Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
For the last 3 days Daisy hasn't went to the toilet indoors and because of this she is very rarely in her crate and spends most of her day with the family and has done for the last week or so in the living room, but now I am having serious issues with her at night with constant barking when she is in her crate, I have had to let my 7 year old son sleep with his dad and I have been sleeping in his room as his room is above the kitchen were her crate is and the barking was waking him. So I was thinking that at night maybe I should leave her crate open and put some newspaper down to give her more space at night so she isn't so confined but I am afraid that this might mess up the effort we have put into the house training, to be honest I am exhausted and I am getting very little sleep and I am having to go back to bed after the kids go to school and funny enough I put her in her crate and there isn't a sound from her but she wouldn't be in it more than 2 hours. I really think that she is just missing the company lol. I am up this morning with her from 5am and she is snoring away happily on her bed at my feet as I am typing this lol...on the upside I get to do my cleaning done before breakfast :p:p
(She is now 15 weeks old):mellow:

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Maybe you could put the crate in or close to your room so she could still hear you? That's what I did with Murray and it worked pretty well

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
All My guys are crated but in the bedroom , these guys just want to be close to you all , I have never had much luck closing there door so i leave it open and put puppy pads down if we are still in training mode , once that is over I remove the pads , My little Rosie is just at the cusp of not needing the pads now and she is moving to 7 months old , mind all dogs are different in my view Tilly was done with pads at 3 months . I do remove the crates if after time they are not interested in them but I leave that up to them to decide , some like there own place with there toys and blankets , I also use those blankets when they are going to the vets especially if it is a overnighter stay at the vets. One other idea to try has worked for Me as a comfort zone idea for them is I use a day worn shirt I wore that day and put it in there crate , my scent is on it and it gives a bit of a comfort to them I find especially when staying overnighter at the vets , might work in your case , worth a try .

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
A lot of good information here already. Jewel and Bentley sleep with us and we still have room. "Five Texans per bed" the saying goes...although we are not in Texas right now. We do not have a barking issue except for Bentley when there is a loud noise outside.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Maybe you could put the crate in or close to your room so she could still hear you? That's what I did with Murray and it worked pretty well

:goodpost: I have Willow in a crate in my bathroom, the door is open so she can hear us in the bedroom.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
While I would love to sleep in the same room as my bulldog, his snoring would keep me up. My kitchen has two doorways, I have his crate backed up to one doorway and a baby gate on the other. He sleeps in his crate most nights with the door open, but I do hear him getting up sometimes. When it is time for him to go to bed, I make sure there is no source of light for him otherwise he will not go to bed and will bark for attention.

So if sleeping in the same room doesn't help, try turning off all lights including the night lights in the area.

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Good job Daisy on the potty training!! Sounds like Daisy is missing her family at night. I would suggest having her inside the crate near or in your bedroom. Once she is not restless for a few weeks you can try to move it further away from your bedroom and see how she adapts. Try throwing an old t-shirt in her crate to ease the anxiety of being away from the family. Do not open the crate when she is barking tho. You don't want her to associate the barking with being rewarded out of the crate. I don't think giving Daisy more room alone in the kitchen at night would help stop the barking.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=15374]Harriett[/MENTION] You have received some great suggestions. When ever I have a pup, they sleep in a crate next to my bed. I usually put a towel or blanket over all but the door,at night. I have really never had one that barked,but a few have whined, and I just tell them "bedtime, go to sleep". My 5 year old Frug loves her crate and runs right in at night. I have always given them a couple of broken up treats when they go in. I have never used a crate as punishment.I agree,if you want to crate train her,do not give in to her.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with the gang.... can you move her crate to your bedroom? Bulldogs are all about being with their human so if she knows she is not with you and you are in the house... she is trying to find or get your attention. We did this with all our pups and then once fully potty trained... we let them sleep with us :)

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I leave Chunky in the mudroom which isn't 5 steps outside of my bedroom. I have a crate in there of him which he sleeps in during the day because it the darkest spot in the house since it as a towel over it but I do not shut the door to it except when i need to do something in that room and he gets in the way. He doesnt bark but plays with the door stop when he knows i am awake and he wants out. LOL

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thank you everyone so much. Believe it or not i wrecked my Brain all day yesterday after seeing all the tips so I decided that I would try my own suggestion for 1 night before I moved her upstairs and what do you no but it worked!!! :. A few seconds of barking and that was it, I got up this morning at 6.30 came down and was super happy that there was only 1 poo which she done on the paper, also Kimde I turned the light out I used to leave the cooker light on for her..so I can say that I am 1 happy mama this morning, :)

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
Thank you everyone so much. Believe it or not i wrecked my Brain all day yesterday after seeing all the tips so I decided that I would try my own suggestion for 1 night before I moved her upstairs and what do you no but it worked!!! :. A few seconds of barking and that was it, I got up this morning at 6.30 came down and was super happy that there was only 1 poo which she done on the paper, also Kimde I turned the light out I used to leave the cooker light on for her..so I can say that I am 1 happy mama this morning, :)

I'm glad it helped. Hope those bulldog snores didn't keep you up.

I'm a bad mommy and like to record him snoring.

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online