Dry nose is cracked, poor fella

peteyrulz

Sep 20, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey
Petey is almost 11 & in great health. (Knock on wood!)

His only problem is his nose; it's cracked, dry, & bumpy. I have
tried coconut oil, Snout Soother, Aquaphor, vaseline, Desitin.
The last few months he's started licking every ointment/oil
that I've tried. Bad taste doesn't seem to bother him! He loves coconut
oil but it's gone from his nose in a flash.

Any suggestions in how to soften his nose? Is there
any trick to getting him to stop licking? TIA!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Little stinker! I would continue with the coconut oil or Aquaphor... They are some of the best--- i also use mushers secret

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=12854]peteyrulz[/MENTION] How about as soon as you put application of whatever you use,on his nose,
if he is not allergic,stick a blob of peanut butter on his "roof" and that will keep him busy until the stuff can do his nose some good. :yes:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We use Aquaphor on occasion. Do you give him regular tap water? If not, I would try filtered, this could help his nose. Did wonders for us when Tyson's nose was all dry & crusty. [MENTION=12854]peteyrulz[/MENTION]

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Mine licks his coconut oil off too. I distract mine with something to lick off my hand, a toy, or a bowl of food. He forgets long enough to let some soak in.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Another member had tried moistening her bulldog's nose first with a warm, damp rag, then applying the ointment. She said it worked better and the ointment absorbed into the nose quicker.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
My boxer had issues w/this… I would take a washcloth w/warm water and rub her nose gently to get the dried flakes off. Then dry it well, and put Aquaphor on it… I did this daily until it looked better, then I could do it just once a week.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue MoJo
I use Chapstick. Regular applications are important. Kerasolv used to be the go-to med for dry noses but it's out of production now. Grrrr.

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for posting about this - I was just going to make a search for what to put on Castor's dry nose! I cannot imagine him not licking coconut oil off but I will give it a go!

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
Porkchop has a dry nose and looks 'thick'. Vet says his tongue isn't long enough to exfoliate. I used coconut oil for awhile and soon little black crumbles came off when he rubbed his nose on the carpet. But he started getting yeast infections. I tried Snout Soother but too hard to put on. Now I am using Aquaphor, letting it soften on my finger before applying. He can't lick any of this stuff off because his tongue doesn't reach up that far. Pork fights all attempts but I'm being more diligent. His nose just looks awful and he rubs it on the Carpet often. Do any of the dogs hate having their noses messed with?

MissWaddles13

Jan 17, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pork Chop (2009-2019) Bruschi
Mine wipes her snout on the furniture and runs around like her nose is on fire lol she's drama all this after I put coconut oil on her nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.