Country
    Australia
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ftse
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: electric fence?

Quote Originally Posted by Chunky White View Post
    I live in a newly developed neighborhood which has guidelines you have to follow like how much of the house has to be brick vs wood and no vinyl or aluminum siding. All driveways have to be concrete and no broke down cars can sit in the driveway. The landscaping has to be approved but nobody has followed that rule yet and fences or hedges can only be so high. Once so many houses are built a Home Owners Association "HOA" has to be started and the developer will no longer be able to enforce the guidelines.

It is to keep the neighborhood nice and I understand that but whoever drew up the guidelines for my neighborhood obviously had no idea what they were doing on a lot of it. The original developers were a couple of Dr's and the attorney used which is my neighbor was just out of college and knew nothing about what she was doing.
    Now I understand we have them here too they are called covariant here, I was just confused as I didn't think that was the fences too but my husband said it is.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member sisters3's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Does anyone use an electric fence for their bulldogs? I have been fighting my HOA over me wanting to put up a fence since I got Chunky and even my attorney told me just to give it up until the diehard HOA members move. They will most likely since they brag about upgrading every 3-4 years. I laugh at them because I just moved out of a gated community in Miami where everyone had hedges as tall as there houses and their homes were 10 times more expensive. I am limited to 36" fence here and they don't even make fences that short.

I hate having to keep him on a leash and now that he is bigger he tries to see how much he can get away with when outside. I look and feel like an idiot yelling and chasing him.

My buddy has used electric fences for years with his Bullmastiff, shar pei and now his Mastiff pup and they all test to see if the fence works before backing off. They do run if the power is out or the battery is low in the collar.

90% of the time chunky will just pee and head towards the door so I don't always have him on a leash but he has tested me the past two days
    Hello there! I wanted to resurrect this thread to ask what you've decided. I am in the EXACT same position in my neighborhood in Pennsylvania, EXACT situation. I had enjoyed being only 1 of 3 houses here for 5 years but we are PACKED LIKE RATS now. I am always looking for that great piece of land but until then my girl Joey LOVES to be with me outside. She is 8 months old now, always on a leash when we are outside, for her own protection from the cars here now.

With spring around the corner I wanted to figure out a way that she can be in the yard with me as I do gardening, lawn work, etc. and NOT BE TIED up to a stake or something. So.......have you decided what you are going to do? Thank you for letting me jump in on the conversation!

Susan

Chunky's Chauffeur Become a 4 Paw Member Chunky White's Avatar
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Hello there! I wanted to resurrect this thread to ask what you've decided. I am in the EXACT same position in my neighborhood in Pennsylvania, EXACT situation. I had enjoyed being only 1 of 3 houses here for 5 years but we are PACKED LIKE RATS now. I am always looking for that great piece of land but until then my girl Joey LOVES to be with me outside. She is 8 months old now, always on a leash when we are outside, for her own protection from the cars here now.

With spring around the corner I wanted to figure out a way that she can be in the yard with me as I do gardening, lawn work, etc. and NOT BE TIED up to a stake or something. So.......have you decided what you are going to do? Thank you for letting me jump in on the conversation!

Susan

I still haven't done anything since I feel like fighting to get a standard 48" high fence versus a 36" one which is what is allowed. I am not sure how well an underground fence would work with a Bulldog either since they are so wrinkly and tough and like others have said I have watched dogs run though them when they are determined to get out.

Owner: Wes
    Bulldog: Chunky White

Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

I still haven't done anything since I feel like fighting to get a standard 48" high fence versus a 36" one which is what is allowed. I am not sure how well an underground fence would work with a Bulldog either since they are so wrinkly and tough and like others have said I have watched dogs run though them when they are determined to get out.
    Well good luck with your fight for the higher fence. I could never hope to win that battle here...no fences AT ALL!! Ugggg. A friend told me that with the electric fence you can set it to noise only...but perhaps that wouldn't keep Joey from the street, which is my greatest concern, her safety. Well thank you and I hope you win your fight!! My search continues......

5. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sisters3 View Post
    Well good luck with your fight for the higher fence. I could never hope to win that battle here...no fences AT ALL!! Ugggg. A friend told me that with the electric fence you can set it to noise only...but perhaps that wouldn't keep Joey from the street, which is my greatest concern, her safety. Well thank you and I hope you win your fight!! My search continues......
    My thing is i like taking Chunky for walks and for some reason if going the underground fence route I would do the whole yard and not just the backyard which is what I use if I put an above ground one up. I might look into them more and just do the back with underground if I keep losing my attempt at the wrought iron fence

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

No offense(off fence) to all of you who have an HOA, but I can't even imagine why anyone would buy a home,and have to follow someone else's rules. My sister lives where they were only allowed to put up certain type fence,and no carports(she has been there for years) and when I found that out, I was shocked. I guess I was naive,as I couldn't believe that you have your OWN home and have to follow someone else's rules. As far as junk cars,I could understand. And @ddnene I agree with your take on people! What are member of EBN? They certainly can't be PEOPLE!! They are too
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

8. Likes Chunky White, ddnene liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

My thing is i like taking Chunky for walks and for some reason if going the underground fence route I would do the whole yard and not just the backyard which is what I use if I put an above ground one up. I might look into them more and just do the back with underground if I keep losing my attempt at the wrought iron fence
    I had thought the same thing, most of my outdoor projects are out back anyway and that's where I would like Joey to be able to hang...untethered WITH ME of course. I did just see on one system NO SHOCK (which is a requirement for me), sound only and has great success !

Real Name
    Wes
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chunky White
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    No offense(off fence) to all of you who have an HOA, but I can't even imagine why anyone would buy a home,and have to follow someone else's rules. My sister lives where they were only allowed to put up certain type fence,and no carports(she has been there for years) and when I found that out, I was shocked. I guess I was naive,as I couldn't believe that you have your OWN home and have to follow someone else's rules. As far as junk cars,I could understand. And @ddnene I agree with your take on people! What are member of EBN? They certainly can't be PEOPLE!! They are too
    I don't mind living in a neighborhood with an HOA because some of the rules will benefit me by not allowing others to build home or do stuff that will lower the resale value of my home. I just don't like the one rule my HOA has about fences because its not even a standard height and at 36" isn't going to stop any animal or person from getting in or out. I could put in a pool and install an 8' fence though. And at that point I wouldn't have a backyard to let Chunky run in.

I dont fit the mold in this neighborhood though since I am not a Dr, lawyer, or some business executive. I have worked hard for years to be able to afford living here. I also like fast cars and big trucks versus the neighborhood norm of small suv's and honda and toyota cars. I am the neighborhood redneck. LOL

11. Likes sisters3, ddnene liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Our HOA is a "moving target" as to rules....home owners/majority rules, so we vote on changes. The fence vote lost, so....no fences. Oh well.....onward and upward

13. Likes ddnene, Texas Carol liked this post
    EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

I don't mind living in a neighborhood with an HOA because some of the rules will benefit me by not allowing others to build home or do stuff that will lower the resale value of my home. I just don't like the one rule my HOA has about fences because its not even a standard height and at 36" isn't going to stop any animal or person from getting in or out. I could put in a pool and install an 8' fence though. And at that point I wouldn't have a backyard to let Chunky run in.

I dont fit the mold in this neighborhood though since I am not a Dr, lawyer, or some business executive. I have worked hard for years to be able to afford living here. I also like fast cars and big trucks versus the neighborhood norm of small suv's and honda and toyota cars. I am the neighborhood redneck. LOL
    You sound like us… my hubby is retired military and now is a private contractor. We don't fit the mold of our neighborhood either, but there are a few retired military spec op guys here too.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

15. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

"I could put in a pool and install an 8' fence though." @Chunky White Do they tell you what size the pool has to be? If not, get Chunky a kiddie pool, and put up your 8 foot fence!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

17. Likes sisters3 liked this post
    Real Name
    Sue
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    My Girl Joey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ddnene View Post
    You sound like us… my hubby is retired military and now is a private contractor. We don't fit the mold of our neighborhood either, but there are a few retired military spec op guys here too.
    Prior active duty Air Force here......was military brat, lived all over in many neighborhoods....If its one thing growing up military and being active duty.....you learn to adapt and EVERYWHERE is home

19. Likes ddnene liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads