Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Default does frank need to lose a few lbs

piggybacking off dolphin's thread... it got me wondering if frank's waist needs to be a little more defined? he's about 49-50 lbs right now. small guy.

-img_5877-jpg

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: does frank need to lose a few lbs

I can still see the curves before the hips and he appears OK to me. It is when you don't see the curves that you have to be concerned and a possible diet maybe in order.

3. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

I am thinking maybe just go for a 2-3 lb weight loss. I want him to be as agile and healthy as possible

Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)

I asked my vet that question. She said that she can feel a slight layer of fat, but that it is ok because she can still feel the rib cage. I make sure to take my dog for walks, but i feel he gets the most exercise when I throw him the ball and he brings it back to my front porch instead of me. I can't call it fetch because he doesn't come back to me.

Mine is 53lbs and 9 months. So I'm not going on weight but on the feel of his bones under his skin.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post
    I am thinking maybe just go for a 2-3 lb weight loss. I want him to be as agile and healthy as possible
    probably not a bad idea.... cut back on his kibble and replace with a veggie -- green beans were great for Banks!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

7. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

While his waist doesn't look too defined, his actual weight is good. Maybe a few pounds wouldn't hurt. The funny thing is Tyson has a very defined waist, but the boy is huge, and he has a belly, lol. Last vet visit he was 74lbs, but he's been as high as 85 once. He is much larger though than most bullies....

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

9. Likes harveyspecter, Texas Carol liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

@TyTysmom He is MORE to love
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

11. Likes TyTysmom, Texas Carol liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

-20131130_140659-jpgBefore

-20160130_151235-jpgAfter

To be honest, I would say that Frank should/could loose a few pounds. I was noticing that Goob's hips were disappearing so I made him lose several pounds. I never weighed him in the first place, I just went by looks. He was never too chubby but the older he gets, I want him to be free of all unnecessary weight. He gets walked daily. The only thing I changed was his food amount. He gets 1 cup of kibble in the morning and one cup at night.

When I want him to loose weight, I give him a little less than a cup instead of a full cup (kibble to the top of the line). I fill a measuring cup then shake off some kibble from the top of it and then feed him. This works for us. I rather Goob be on the slender side than the heavy side simply because it may eliminate problems in the future. Good luck with Mr. Frank.
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

13. Likes Texas Carol, madie4589 liked this post
    Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

goob looks great in the after pic!! I definitely agree, it's like one day i just looked at frank and was like when did you get so big?! he used to have such a nice little waist. he has a vet checkup today for vaccinations and I'm worried they'll say something about his weight

got the boyfriend to confess that he gives a 'heaping' cup every time he feeds frank. so... there we have it! we've gone down to 3/4 cup, 2x daily, no treats for the time being. supplementing with green beans as needed. frank is not happy!

15. Likes Goob14 liked this post
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Goob
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by madie4589 View Post
    goob looks great in the after pic!! I definitely agree, it's like one day i just looked at frank and was like when did you get so big?! he used to have such a nice little waist. he has a vet checkup today for vaccinations and I'm worried they'll say something about his weight

got the boyfriend to confess that he gives a 'heaping' cup every time he feeds frank. so... there we have it! we've gone down to 3/4 cup, 2x daily, no treats for the time being. supplementing with green beans as needed. frank is not happy!
    Thanks!! I was in the same boat. I was looking at other posts on here thinking, "I know Mr. Goob has a nice little waist." Well, when I went to check him out, his waist was nowhere to be found!!! You should see a difference in Frank within the next few weeks. I would suggest taking before and after pictures (I wish I had them of Goob with the same background in the same position). He doesn't look like he needs to lose much. If 3/4 of a cup is not filling enough, you can do a level cup full OR a few kibbles less than a cup if Frank seems too hungry. Whatever works for you guys. Keep us posted on his progress!!
    The righteous care for the needs of their animals,
    but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel.

Remove Ads