electric fence?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I will just keep him on a leash when he is out for now. He hasn't ran far when he decides he isn't coming back. But at 11:30 at night I am not in the mood to chase him around.

There are 30 foot training leads that you can get too.... it is lush a thin leash that is 30 foot long

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Whoever drew up the original neighborhood plans put the height limit at 36". I am allowed wood, pvc or metal but it can be no taller than 36" which is to going to keep anything in out. The fence I want which is standard small fence heigh is 48" and is aluminum but looks like wrought iron and would be the best looking fence I could get and there is no privacy to it. I cannot let hedges grow over 36" if they are to be used as a fence line. I am not trying to break there rules but think the 36" is a dumb height since it is not standard height and too short for anything.

I just figure it would be easier to let Chunky out to do his business and allow him to be out when I am if he cannot get out of the yard which is why I thought of an underground fence. I am not doing it so I could leave him out when I am in.

I know you wouldn't leave him out alone… I was just thinking that someone (or another animal) could come up to him. Will your HOA allow you to get the standard sized fence? Seems really dumb that it's NOT at least a standard size...

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I know you wouldn't leave him out alone… I was just thinking that someone (or another animal) could come up to him. Will your HOA allow you to get the standard sized fence? Seems really dumb that it's NOT at least a standard size...

No standard is 48" and 36" is whats in the development plans. We do not even have an HOA yet and one of the neighbors has taken builders or other neighbors to court if the development plans are not followed. They cannot start an HOA until 80% if the lots have houses on them and that will never happen since everyone who has a house without a house on the lot next to them have bought the adjoining lots and a 1/4 of the other lots would take weeks worth of grading and busting rock to be able to build on them. I should of stayed at my old house that I let my sister move into and just remodeled it. I just wanted a new home that was ready to move into and love the layout of this house.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
There are 30 foot training leads that you can get too.... it is lush a thin leash that is 30 foot long

I walk him with a retractable leash but jut need to get something for now to tie up to when outside since he likes it so much and it would be a way for him to be out when I am washing the car or doing yard work

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
No standard is 48" and 36" is whats in the development plans. We do not even have an HOA yet and one of the neighbors has taken builders or other neighbors to court if the development plans are not followed. They cannot start an HOA until 80% if the lots have houses on them and that will never happen since everyone who has a house without a house on the lot next to them have bought the adjoining lots and a 1/4 of the other lots would take weeks worth of grading and busting rock to be able to build on them. I should of stayed at my old house that I let my sister move into and just remodeled it. I just wanted a new home that was ready to move into and love the layout of this house.

Oh HELL NO… I say forget that neighbor and get the fence you want. How on earth can a neighbor enforce HOA restriction?!! We moved into this subdivision because my last next door neighbor was a real a$$… he put a deer feeder behind our property so he could shoot at deer. He would ride his 4 wheeler ALL hours behind our house, and especially if we were having a cookout. He treated his driveway like a used car lot so he could work on cars :cursing: We were at our wits end… OUR HOA here however has been fighting w/us because they say our fence it over our property line, which supposedly our builder had worked out a deal w/the property owners. It's a mess, and I'm ready to move. I now want property and NOBODY around me, people make me insane.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Oh HELL NO… I say forget that neighbor and get the fence you want. How on earth can a neighbor enforce HOA restriction?!! We moved into this subdivision because my last next door neighbor was a real a$$… he put a deer feeder behind our property so he could shoot at deer. He would ride his 4 wheeler ALL hours behind our house, and especially if we were having a cookout. He treated his driveway like a used car lot so he could work on cars :cursing: We were at our wits end… OUR HOA here however has been fighting w/us because they say our fence it over our property line, which supposedly our builder had worked out a deal w/the property owners. It's a mess, and I'm ready to move. I now want property and NOBODY around me, people make me insane.

She is the attorney who helped the developer make the development restriction and the developer has since bankrupt on the rest of the unsold properties and the bank who now owns the unsold properties won't help the owners. So the homeowners and builders have to fight her in court. Her family is mega rich and she is out of control. Her jack russel is the dog who bit chunky when he was small and it was on my property off leash and Chunky couldn't avoid it since he was leashed. She hates me anyway but thats a long story!! LOL

I wish I had bought 10 acres or so and built a house but I am a city boy who like being within 5 miles or so of restaurants and stores

ddnene

Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
She is the attorney who helped the developer make the development restriction and the developer has since bankrupt on the rest of the unsold properties and the bank who now owns the unsold properties won't help the owners. So the homeowners and builders have to fight her in court. Her family is mega rich and she is out of control. Her jack russel is the dog who bit chunky when he was small and it was on my property off leash and Chunky couldn't avoid it since he was leashed. She hates me anyway but thats a long story!! LOL

I wish I had bought 10 acres or so and built a house but I am a city boy who like being within 5 miles or so of restaurants and stores

I'm a city girl too… lived outside DC for years. NOW I'm in the country and love it, but hate being around people… Lol

That is horrible, that woman sounds like a total nightmare w/too much time on her hands to sue neighbors!!!

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse

I'm really confused here wondering why you can't have fences on your own properties is it body corporate saying no? Are you living in a gated community? Just here in Australia our house is our house and you can have what fence you want but in gated communities it's different then you have to follow their silly rules, so is this what we are talking about with the HOA
I too want to move from my neighbours and dread if I do the neighbours could be even worse and I would have been better of staying here and I don't really want to move back to land as for the snakes etc here. We get them in suburban but on acerage seems so bad my granddaughter had a brown snake (deadly) on her front door yesterday that I could not deal with.

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I'm really confused here wondering why you can't have fences on your own properties is it body corporate saying no? Are you living in a gated community? Just here in Australia our house is our house and you can have what fence you want but in gated communities it's different then you have to follow their silly rules, so is this what we are talking about with the HOA
I too want to move from my neighbours and dread if I do the neighbours could be even worse and I would have been better of staying here and I don't really want to move back to land as for the snakes etc here. We get them in suburban but on acerage seems so bad my granddaughter had a brown snake (deadly) on her front door yesterday that I could not deal with.

I live in a newly developed neighborhood which has guidelines you have to follow like how much of the house has to be brick vs wood and no vinyl or aluminum siding. All driveways have to be concrete and no broke down cars can sit in the driveway. The landscaping has to be approved but nobody has followed that rule yet and fences or hedges can only be so high. Once so many houses are built a Home Owners Association "HOA" has to be started and the developer will no longer be able to enforce the guidelines.

It is to keep the neighborhood nice and I understand that but whoever drew up the guidelines for my neighborhood obviously had no idea what they were doing on a lot of it. The original developers were a couple of Dr's and the attorney used which is my neighbor was just out of college and knew nothing about what she was doing.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I live in a newly developed neighborhood which has guidelines you have to follow like how much of the house has to be brick vs wood and no vinyl or aluminum siding. All driveways have to be concrete and no broke down cars can sit in the driveway. The landscaping has to be approved but nobody has followed that rule yet and fences or hedges can only be so high. Once so many houses are built a Home Owners Association "HOA" has to be started and the developer will no longer be able to enforce the guidelines.

It is to keep the neighborhood nice and I understand that but whoever drew up the guidelines for my neighborhood obviously had no idea what they were doing on a lot of it. The original developers were a couple of Dr's and the attorney used which is my neighbor was just out of college and knew nothing about what she was doing.

Now I understand we have them here too they are called covariant here, I was just confused as I didn't think that was the fences too but my husband said it is.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
Does anyone use an electric fence for their bulldogs? I have been fighting my HOA over me wanting to put up a fence since I got Chunky and even my attorney told me just to give it up until the diehard HOA members move. They will most likely since they brag about upgrading every 3-4 years. I laugh at them because I just moved out of a gated community in Miami where everyone had hedges as tall as there houses and their homes were 10 times more expensive. I am limited to 36" fence here and they don't even make fences that short.

I hate having to keep him on a leash and now that he is bigger he tries to see how much he can get away with when outside. I look and feel like an idiot yelling and chasing him.

My buddy has used electric fences for years with his Bullmastiff, shar pei and now his Mastiff pup and they all test to see if the fence works before backing off. They do run if the power is out or the battery is low in the collar.

90% of the time chunky will just pee and head towards the door so I don't always have him on a leash but he has tested me the past two days

Hello there! I wanted to resurrect this thread to ask what you've decided. I am in the EXACT same position in my neighborhood in Pennsylvania, EXACT situation. I had enjoyed being only 1 of 3 houses here for 5 years but we are PACKED LIKE RATS now. I am always looking for that great piece of land but until then my girl Joey LOVES to be with me outside. She is 8 months old now, always on a leash when we are outside, for her own protection from the cars here now.

With spring around the corner I wanted to figure out a way that she can be in the yard with me as I do gardening, lawn work, etc. and NOT BE TIED up to a stake or something. So.......have you decided what you are going to do? Thank you for letting me jump in on the conversation!

Susan

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Hello there! I wanted to resurrect this thread to ask what you've decided. I am in the EXACT same position in my neighborhood in Pennsylvania, EXACT situation. I had enjoyed being only 1 of 3 houses here for 5 years but we are PACKED LIKE RATS now. I am always looking for that great piece of land but until then my girl Joey LOVES to be with me outside. She is 8 months old now, always on a leash when we are outside, for her own protection from the cars here now.

With spring around the corner I wanted to figure out a way that she can be in the yard with me as I do gardening, lawn work, etc. and NOT BE TIED up to a stake or something. So.......have you decided what you are going to do? Thank you for letting me jump in on the conversation!

Susan

I still haven't done anything since I feel like fighting to get a standard 48" high fence versus a 36" one which is what is allowed. I am not sure how well an underground fence would work with a Bulldog either since they are so wrinkly and tough and like others have said I have watched dogs run though them when they are determined to get out.

sisters3

Oct 29, 2015
Pennsylvania
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
My Girl Joey
I still haven't done anything since I feel like fighting to get a standard 48" high fence versus a 36" one which is what is allowed. I am not sure how well an underground fence would work with a Bulldog either since they are so wrinkly and tough and like others have said I have watched dogs run though them when they are determined to get out.

Well good luck with your fight for the higher fence. I could never hope to win that battle here...no fences AT ALL!! Ugggg. A friend told me that with the electric fence you can set it to noise only...but perhaps that wouldn't keep Joey from the street, which is my greatest concern, her safety. Well thank you and I hope you win your fight!! My search continues......

OP
Chunky White

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Well good luck with your fight for the higher fence. I could never hope to win that battle here...no fences AT ALL!! Ugggg. A friend told me that with the electric fence you can set it to noise only...but perhaps that wouldn't keep Joey from the street, which is my greatest concern, her safety. Well thank you and I hope you win your fight!! My search continues......

My thing is i like taking Chunky for walks and for some reason if going the underground fence route I would do the whole yard and not just the backyard which is what I use if I put an above ground one up. I might look into them more and just do the back with underground if I keep losing my attempt at the wrought iron fence

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
No offense(off fence) to all of you who have an HOA, but I can't even imagine why anyone would buy a home,and have to follow someone else's rules. My sister lives where they were only allowed to put up certain type fence,and no carports(she has been there for years) and when I found that out, I was shocked. I guess I was naive,as I couldn't believe that you have your OWN home and have to follow someone else's rules. As far as junk cars,I could understand. And [MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] I agree with your take on people! What are member of EBN? They certainly can't be PEOPLE!! They are too :love:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.