop has made my life complete , I am not rich nor poor. I am blessed and happy to be a bulldog mommy❤️[emoji190]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what a lovely post and pork chop is adorable xxx

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
My FTSE is healthy touch wood apart from the odd sickness and cherry eye but saying this I have to still spend on keeping him this way with his food I pay sA147 for his kibble, then there is heart worm meds yearly vaccinations along with the daily things.
I did have insurance but finally gave that up last year as I was silly and waited for a couple of months to join so his eyes were not covered along with numerous other things as it depends how the vet writes down the prognosis of a visit so it was just not worth me paying $800+ a year now I just pay and so far much better off but if I had of joined straight away it would have been a different story.
You don't need to be rich with money like everyone says prioritise but you do need to be rich with love and affection for them.

Christian1971

Sep 2, 2014
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Josie, Zoey
I credit card we use is named, Care Credit Card. I use it for my dentist and other doctor visits. Plus it can be used at the vet also.
Its like a credit card, except you cant use it to go shopping for fun.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
If my husband and I had waited to be rich,we would not have had anything. BUT we did have a rich life and good and bad times and lots of animals. I learned how to treat many problems myself,when I could. If we waited 'til we were rich,he would still be gone, and I'd still be waiting. Don't over think things-enjoy life while you can! Best Wishes!

You hit the nail on the head , I find i am all the more rich for having the dogs , you can not put a price tag on that , the things i have learned from them are amazing never mind the day to day enjoyment of having any dog just saying

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Fantastic question..... it is awesome that you are doing all the research and information finding. Just this reason is why so many end up in rescue/shelters... people jump at buying the cute wrinkled baby and never know what really is all involved.

You do not have to be rich, but willing to spend the money to keep them healthy. The better the food and daily maintenance care... the less likely you will be at the vet. Once you find the right food (could be months of trial and error) you do prevent a lot of the issues with skin, ears, paws... so, even thought a bag of food may be $70... it is high quality so you feed less and the bag will last 5-6 weeks, so you are kind of only paying around $10 a week for food , which if it keeps away vet visits (outside of the normal wellness) it is worth the spend. That said, there are things due to bad/poor breeding or just roll of the dice that you may have to deal with (cherry eye, tail amputation, palate reduction, nares widen, enthropian).

Pet insurance is great if you get the plan as soon as you get a puppy and there is no medical history.... most companies do not cover any pre-existing conditions and some consider a conversation with your vet for information as pre-existing. Based on that, what we have done for the past 12 yrs, is have a credit card just for the pups and it is used only for emergency vet bills (surgery, ER trips, etc.).

one big piece to keep in mind... these babies give so much love they are more than worth their weight in gold :heart:
hope that helps

:goodpost: Christine really nailed it… and THANK YOU for asking this question beforehand, I really wish MORE people would research BEFORE buying a bulldog!!!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
My FTSE is healthy touch wood apart from the odd sickness and cherry eye but saying this I have to still spend on keeping him this way with his food I pay sA147 for his kibble, then there is heart worm meds yearly vaccinations along with the daily things.
I did have insurance but finally gave that up last year as I was silly and waited for a couple of months to join so his eyes were not covered along with numerous other things as it depends how the vet writes down the prognosis of a visit so it was just not worth me paying $800+ a year now I just pay and so far much better off but if I had of joined straight away it would have been a different story.
You don't need to be rich with money like everyone says prioritise but you do need to be rich with love and affection for them.

Thanks Julie!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
I credit card we use is named, Care Credit Card. I use it for my dentist and other doctor visits. Plus it can be used at the vet also.
Its like a credit card, except you cant use it to go shopping for fun.

Yup, I have Care Credit too. That would be perfect. Just need to make sure I can pay it off! lol Or it would be pointless. I like the idea of putting money aside also. Guess I really need to wait and see how old the dog is that we adopt etc...

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
:goodpost: Christine really nailed it… and THANK YOU for asking this question beforehand, I really wish MORE people would research BEFORE buying a bulldog!!!

You're welcome :) Thank you all for your opinions. It means a lot!

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
The more I research, the more I realize how many health issues and/or expensive food bullies need. We don't have a ton of money. We're not poor but not well off either. Will pet insurance help a lot? Should I even be considering a bully? :cry:

Best question and BEST answers all around in this thread!! I hope a lot of bullie researches read this one, thanks so much for asking this on here!! You got excellent advice, suggestions and feedback from an amazing group, I have nothing else to add except I think you'll make a fabulous bullie owner!!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Best question and BEST answers all around in this thread!! I hope a lot of bullie researches read this one, thanks so much for asking this on here!! You got excellent advice, suggestions and feedback from an amazing group, I have nothing else to add except I think you'll make a fabulous bullie owner!!

aw, thank you so much. That means a lot Laurie. I'm so glad this post should help a lot of other people :heart:

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
Fantastic question..... it is awesome that you are doing all the research and information finding. Just this reason is why so many end up in rescue/shelters... people jump at buying the cute wrinkled baby and never know what really is all involved.

You do not have to be rich, but willing to spend the money to keep them healthy. The better the food and daily maintenance care... the less likely you will be at the vet. Once you find the right food (could be months of trial and error) you do prevent a lot of the issues with skin, ears, paws... so, even thought a bag of food may be $70... it is high quality so you feed less and the bag will last 5-6 weeks, so you are kind of only paying around $10 a week for food , which if it keeps away vet visits (outside of the normal wellness) it is worth the spend. That said, there are things due to bad/poor breeding or just roll of the dice that you may have to deal with (cherry eye, tail amputation, palate reduction, nares widen, enthropian).

Pet insurance is great if you get the plan as soon as you get a puppy and there is no medical history.... most companies do not cover any pre-existing conditions and some consider a conversation with your vet for information as pre-existing. Based on that, what we have done for the past 12 yrs, is have a credit card just for the pups and it is used only for emergency vet bills (surgery, ER trips, etc.).

one big piece to keep in mind... these babies give so much love they are more than worth their weight in gold :heart:
hope that helps
:2thumbs::goodpost::clap2:

Brian Melton

Aug 8, 2015
Bucks County, Pa.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Other breeds are just as expensive to own and have just as many issues. Take Labs for an example. They are the most overbred dog breed in the country and suffer from an ever shrinking gene pool which results in the craziest of health issues that you couldn't begin to imagine. Combine that with pet food that is unregulated, preserved with toxic chemicals and vets that vaccinate your pets auto immune systems into early disease and death. All you can do is hope for the best, be as knowledgeable as possible, and try and enjoy each day.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I always tell anyone who is adding a bulldog that it is *about* $100 a month.

$50+ for food
$20+ for supplements
$10+ for cleaners and extras
Toys, treats, beds and luxuries for the rest.

$100 of the best love and entertainment you will get in you life!

This is without shots and emergency vet visits. You MUST be able to save or be able to have additional funds available in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.