Question About Tails

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I don't get it but my boyfriend thinks it would be cool for our next English Bulldog to have a longer tail like the american bulldogs have. I don't like the idea at all and I told him I was 99.9% sure that that wasn't an option. As I understand English Bulldogs are born with the little pig tails, not that they are docked as babies. Is that correct?

Last edited:

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
I think many breeders dock them, but I have seen a few with really long tails as well. I remember once someone telling me that a long tail is good.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 311

HighDesertBulldogs

Mar 23, 2010
Northern California near the Oregon border
Bulldog(s) Names
Nitro, Sierra & Reina
The bulldog standard says this about tails: Tail -- The tail may be either straight or "screwed" (but never curved or curly), and in any case must be short, hung low, with decided downward carriage, thick root and fine tip. If straight, the tail should be cylindrical and of uniform taper. If "screwed", the bends or kinks should be well-defined, and they may be abrupt and even knotty, but no portion of the member should be elevated above the base or root.

http://www.thebca.org/ilstd.html

Attachments

• 12-27-14.jpg
    12-27-14.jpg
    263.9 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:

kavrno

Mar 7, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Bulldog(s) Names
Roxie
Bulldogs are born with short tails or cork screw tails but the ideal tail even for show dogs is a straight tail that is 5-6 inchs long with a little crook in the tail. Our female who is not a show dog and is spayed was in a fun match we were having for our Reno Bulldog Club and she got the award for the best tail. We did get a female into rescue a definite Bulldog, very short faced, she has a long tail but not like an American Bulldog or Pitbulls who have thin long tails, its fat and heavy more like a Beagle tail. It could be a throw back from past breedings we don't know, her new mom loves her anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpg
    IMG_3514.jpg
    637 KB · Views: 205
OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Wow good to know thank you. Is there anyway to tell that is has been docked and they weren't born that way?

Attachments

• puppy girl.JPG
    puppy girl.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 159
  • puppy face.JPG
    puppy face.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 248
  • playing.JPG
    playing.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 176
  • My puppies.PNG
    My puppies.PNG
    169.8 KB · Views: 125

Mugzilla

Mar 24, 2010
southern bell
Bulldog(s) Names
www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
yikes! if any breeder docks them, they are not a very sharp tool in the shed! :rolleyes: eb's tails are not meant to be docked. they're naturally born with shorter tails.

in europe, the tails tend to be a little longer (though still short--like to the booty hole or just covering it). in america, you can have up to that, or so short that you can't even see that they have a tail (though that is not desirable in show dogs).

one thing you certainly don't want is an inverted tail--where the tail screws 'into' the body. my tilly had that and it had pockets in there that no matter how many times you cleaned each day, it constantly got infected and eventually was amputated. when my tilly was little, she just looked like she had a little piggy cork screw tail. as she grew older, the tail screwed 'in'.

but you're correct--eb's are born with short tails. they're not docked--at least they shouldn't be.

Attachments

• pups 002.JPG
    pups 002.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 188
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435505025.860965.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435505025.860965.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 174
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434199216.127328.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434199216.127328.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 132
  • Cheli and Lambeau wrestling 005.jpg
    Cheli and Lambeau wrestling 005.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 212
  • 1.19.15 025.jpg
    1.19.15 025.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 178
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 172
OP
TessaAndSamson

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Sam has an inverted tail too but it has never turned into a big deal. When he was little he was scooting his butt across the carpet alot. First they thought he just needed his anal glands expressed. When that didn't work I went back and they discovered the inverted tail. They gave me waterless shampoo to spray on a cloth, clean under the tail with that then wipe with a masaleb pledglet. I do that a couple times-once a week and keep up on his anal gland expressions and it has never been an issue since, it's been over 3 years.

MissBailey

May 23, 2010
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lil Miss Bailey
yikes! if any breeder docks them, they are not a very sharp tool in the shed! :rolleyes: eb's tails are not meant to be docked. they're naturally born with shorter tails.

in europe, the tails tend to be a little longer (though still short--like to the booty hole or just covering it). in america, you can have up to that, or so short that you can't even see that they have a tail (though that is not desirable in show dogs).

one thing you certainly don't want is an inverted tail--where the tail screws 'into' the body. my tilly had that and it had pockets in there that no matter how many times you cleaned each day, it constantly got infected and eventually was amputated. when my tilly was little, she just looked like she had a little piggy cork screw tail. as she grew older, the tail screwed 'in'.

but you're correct--eb's are born with short tails. they're not docked--at least they shouldn't be.

I would be very concerned with a breeder who is cropping tails. Keeping the breed pure should be the goal not cosmetic surgery. I agree with you they should not be docked!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online