Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Ok so I did some searching... Lots of good posts.
I have tried several different foods and nothing worked. SO I decided to start cooking for her, she gets meat and veggies for her meal and loves it. She looks great, her poop is good and it seemed to be helping with her tear stains.. But within the last two weeks they are bad again. I give her filtered water. Coconut oil everyday. I tried the yogurt thing everyday, that didnt seem to help either. What more can I do? Do you guys still like the Angel eyes product? Is that really any good?

I saw that [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] mentioned Nuvet?

And the vet has never mentioned her having an issues with her eyes.

Im just tired of her having goopy brown stuff coming out of her eyes... If it gets on anything light it looks like blood. (Ive had a few scares until I realized what it was)

Oh and she is almost 3 now.
(Sorry if I was rambling, just trying to list everything I have tried)

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
It is frustrating but through three bulldogs with white faces, my opinion is that when you find the right food, IT WORKS. No more tear stains. Other than that, there's nothing that will really stop them, just methods to temporarily clear them up. You said you tried some different foods? How long did you try each? Also, did you try a grain free diet? Gluten free? Any exotic proteins? I ask because I had an issue with sweet potatoes and potatoes giving my bully Linus yeast so we switched to a grain and gluten free food...and no more tear stains.

I know it's annoying...good luck!

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
It is frustrating but through three bulldogs with white faces, my opinion is that when you find the right food, IT WORKS. No more tear stains. Other than that, there's nothing that will really stop them, just methods to temporarily clear them up. You said you tried some different foods? How long did you try each? Also, did you try a grain free diet? Gluten free? Any exotic proteins? I ask because I had an issue with sweet potatoes and potatoes giving my bully Linus yeast so we switched to a grain and gluten free food...and no more tear stains.

Always grain free. We tried each new one at least 2 months.. Most of the flavors of Fromm, And a few flavors of Earthborn. Now she gets either, ground turkey, ground beed or tuna with some mixed vegetables....

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Always grain free. We tried each new one at least 2 months.. Most of the flavors of Fromm, And a few flavors of Earthborn. Now she gets either, ground turkey, ground beed or tuna with some mixed vegetables....

Just a thought...I had mine on a several grain free options and they had really awful tear stains. I think we reached rock bottom on TOTW, which works great for some people. Then we went to Nature's Variety Instinct, which was grain and gluten free and the stains disappeared. It sounds like you're not feeding your bully any potatoes so I wonder if it's a protein allergy? I just moved to California Naturals Kangaroo and Red Lentil for our bulldog Truman because his allergies were awful...he did much better on it because of the "exotic" protein.

I know this is all anecdotal...I'm just brainstorming since I know it's really frustrating to have such a cute face with such unsightly stains. Plus it can't be comfortable for your bully either!

OP
Sheena

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Just a thought...I had mine on a several grain free options and they had really awful tear stains. I think we reached rock bottom on TOTW, which works great for some people. Then we went to Nature's Variety Instinct, which was grain and gluten free and the stains disappeared. It sounds like you're not feeding your bully any potatoes so I wonder if it's a protein allergy? I just moved to California Naturals Kangaroo and Red Lentil for our bulldog Truman because his allergies were awful...he did much better on it because of the "exotic" protein.

I know this is all anecdotal...I'm just brainstorming since I know it's really frustrating to have such a cute face with such unsightly stains. Plus it can't be comfortable for your bully either!

Hmmm could be. But that would be the only side effect to the protein. But Its worth a shot.
She doesnt seem to be affected by them, just hates when I try to clean them lol

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Also, to answer your question, I've been there too...Angel Eyes is junk. A complete waste of money.

My best efforts to minimize were cleaning with a yeast inhibiting solution given to us by our vet, coating with Desitin (skin protectant), then dusting with powder to help absorb moisture. It helped temporarily and the Desitin and powder give the appearance of white.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

so totally agree -- Banks did great with Fromm Pork/Peas her fur was so soft and white, but it kicking Lambeau's butt -- I switched him to the new flavor and some benefit but not much... went to beef this week and he is now chewing paws So, that is out.... Game bird is next to try

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
1/8 teaspoon of Tylan powder 2 times daily with food and tear stains gone in 2-3 weeks

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Hmm never heard of Tylan powder before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Brett's got worst when I had him on Fromm Lamb and Lentils so I switched to another flavor. Been cleaning it and putting and Desitin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
1/2 teaspoon of Tylan powder 2 times daily with food and tear stains gone in 2 weeks

!! for how long does it last?????? I really dont want to give my boy antibiotics for an extended period of time

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
!! for how long does it last?????? I really dont want to give my boy antibiotics for an extended period of time

Because it's an antibiotic, as soon as you stop using it, the muck will be back! I remember one of the happy side effects of an antibiotic for an ear infection or something was always no tear stains but they are soon to return once the bacteria start growing again and get the upper hand.

Bogey416

Nov 18, 2015
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bogey and Juice
Our boy Bogey has a blocked tear duct which causes tear stains. We ended up using Naturally Tearfree Canine. It's all natural and worked wonders. Week one you use one dose of half a teaspoon for three consecutive days. Week two for two consecutive days. Week three for one day. That's one cycle. We did two cycles for Bogey and he looks amazing!... We mixed the dosage with some natural peanut butter. Hope this helps!

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Most tear staining that I am familiar with comes from food dyes or seasonal allergies...or both. The Tylan works well and may last for weeks or months. It is good as a treatment until you can determine the cause. If the cause cannot be determined then you may have to pulse it every so often once it's under control. Every dog is different and will require different treatments...so a measure of trial and error should be expected.
Our youngest, Lala, started showing stains at 6 months. We were pretty sure it wasn't the NOW food so we assumed it was seasonal allergy. Treatment with tylon cleared it up in 10 days (the staining never got bad). That was 7 months ago. I'm hoping it doesn't return next spring but if it does I'll know what to do.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
With Orion...we put her on grain free Fromm, a course of antiobiotics and greek yogurt.

It worked. It was a slow process but it worked.

On both bulldogs. Vegas is not on grain free...but had the yeast/bacteria stain on his chin. Not anymore. Here are pictures.

Orion Before:
IMG_6055.jpgchoices1.jpgIMG_2645.JPG

After:
IMG_7161.jpgIMG_7460 1.jpgIMG_7486.jpg

Vegas Before:
IMG_2579 1.jpgIMG_0186.JPGIMG_3566 1.jpgIMG_9947 email 1.jpg

After: Taken moments ago
IMG_8896.JPG

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online