Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 44

Thread: electric fence?

  1. #1
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,799
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2608

    Default electric fence?

    Does anyone use an electric fence for their bulldogs? I have been fighting my HOA over me wanting to put up a fence since I got Chunky and even my attorney told me just to give it up until the diehard HOA members move. They will most likely since they brag about upgrading every 3-4 years. I laugh at them because I just moved out of a gated community in Miami where everyone had hedges as tall as there houses and their homes were 10 times more expensive. I am limited to 36" fence here and they don't even make fences that short.

    I hate having to keep him on a leash and now that he is bigger he tries to see how much he can get away with when outside. I look and feel like an idiot yelling and chasing him.

    My buddy has used electric fences for years with his Bullmastiff, shar pei and now his Mastiff pup and they all test to see if the fence works before backing off. They do run if the power is out or the battery is low in the collar.

    90% of the time chunky will just pee and head towards the door so I don't always have him on a leash but he has tested me the past two days

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  2. #2
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3894

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Wes...for the other homeowners in your community sure...but for Chunky no (my opinion). Bullies do not need an electric fence. Fence yes...electric no. To avoid chasing The Chunkmeister, put him on a leash and walk him around instead. I would think having your dog on leash is probably an article of the HOA. Reward him with a treat when he does good. Chunky shouldn't be outside unattended at all especially if you don't have a fence.

    Chunky...Bentley and Jewel say be good for daddy and maybe you will get a treat.

    I think @ddnene 's Walter, author of the infamous book entitled, "How I Can Make My Mommy Crazy," might help Chunky write a book, "How I Can Make My Daddy Look Like An Idiot."

    I hope this helps Wes and I hope you did not spend too much on getting counsel on the fence issue.

    Have a great day! --rj

  3. #3
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    ddnene's Avatar
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    12,735
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)
    5596

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    Does anyone use an electric fence for their bulldogs? I have been fighting my HOA over me wanting to put up a fence since I got Chunky and even my attorney told me just to give it up until the diehard HOA members move. They will most likely since they brag about upgrading every 3-4 years. I laugh at them because I just moved out of a gated community in Miami where everyone had hedges as tall as there houses and their homes were 10 times more expensive. I am limited to 36" fence here and they don't even make fences that short.

    I hate having to keep him on a leash and now that he is bigger he tries to see how much he can get away with when outside. I look and feel like an idiot yelling and chasing him.

    My buddy has used electric fences for years with his Bullmastiff, shar pei and now his Mastiff pup and they all test to see if the fence works before backing off. They do run if the power is out or the battery is low in the collar.

    90% of the time chunky will just pee and head towards the door so I don't always have him on a leash but he has tested me the past two days
    I'm confused here… your HOA refuses to allow you to have a fence? In my subdivision we are only allowed metal fencing, which I would prefer privacy wood fencing but it keeps the bulldogs in. I'm in the process of planting bushes around it to get some privacy. I honestly don't know if an electric fence would keep a stubborn bulldog in, I know my brother's lab would take the shock to get at a squirrel. And then of course the issue of somebody coming in your yard to steal your dog.

    "What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

  4. Likes Chunky White, 2BullyMama liked this post
  5. #4
    Bully lov'in wonder from down under Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Ftse 100's Avatar
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Australia
    Location
    Qld Australia
    Posts
    6,777
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    1969

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Myself I don't like the idea of an electric fence for any dog, I only have a fence in my back yard about four foot high but I never have FTSE outside on his own probably still wouldn't even if my fence was six foot high.

  6. Likes Chunky White liked this post
  7. #5
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,799
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2608

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    I'm confused here… your HOA refuses to allow you to have a fence? In my subdivision we are only allowed metal fencing, which I would prefer privacy wood fencing but it keeps the bulldogs in. I'm in the process of planting bushes around it to get some privacy. I honestly don't know if an electric fence would keep a stubborn bulldog in, I know my brother's lab would take the shock to get at a squirrel. And then of course the issue of somebody coming in your yard to steal your dog.
    Whoever drew up the original neighborhood plans put the height limit at 36". I am allowed wood, pvc or metal but it can be no taller than 36" which is to going to keep anything in out. The fence I want which is standard small fence heigh is 48" and is aluminum but looks like wrought iron and would be the best looking fence I could get and there is no privacy to it. I cannot let hedges grow over 36" if they are to be used as a fence line. I am not trying to break there rules but think the 36" is a dumb height since it is not standard height and too short for anything.

    I just figure it would be easier to let Chunky out to do his business and allow him to be out when I am if he cannot get out of the yard which is why I thought of an underground fence. I am not doing it so I could leave him out when I am in.

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  8. Likes rjisaterp, ddnene, Ftse 100 liked this post
  9. #6
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,799
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2608

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Quote Originally Posted by rjisaterp View Post
    Wes...for the other homeowners in your community sure...but for Chunky no (my opinion). Bullies do not need an electric fence. Fence yes...electric no. To avoid chasing The Chunkmeister, put him on a leash and walk him around instead. I would think having your dog on leash is probably an article of the HOA. Reward him with a treat when he does good. Chunky shouldn't be outside unattended at all especially if you don't have a fence.

    Chunky...Bentley and Jewel say be good for daddy and maybe you will get a treat.

    I think @ddnene 's Walter, author of the infamous book entitled, "How I Can Make My Mommy Crazy," might help Chunky write a book, "How I Can Make My Daddy Look Like An Idiot."

    I hope this helps Wes and I hope you did not spend too much on getting counsel on the fence issue.

    Have a great day! --rj
    I am outside when chunky is but was trying to not have to keep him on leash or tied up when i am outside of just to go pee. The neighborhood rules say he should be on a leash if outside or in a fence and nobody follows the leash rule unless they are walking the dog. I can plan on a play session if the Labrador thats is 1/8th mile or so up the road is outside and I take chunky out because she sprints to my yard to play with chunky. She is the only dog he plays with since all the other dogs are small and bite him and the lab the first chance they get.

    If a writer wants to move in hear we should have a the book "How can chunky make Wes look like an idiot" completed in a few weeks!!

    My attorney is a buddy of mine who wouldn't charge me for advise given while we were golfing but would if we went to court. He's a defense attorney but his partner which is who would represent me if I had to go to court over this would charge me then. Two neighbors out of eight i spoke with are against the fence I want and the rest could careless what I or anyone else do and even think the fence would look nice.

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  10. Likes rjisaterp liked this post
  11. #7
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,330
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3194

    Default Re: electric fence?

    We looked at a electric fence for the property , Not for the bullies tho for the Siberian and Cane Corso, The Siberian will run for 3 miles stop and say where the hell am i , we see lost ones up here all the time they are so stubborn true runners or working dogs and small game hunters , we instead put up a long run for her and it has worked well for the normal out for a quickie business #1 and #2
    All of My bulldogs have not needed a run , fence or anything they will walk off and do the business but not very far and are back at the door if i am not out with them pretty quick , If i am out we go walkabout all over the 6 acres without leads even they stay very close . When i looked into the electric fence they would give no guarantee for certain breeds they called them "The Stubborn Breeds " with being HWY frontage that was not good enough for me so I did not go there
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

  12. Likes rjisaterp, Chunky White, Texas Carol liked this post
  13. #8
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,160
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3894

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    I am outside when chunky is but was trying to not have to keep him on leash or tied up when i am outside of just to go pee. The neighborhood rules say he should be on a leash if outside or in a fence and nobody follows the leash rule unless they are walking the dog. I can plan on a play session if the Labrador thats is 1/8th mile or so up the road is outside and I take chunky out because she sprints to my yard to play with chunky. She is the only dog he plays with since all the other dogs are small and bite him and the lab the first chance they get.

    If a writer wants to move in hear we should have a the book "How can chunky make Wes look like an idiot" completed in a few weeks!!

    My attorney is a buddy of mine who wouldn't charge me for advise given while we were golfing but would if we went to court. He's a defense attorney but his partner which is who would represent me if I had to go to court over this would charge me then. Two neighbors out of eight i spoke with are against the fence I want and the rest could careless what I or anyone else do and even think the fence would look nice.
    Aah yes the male bonding on the golf course. I miss it I do. Cigars, Scotch, golf, and camaraderie (not to mention free consultation with your friend). It's a bi-otch getting old. NSA stole the golf course at Ft. Meade to put buildings up. Have not played much since. The wife and I did play at Myrtle Beach a few years ago and that was nice.

    I hope you get through your challenge as the Chunkmeister is the man...take good care.

  14. Likes Chunky White liked this post
  15. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11537

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    Whoever drew up the original neighborhood plans put the height limit at 36". I am allowed wood, pvc or metal but it can be no taller than 36" which is to going to keep anything in out. The fence I want which is standard small fence heigh is 48" and is aluminum but looks like wrought iron and would be the best looking fence I could get and there is no privacy to it. I cannot let hedges grow over 36" if they are to be used as a fence line. I am not trying to break there rules but think the 36" is a dumb height since it is not standard height and too short for anything.

    I just figure it would be easier to let Chunky out to do his business and allow him to be out when I am if he cannot get out of the yard which is why I thought of an underground fence. I am not doing it so I could leave him out when I am in.
    This isn't popular, but we had to use a shock collar with vibration for Banks due to her dominance level, but it work wonders when we were in a townhouse and fencing was prohibited -- Nitschke was the greatest dog, never left our side with or without leash, but Banks __ HA! she wanted to be in charge at ALL times, leash, collar, whatever, she would push the limit. Anyway -- once she was fully trained (as were we) the collar only had to be on her (never really used) and she listened to every command and never ran off. Now, we had a neighbor two doors down that wanted her on leash ---- I laughed and said 'she is in my control and that is state law... I'll print a copy for you if you want to see it'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  16. Likes Chunky White, Texas Carol liked this post
  17. #10
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,330
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3194

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    This isn't popular, but we had to use a shock collar with vibration for Banks due to her dominance level, but it work wonders when we were in a townhouse and fencing was prohibited -- Nitschke was the greatest dog, never left our side with or without leash, but Banks __ HA! she wanted to be in charge at ALL times, leash, collar, whatever, she would push the limit. Anyway -- once she was fully trained (as were we) the collar only had to be on her (never really used) and she listened to every command and never ran off. Now, we had a neighbor two doors down that wanted her on leash ---- I laughed and said 'she is in my control and that is state law... I'll print a copy for you if you want to see it'
    popular or not i have used those collars a few years back on again Husky s very stubborn, it was a farmer that caused Me to get one , He warned Me that if he saw my dog in his field near his cattle he would shoot it , as is his right to do so , ironically his cattle got out one day went right threw my Veggie garden tore all the potatoes to hell , i sent him a bill for $150. for seed potatoes your Damn right he paid it ! we been good friends ever since lol
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

  18. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
  19. #11
    Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,799
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)
    2608

    Default Re: electric fence?

    I will just keep him on a leash when he is out for now. He hasn't ran far when he decides he isn't coming back. But at 11:30 at night I am not in the mood to chase him around.

    Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

  20. Likes Texas Carol liked this post
  21. #12
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,330
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3194

    Default Re: electric fence?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    I will just keep him on a leash when he is out for now. He hasn't ran far when he decides he isn't coming back. But at 11:30 at night I am not in the mood to chase him around.
    Maybe for the late night outs just buy one of those screw in the ground posts , they make them much bigger now and would hold fast I would think for that one late night out
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •