Do you have to be "rich" to own a bulldog?

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
....and then there are the healthy ones. I now have my 4th bully. Don't know how it happened, but every one of my bulldogs have been healthy as can be, except that two of them had cherry eye (which I now plan for when I get a bully pup!). None of mine ever had any health issues, never even allergies. I got health insurance for Winnie when she was 8 weeks old, before she had anything to exclude. She did have Demodex mange when she was a pup, which is not uncommon for any pup, not just bullies, and is easily treated. My insurance didn't cover it as they don't cover any parasites. We have used the insurance twice, once when she swallowed a whole chicken bone and we took her to emergency. The other time she had swallowed a big chunk of a stuffed toy and got really sick. We took her to emergency and before they had to do surgery, she vomited it up. That last trip was about $800 and the insurance paid most of it. So I would add, in addition to a high quality food, you should be extremely careful about what your bully gets ahold of, because some of them will swallow anything that will go down their throats! My insurance is through VPI and I believe it costs about $49.00 a month for each dog (I have 3). I've had it for over a year and it has about paid for itself. I also have a wellness rider that pays for annual exams and heart worm meds and vaccinations. @megdav

Any kind of dog you get is a commitment and a roll of the dice as far as health issues go. I've had other dogs with way more health issues than my bulldogs. That's just my story....

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
You definitely don't have to be rich:) and I love that you're asking this question, so many, including me:ashamed: jump into getting a bulldog without knowing anything about them besides that they are cute. Here in South Africa I often see posts on FB from people looking for a "cheap" bulldog, cos according to them the reputable breeders charge unreasonable amounts:unsure: I try in the best way I can to point out that if one can't afford to buy one from a good breeder maybe they should look into getting a different breed or save up the money... Better to buy from a good breeder and have few health issues than from a backyard breeder and end up with tons of health problems, it's cheaper in the end. I explain what has happened to us during our time having bulldogs and that I hate for others to make the same mistakes I did. I really did everything wrong:eek: didn't research, bought from dodgy backyard breeders and had no clue about the health issues.

But I wouldn't change anything, I love them SO much my heart hurts. They're my everything and I would find them again if I went back in time. We do spend a lot of time and money on them but they are so worth it, and isn't that why one wants a dog? To spend time with them and love on them:)

To adopt is a great choice, the health issues are often already known or already dealt with so you'll know what you're dealing with, also adopted dogs are the best:heart: I hope you can find a bulldog suitable for your family and your boy, bulldogs are truly special and they deserve someone who's responsible like you:)

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
....and then there are the healthy ones. I now have my 4th bully. Don't know how it happened, but every one of my bulldogs have been healthy as can be, except that two of them had cherry eye (which I now plan for when I get a bully pup!). None of mine ever had any health issues, never even allergies. I got health insurance for Winnie when she was 8 weeks old, before she had anything to exclude. She did have Demodex mange when she was a pup, which is not uncommon for any pup, not just bullies, and is easily treated. My insurance didn't cover it as they don't cover any parasites. We have used the insurance twice, once when she swallowed a whole chicken bone and we took her to emergency. The other time she had swallowed a big chunk of a stuffed toy and gore really sick. We took her to emergency and before they had to do surgery, she vomited it up. That last trip was about $800 and the insurance paid most of it. So I would add, in addition to a high quality food, you should be extremely careful about what your bully gets ahold of, because some of them will swallow anything that will go down their throats! My insurance is through VPI and I believe it costs about $49.00 a month for each dog (I have 3). I've had it for over a year and it has about paid for itself. I also have a wellness rider that pays for annual exams and heart worm meds and vaccinations. [MENTION=15395]megdav[/MENTION]

Any kind of dog you get is a commitment and a roll of the dice as far as health issues go. I've had other dogs with way more health issues than my bulldogs. That's just my story....

Wow you are lucky Donna, that's great your bulldogs have been healthy. I was wondering about VPI. Seems people on here like it...
Thanks for the advice about some bullies eating anything!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
You definitely don't have to be rich:) and I love that you're asking this question, so many, including me:ashamed: jump into getting a bulldog without knowing anything about them besides that they are cute. Here in South Africa I often see posts on FB from people looking for a "cheap" bulldog, cos according to them the reputable breeders charge unreasonable amounts:unsure: I try in the best way I can to point out that if one can't afford to buy one from a good breeder maybe they should look into getting a different breed or save up the money... Better to buy from a good breeder and have few health issues than from a backyard breeder and end up with tons of health problems, it's cheaper in the end. I explain what has happened to us during our time having bulldogs and that I hate for others to make the same mistakes I did. I really did everything wrong:eek: didn't research, bought from dodgy backyard breeders and had no clue about the health issues.

But I wouldn't change anything, I love them SO much my heart hurts. They're my everything and I would find them again if I went back in time. We do spend a lot of time and money on them but they are so worth it, and isn't that why one wants a dog? To spend time with them and love on them:)

To adopt is a great choice, the health issues are often already known or already dealt with so you'll know what you're dealing with, also adopted dogs are the best:heart: I hope you can find a bulldog suitable for your family and your boy, bulldogs are truly special and they deserve someone who's responsible like you:)

Thank you Petra!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
It truly is just unknown. Rich, no.... but means to money/or credit in case of emergency yes. I got Tyson when he was 3. Literally has zero issues with him at all until he turned 8. Once he turned 8, all hell broke loose. LOL He had prostate issues, we almost lost him due to surgery, then he swallowed socks, then he got food poisoning from raw, and now he has arthritis. So while I was lucky the prior 5 years, after that I've spent thousands on him for all the above. Yes, we have insurance on him, but we still had to pay at the time of service, then wait to be reimbursed. So as long as you have the care credit, or credit card or some kind of savings account you should be fine. Having them on a quality food, cleaning them daily (face, ears, tails, etc), and making a conscious effort to keep things off the floor or within their reach that they could swallow, and watching them while outside for the same reasons (swallowing randoms stuff) will get you a long way. A few vitamins and supplements as well, which aren't too too bad price wise. Just like Christine said, boy are they worth it. I know that I would give just about anything for my boy.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Fantastic question..... it is awesome that you are doing all the research and information finding. Just this reason is why so many end up in rescue/shelters... people jump at buying the cute wrinkled baby and never know what really is all involved.

You do not have to be rich, but willing to spend the money to keep them healthy. The better the food and daily maintenance care... the less likely you will be at the vet. Once you find the right food (could be months of trial and error) you do prevent a lot of the issues with skin, ears, paws... so, even thought a bag of food may be $70... it is high quality so you feed less and the bag will last 5-6 weeks, so you are kind of only paying around $10 a week for food , which if it keeps away vet visits (outside of the normal wellness) it is worth the spend. That said, there are things due to bad/poor breeding or just roll of the dice that you may have to deal with (cherry eye, tail amputation, palate reduction, nares widen, enthropian).

Pet insurance is great if you get the plan as soon as you get a puppy and there is no medical history.... most companies do not cover any pre-existing conditions and some consider a conversation with your vet for information as pre-existing. Based on that, what we have done for the past 12 yrs, is have a credit card just for the pups and it is used only for emergency vet bills (surgery, ER trips, etc.).

one big piece to keep in mind... these babies give so much love they are more than worth their weight in gold :heart:
hope that helps

Well said Christine and right on the button

Chanelle13

Jan 8, 2016
Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Romulan & Roscoe
Bullys are expensive to buy yes, and in my opinion they are no more expensive for food and care etc then any other dog. Emergency vet trips happen to all animals and if you are taking good care of your pet hopefully there should be less vet visits :) When we got our boy I bought a "bulldog for dummys" book and it was VERY helpful! Bullys give you so much love its WORTH EVERY PENNY.

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
Bullys are expensive to buy yes, and in my opinion they are no more expensive for food and care etc then any other dog. Emergency vet trips happen to all animals and if you are taking good care of your pet hopefully there should be less vet visits :) When we got our boy I bought a "bulldog for dummys" book and it was VERY helpful! Bullys give you so much love its WORTH EVERY PENNY.

excellent! i will look into that book, thank you.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
You have been given excellent advice from everyone already, and I agree, you don't have to be rich, but you do have to plan. We had insurance for the first 2 years for Bulldozer and Blossom, we had the Wellness Plan which covered their vaccinations, stool samples, spay and neuter surgeries, and checkups. Now that they are 4 years old, we put money aside each month in case they need a surgery. My vet has a plan where you pay $30 for the first visit, and you pay $25 a month which covers their vaccinations, stool samples, heart worm checks, 3 checkups for the year, one emergency visit, and one home visit if they are to sick to come to the office. It doesn't cover surgeries if they need, or medications, but it works out to $305 a year which you would pay when you take them in the spring for their vaccinations, heart worm and stool samples and their rabies shot. The exam price alone is $75 each time you bring them to the vet for something, so 3 exams would pay for itself as well. It makes it more affordable and manageable at $25 a month. I also believe in preventative care and feeding a good quality food and giving natural supplements to keep them healthy. I bathe them regularly, and give them natural supplements such as plain unsweetened yogurt for the Probiotics, it is good for digestion, and boosts the immune system, they also get Coconut Oil for the Omega Fatty Acids, which is good for many things like their skin and coat, and the brain, I also give them apple cider vinegar everyday. ACV has many health benefits for both people and dogs, it is a natural anti inflammatory, and a natural anti bacterial and anti fungal, and it also balances the Ph levels of the blood, it also boosts the immune system, I also give them Kelp.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If my husband and I had waited to be rich,we would not have had anything. BUT we did have a rich life and good and bad times and lots of animals. I learned how to treat many problems myself,when I could. If we waited 'til we were rich,he would still be gone, and I'd still be waiting. Don't over think things-enjoy life while you can! Best Wishes!

OP
megdav

megdav

Jan 26, 2016
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
none yet
If my husband and I had waited to be rich,we would not have had anything. BUT we did have a rich life and good and bad times and lots of animals. I learned how to treat many problems myself,when I could. If we waited 'til we were rich,he would still be gone, and I'd still be waiting. Don't over think things-enjoy life while you can! Best Wishes!

aww thanks Lynn. and you have me pegged, i overthink everything :) I need to find a happy medium somewhere because other times i will jump right into something and be like "oops". I like your advice though. I know what you mean. i feel that way about rob and i having children. if we had waited till we had enough money we probably would never have had our 3 kids <3

Donnam

Nov 5, 2014
Dallas, Texas (Richardson)
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winnie
Yes, Meg, that's the insurance I have. I was directed to them by a friend of mine who has had it for years for her Goldens and was very happy with it. A couple of her dogs got cancer at the end of their lives and it paid for their treatments. This is my first time for having health insurance on my dogs, so the jury is still out on whether it's a good deal or not, but so far so good. I've also heard good things about TruPanion. I think probably if you saved the same amount as your monthly premiums, you'd be ready for a big expense--but who really does that?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
1aa1e4866b1a9a5139c7be51504d86e2.jpg

I got rescue , she was 4 1/2 when I got her. I love her to pieces❤️ I know that I missed her baby months and watching her blossom into a young lady. I seen her developed in so many ways behavior wise bec she has to be the only dog and no other dogs or cats.

She's not social able with other dogs and I am ok with it. She loves people and children to give her attention big ham!

I apologize for such a lengthy reply . Yes, save a little money on the side for vet visits. I would highly recommend rescue that way you will get familiar with the breed or talk to someone you know with a bulldog in your area. My former neighbor had a bulldog puppy and that's how learned about the breed.

PorkChop has made my life complete , I am not rich nor poor. I am blessed and happy to be a bulldog mommy❤️[emoji190]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.