does frank need to lose a few lbs

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
piggybacking off dolphin's thread... it got me wondering if frank's waist needs to be a little more defined? he's about 49-50 lbs right now. small guy.

IMG_5877.jpg

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
I can still see the curves before the hips and he appears OK to me. It is when you don't see the curves that you have to be concerned and a possible diet maybe in order.

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I am thinking maybe just go for a 2-3 lb weight loss. I want him to be as agile and healthy as possible :)

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I asked my vet that question. She said that she can feel a slight layer of fat, but that it is ok because she can still feel the rib cage. I make sure to take my dog for walks, but i feel he gets the most exercise when I throw him the ball and he brings it back to my front porch instead of me. I can't call it fetch because he doesn't come back to me.

Mine is 53lbs and 9 months. So I'm not going on weight but on the feel of his bones under his skin.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am thinking maybe just go for a 2-3 lb weight loss. I want him to be as agile and healthy as possible :)

probably not a bad idea.... cut back on his kibble and replace with a veggie -- green beans were great for Banks!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
While his waist doesn't look too defined, his actual weight is good. Maybe a few pounds wouldn't hurt. The funny thing is Tyson has a very defined waist, but the boy is huge, and he has a belly, lol. Last vet visit he was 74lbs, but he's been as high as 85 once. :fie: He is much larger though than most bullies....

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13133]TyTysmom[/MENTION] He is MORE to love:heart::luv:

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
20131130_140659.jpgBefore

20160130_151235.jpgAfter

To be honest, I would say that Frank should/could loose a few pounds. I was noticing that Goob's hips were disappearing so I made him lose several pounds. I never weighed him in the first place, I just went by looks. He was never too chubby but the older he gets, I want him to be free of all unnecessary weight. He gets walked daily. The only thing I changed was his food amount. He gets 1 cup of kibble in the morning and one cup at night.

When I want him to loose weight, I give him a little less than a cup instead of a full cup (kibble to the top of the line). I fill a measuring cup then shake off some kibble from the top of it and then feed him. This works for us. I rather Goob be on the slender side than the heavy side simply because it may eliminate problems in the future. Good luck with Mr. Frank:).

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
goob looks great in the after pic!! I definitely agree, it's like one day i just looked at frank and was like when did you get so big?! he used to have such a nice little waist. he has a vet checkup today for vaccinations and I'm worried they'll say something about his weight :ashamed:

got the boyfriend to confess that he gives a 'heaping' cup every time he feeds frank. so... there we have it! we've gone down to 3/4 cup, 2x daily, no treats for the time being. supplementing with green beans as needed. frank is not happy!

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
goob looks great in the after pic!! I definitely agree, it's like one day i just looked at frank and was like when did you get so big?! he used to have such a nice little waist. he has a vet checkup today for vaccinations and I'm worried they'll say something about his weight :ashamed:

got the boyfriend to confess that he gives a 'heaping' cup every time he feeds frank. so... there we have it! we've gone down to 3/4 cup, 2x daily, no treats for the time being. supplementing with green beans as needed. frank is not happy!

Thanks!!:) I was in the same boat. I was looking at other posts on here thinking, "I know Mr. Goob has a nice little waist." Well, when I went to check him out, his waist was nowhere to be found:ashamed:!!! You should see a difference in Frank within the next few weeks. I would suggest taking before and after pictures (I wish I had them of Goob with the same background in the same position). He doesn't look like he needs to lose much. If 3/4 of a cup is not filling enough, you can do a level cup full OR a few kibbles less than a cup if Frank seems too hungry. Whatever works for you guys:). Keep us posted on his progress!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.