My Bully Sleeps WAYYYYYYYYYY to much every day ! What's up with this ?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
My English Bulldog, Maximus, sleeps about 22-hours per day, everyday. He gets up to eat, and goes right back to bed. I just find this very unusual for any breed of dog, and am wondering if any other bulldog owner
experiences this same thing. He is 6-years old, and is way beyond the "playing" stage, plus he suffered a
horrible ACL injury to both knees in mid-December, so he still walks with a limp. But Sleeping 22-hours per day just seems rather excessive to me for any dog.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Ya there is nothing A.D.D about Bullies they sleep a lot and as they get older even more
Diva was 11 going on 12 and she would pretty well sleep all day and all night waking to eat and PooP, she really stayed awake once rosie came home as a 8 week old was way way more active right up to her last days it was a huge change to see

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Funny enough there are times I wish mines would sleep alday especially at night so I don't have to get up at crazy hours to clean her crate out lol. My husbands cousin had 4 and he says 3 of them slept alday and refused to go on walks but the 4th was the complete opposite. I would be interested to hear what sleep patterns our other members bully's have.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Funny enough there are times I wish mines would sleep alday especially at night so I don't have to get up at crazy hours to clean her crate out lol. My husbands cousin had 4 and he says 3 of them slept alday and refused to go on walks but the 4th was the complete opposite. I would be interested to hear what sleep patterns our other members bully's have.

My two guys are quite the opposite to each other, they have very different personalities and energy levels, even though they are siblings and litter mates. Bulldozer is very laid back and quiet, he has never barked and doesn't whine when he has to go out, he is just on the same schedule as his sister and goes out with her when she whines. Dozer loves to sleep and snuggle, he is very lazy and he hates to walk. He would rather just sit beside you and snuggle or cuddle and sleep the day away. He isn't as strong as his sister, he has a genetic defect in his jaw, which caused his jaw to grow longer than normal, and so he can't close his mouth completely, he is also congenitally missing two of his lower molars, which cause him to eat slower, and he has a lot of allergies to food. Blossom is the total opposite, she has too much energy, and loves to walk, she loves going on long walks and hikes, and she is always in play mode. She also loves to cuddle, but it's more on her time and when she's finished being crazy.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have found my two now are only a active as I am with them..... if I do not interact, make them walk or take them out to the yard, they will just lay and sleep 20+ hours a day. Lambeau will entertain himself with a bone or tennis ball for a little while, but Cheli needs to be interacting with one of us. Banks and Nitschke were the same as Cheli -- if we did not interact with them -- they would sleep all day.

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
As Maximus has gotten older, he has lost his interest in "Playing" and has lost all interest in Toys of any kind. Go figure! I don't get it.
If I lay on the floor with him, he will give me face licks for an hour! He loves to give you kisses and face-licks, so I try and at least
provide that for him everyday so that he and I always have some bonding time together each day. Other then that, he loves to sleep
where it is warm and dark.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
@Maximus You mentioned he suffered two ACL injuries in mid-December. He might be in a bit of pain to do anything if those are not repaired or on some sort of pain meds. If he is walking with a limp...then I think he may just want to take it easy and not have any pain.

I hope it gets better...You might want to see a vet.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Tyson is the same.... unless we're walking around - he'll just lay down & snooze. If we're home, and doing things around the house he'll follow us, but during the week while we work, he's sleeping 20+ a day.... but the sleeping he does while we're home is more like naps. He doesnt go to his bed and sleep sleep like he does overnight, if that makes sense, LOL

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Our Abbott who is an Olde English is much lazier than Wheezie,she is half english half French. Both sleep a lot more in the winter months but I think that's due to the cold and our activity level.They will be 3 in a couple of weeks.Abbott has had his arthritis issues,eye issues etc.But since his laser therapy and Adequan shots he is way more playful.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
@Maximus You mentioned he suffered two ACL injuries in mid-December. He might be in a bit of pain to do anything if those are not repaired or on some sort of pain meds. If he is walking with a limp...then I think he may just want to take it easy and not have any pain.

I hope it gets better...You might want to see a vet.

Maximus is on and has been on both Rimadyl and Tramadol for the Pain and Inflammation. I doubt he is in pain at this point - he actually runs down the hall these days. He is unable to have ACL surgery because he is overweight and obese, and the anesthesia
would be way to dangerous for him in his condition. So he is on a Weight Management Diet at the present time and hopefully in
time his weight will drop, which will help his ailing knees.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
My three bulldogs are 6-9 years old, all of them sleep basically all the time. Only time they're up is if we're going for a walk or interacting with them. They don't play out of themselves, I have to play with them. I kind of like it:blush2:

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Maximus is on and has been on both Rimadyl and Tramadol for the Pain and Inflammation. I doubt he is in pain at this point - he actually runs down the hall these days. He is unable to have ACL surgery because he is overweight and obese, and the anesthesia
would be way to dangerous for him in his condition. So he is on a Weight Management Diet at the present time and hopefully in
time his weight will drop, which will help his ailing knees.

How much Ridmadyl is he getting - have you noticed improvement since he started on it?

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Oh my yes, the Inflammation in his (R) knee has gone down significantly as a result of the Rimadyl. It was very very swollen when he injured the knee in Mid-December.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Oh my yes, the Inflammation in his (R) knee has gone down significantly as a result of the Rimadyl. It was very very swollen when he injured the knee in Mid-December.

What's his dosage if I may ask? Also, did you see any side effects from it? Tyson is suffering from arthritis and I've been holding off drugging him, but I think I need to... we had been controlling it naturally for over a year, and he's done great. However, now it seems to be flaring up. I'm afraid of him being zoned out, or worse. I know bullies sleep alot, and I know your post was for this exact question - but I wonder if its the medication?

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus was on 75mg of Rimadyl 2x daily. However, I only gave it to him once per day. No, it didn't zone him out at all. It did however do a great job of reducing the Inflammation in his Knee and leg. He is no longer on the Rimadyl. His inflammation is
down and he doesn't need the medication any longer.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.