Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Hope everyone in the EBN community is having a great start to 2016!!!.... Just needed some advice and insight on what's been going on with our boy Bogey the past few days.

Bogey is an intact male who's almost one years old. We've had Bogey for about three months. Last week he peed on the couch (not marking but a full bladder dump) for the second time. As a result we decided that the couch is off limits until further notice. He's tried to jump back on a few times but was forced off/jumps off immediately. Since the banning of the couch Bogey has been a lot harder to walk. Not wanting to go further after peeing and pooping. He just doesn't budge unless we change direction back towards the condo or coax him with treats. I understand the weather may be an issue here in Toronto but he walked in colder weather before without any problems. Is there such thing as 'winter blahs' for dogs?... Barking was also an issue for a few days proceeding the banning of the couch but that seemed to stop the last two nights. Water intake is normal but his eating has decreased to maybe half a cup to a cup of food from his regular two cups. Bogey has always been an inconsistent eater, not always eating the full two cups. Last night, Bogey for the first time since we've had him peed in his crate. Is this all something we should be worried about or is it just his way of telling us he's upset hes not allowed on the couch? With the refusal to walk, bed time barking and last nights peeing I'm a little concerned that something else may be up. Thanks for your time!!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Do you feed him 2 cups of food 2X a day? This may be too much. I feed 1 cup 2x a day. Sometimes a smidge more if they look really pathetic and convince me they are starving! lol, anyway, I would make a vet appt to check for a UTI or bladder infection. If he is peeing out of the blue it may be a possibility.

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Do you feed him 2 cups of food 2X a day? This may be too much. I feed 1 cup 2x a day. Sometimes a smidge more if they look really pathetic and convince me they are starving! lol, anyway, I would make a vet appt to check for a UTI or bladder infection. If he is peeing out of the blue it may be a possibility.

Thanks for the reply Brutus!... Nope.. two cups once a day is all Bogey gets. Bogey is only pathetic looking when there are treats involved lol!! Maybe a vet check is in order..

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
I agree with Rosalie, may be a UTI issue... Poor guy... keep us posted.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
I think,as stated, a check for uti,or bladder infection. At least you will know the answer. If there is no infection, he may be trying to be "in charge" and wanting to show dominance and being upset about the change. Then you can take charge as long as you know he is not ill.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Well you never walk a bulldog as far as you can carry them was posted by another member. Maybe the weather is an issue for Bogey. Maybe Bogey needs to go out more frequently. Jewel always wants to go out which at time we oblige...but I think it is because she has cabin fever. Bullies need stimulus so I took Jewel and Bentley shopping at Petsmart walking them around the store meeting a greeting a lot of people and other four legged buddies. They slept the ret of the afternoon and we ten fell into our evening routine.

Maybe there is more going on as mentioned above. Maybe a trip to he vet is warranted. Let us know.

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Thanks for the replies bulldog nation!! Bogey got back from the vet this morning and its NOT a UTI! WooHoo!:no: After getting some pee samples the vet determined that it was a hormonal thing going on in his system released by his prostate. Got him some AM/PM pills which should solve the problem. As for the peeing indoors.... that would be his teenage hormones kicking in. Is the humping around the corner??.. Lol.. In addition to the hormones, like Lynn said, he's pushing his boundaries to see if he can take charge. Good luck with that Bogey.. I feel better knowing that this is natural for an intact male who's just growing up. Lil bugger had us all worried. All I gotta do now is to read up on bulldog adolescence...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for the replies bulldog nation!! Bogey got back from the vet this morning and its NOT a UTI! WooHoo!:no: After getting some pee samples the vet determined that it was a hormonal thing going on in his system released by his prostate. Got him some AM/PM pills which should solve the problem. As for the peeing indoors.... that would be his teenage hormones kicking in. Is the humping around the corner??.. Lol.. In addition to the hormones, like Lynn said, he's pushing his boundaries to see if he can take charge. Good luck with that Bogey.. I feel better knowing that this is natural for an intact male who's just growing up. Lil bugger had us all worried. All I gotta do now is to read up on bulldog adolescence...

Adolescent Bully will push all the limits... Stay consistent with all training- all humans must enforce the rules to ensure he stays in line

helsonwheels

Jan 10, 2016
Alberta
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Nyala, Jake (R.I.P. Duke)
Great to hear no infection! Time to take charge lol...

Funny... might be only me but ive never allowed any of my dogs sleep on any sofas or beds. Ive always had big dogs and no way im going to sit on the floor and dog on the sofa... pfffft Nyala is small and she has a nice big bed on tbe floor and a big kennel for nights. I know I sound like boot camp. But...you give a dog an inch they will take a foot. :yes:

OP
B

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Great to hear no infection! Time to take charge lol...

Funny... might be only me but ive never allowed any of my dogs sleep on any sofas or beds. Ive always had big dogs and no way im going to sit on the floor and dog on the sofa... pfffft Nyala is small and she has a nice big bed on tbe floor and a big kennel for nights. I know I sound like boot camp. But...you give a dog an inch they will take a foot. :yes:

HA!.. When Bogey was allowed on the couch he thought he was a lap dog too... But no couch for you Bogey!.. Still marking on blankets so only a matter of time until he marks the couch again.

Bogey however did gain more freedom at night and while we are at work. Since his adolescence kicked in Bogey has been restless at night barking and crying. We only let him out after he started chewing on his metal crate (he wasn't barking or crying so we didn't reward him by letting him out right?:unsure:)... He settled nicely the last two nights sleeping on the floor by the foot of our bed. Walking is still an issue. He doesn't want to go further after he pees or poops... I used to get frustrated (and I fear that he may sense this) so I just walk back in. He doesn't seem to miss the longer walks even when the weather is nice.

Bogey is on AventiClav as a result of his prostate issue. No problems until day three on the meds. Bogey puked for the first time (a lot of firsts for Bogey this week).. I felt so bad and wanted him to be better but I guess this is part of growing up with new hormones and all. Either way, he is loved to the max and his quirky behaviour makes us laugh and smile.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
How old is Bogey? Did the vet recommend neutering him? My babies think they are lap dogs as well and enjoy laying on us while we watch tv. Bulldogs love to be a part of the family.

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
It sounds like male bulldogs tends to be more dominant than female bulldogs... is that correct to say?? Izzy is pushy and stubborn but I can put her in her place after I give her the command for the 4th time! LMAO.... because I am the pack leader! (I just need to keep repeating that to myself so I can believe it!)

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I might be off base , but Bulldogs are stubborn and to different degrees and even Male versus female maybe also , is Bogey a dominate male ?, could be and to be honest versus a medical issue he is projecting his dominance in this situation of marking that couch full blatter release or not he is very aware that is a NO NO right . I find also Bullies can and will pout after not being aloud or corrected for behaviour issues , Tilly used to sit and stair strait forward into a corner back to Me , Rosie also is starting to show her stubborn parts as she is now a teenager . i will also as he is not fixed that could be part of what your seeing question is how old is He ? I hope it is not a health issue , Weather naw I live at the east side of Algonquin park, you have been balmy compared might be unpleasant but there more durable then that and with a coat on no problem. love to know what you find out tho learning is good lol .

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
It sounds like male bulldogs tends to be more dominant than female bulldogs... is that correct to say?? Izzy is pushy and stubborn but I can put her in her place after I give her the command for the 4th time! LMAO.... because I am the pack leader! (I just need to keep repeating that to myself so I can believe it!)

In My view your right it is why i have always wanted females in any breed , to me easier to train and bond with to a point , Odin is a exception to that rule he is a dominate male Cane Corso but not with Me right from the start NO challenges at all .

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.