Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 18

Thread: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

  1. #1
    Potty Trainer Harriett's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Location
    Belfast Ireland
    Posts
    63
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Diasy is teething badly and I have got her lots of chew toys to help her with this but my problem is that she is super strong and has at times got hold of my feet or hands and it really really hurts but most times a firm NO from me and she lets go my problem is I am so nervous of her being around the youngest kids ( they are 6 and 7) incase she gets a grip and won't let go quick enough, I have been teaching them to offer a toy when she is bitey but actually I think she would prefer their hands and we have had some close calls, I just don't want them to be frightened of her as I know the teething doesn't last forever. I seen some posts were people would use a water spray I think this would prob be the best solution for us any other advice would be great. The good thing is we are off to puppy classes tonight but I love to hear advice from other owners.

  2. Likes dolphin liked this post
  3. #2
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    11,226
    Bulldog(s) Names
    7
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2232

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    Diasy is teething badly and I have got her lots of chew toys to help her with this but my problem is that she is super strong and has at times got hold of my feet or hands and it really really hurts but most times a firm NO from me and she lets go my problem is I am so nervous of her being around the youngest kids ( they are 6 and 7) incase she gets a grip and won't let go quick enough, I have been teaching them to offer a toy when she is bitey but actually I think she would prefer their hands and we have had some close calls, I just don't want them to be frightened of her as I know the teething doesn't last forever. I seen some posts were people would use a water spray I think this would prob be the best solution for us any other advice would be great. The good thing is we are off to puppy classes tonight but I love to hear advice from other owners.
    puppy classes will help immensely, we had a bulldog that did the same and after classes and constant teaching not to bite, stopped. Good luck at class please let us know how it turns out.

  4. Likes 2BullyMama, Harriett liked this post
  5. #3
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11533

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Yes, the water spray bottle worked well for us with out girl.... Lambeau our boy now, is afraid of the bottle so the 'firm NO' and toy redirect worked great with him
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  6. Likes Harriett liked this post
  7. #4
    Potty Trainer Harriett's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Location
    Belfast Ireland
    Posts
    63
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Thank you that is really reassuring and I will let you no who it goes tonight I am really excited ��

  8. Likes dolphin liked this post
  9. #5
    Dog Groomer KimDe's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    558
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)
    578

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    The best thing that worked for biting hard was screaming like it hurt (like Owwww). Once he understood that he was hurting me he would bite softer and I would give a firm no and redirect with a toy.

    Another thing that works is walking away. Mine was gated in the kitchen so I would walk away and leave him for 5 minutes and then come back to play. He still bites but it is soft and he is easily redirected.

    I would also put the bitter apple spray on my socks because he would attack them while on my feet. Hot sauce worked better on walls.

  10. Likes Evilo liked this post
  11. #6
    Pet Sitter Evilo's Avatar
    Real Name
    Olive
    Country
    Ireland
    Location
    Leitrim, Ireland
    Posts
    338
    Bulldog(s) Names
    George Bentley
    Likes (Received)
    371

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    The best thing that worked for biting hard was screaming like it hurt (like Owwww). Once he understood that he was hurting me he would bite softer and I would give a firm no and redirect with a toy.

    Another thing that works is walking away. Mine was gated in the kitchen so I would walk away and leave him for 5 minutes and then come back to play. He still bites but it is soft and he is easily redirected.

    I would also put the bitter apple spray on my socks because he would attack them while on my feet. Hot sauce worked better on walls.
    I thought it was just us that had the feet problem I don't think I will ever be able to walk around without shoes he sees toes and literally full on attacks. It's frightening sometimes but I very rarely am without shoes in the house now I am going to try the bitter Apple spray but I really can't see George not liking it he loves everything.

  12. #7
    Dog Groomer KimDe's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    558
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)
    578

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
    I thought it was just us that had the feet problem I don't think I will ever be able to walk around without shoes he sees toes and literally full on attacks. It's frightening sometimes but I very rarely am without shoes in the house now I am going to try the bitter Apple spray but I really can't see George not liking it he loves everything.
    Mine didn't like it from the start as a puppy. But you have to have a couple of squirts on the socks.

    I find strong smells deter him (as I said hot sauce worked on the walls that he chewed on). He is 9 months now and rarely goes after my feet anymore and its usually because he was cuddling and lost his chew toy and starts mouthing things.

    A good command to start practicing is leave it. I will put a treat on the floor (cover up as needed when they lunge for it) and say leave it. When he doesn't eat it he gets a treat. Eventually you start giving him treats when he makes eye contact and doesn't eat the treat on the floor. It works great for when he is wondering around the house with me to stop him getting into things. He will sniff everything and put everything in his mouth.

    Don't worry the phase will pass. As a side note, I don't play tug of war with mine because he aggressively tries to get you to play with toys. He won't bite but he will growl and this could be off-putting to children. I won't throw him the ball until he is calm and sitting and then when he comes back and shakes his head and growls I ignore him until he sits next to me. At that point he gets pets and praise and after a bit I say drop it and take the ball from his mouth and start over. You can also apply this concept to petting so that they only get pet when they are sitting.

  13. Likes Evilo liked this post
  14. #8
    Potty Trainer Harriett's Avatar
    Country
    Ireland
    Location
    Belfast Ireland
    Posts
    63
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Daisy
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by KimDe View Post
    Mine didn't like it from the start as a puppy. But you have to have a couple of squirts on the socks.

    I find strong smells deter him (as I said hot sauce worked on the walls that he chewed on). He is 9 months now and rarely goes after my feet anymore and its usually because he was cuddling and lost his chew toy and starts mouthing things.

    A good command to start practicing is leave it. I will put a treat on the floor (cover up as needed when they lunge for it) and say leave it. When he doesn't eat it he gets a treat. Eventually you start giving him treats when he makes eye contact and doesn't eat the treat on the floor. It works great for when he is wondering around the house with me to stop him getting into things. He will sniff everything and put everything in his mouth.

    Don't worry the phase will pass. As a side note, I don't play tug of war with mine because he aggressively tries to get you to play with toys. He won't bite but he will growl and this could be off-putting to children. I won't throw him the ball until he is calm and sitting and then when he comes back and shakes his head and growls I ignore him until he sits next to me. At that point he gets pets and praise and after a bit I say drop it and take the ball from his mouth and start over. You can also apply this concept to petting so that they only get pet when they are sitting.
    I constantly play tug of war with her to distract her from my hands, I won't do it see how it goes

  15. #9
    Dog Groomer KimDe's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kim
    Country
    USA
    Posts
    558
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fezzik
    Likes (Received)
    578

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harriett View Post
    I constantly play tug of war with her to distract her from my hands, I won't do it see how it goes
    Tug of war is not bad in itself. Mine was just way too aggressive (not biting but growling) but it was behavior I didn't want to encourage. He has gotten better about it and now sits next to me with his ball without me having to tell him. I may consider playing tug of war with him now.

    But the bitter apple spray on the feet, screaming Owww really loudly, and walking away helped the most. Associating with other dogs will help too because they won't play with a puppy who is biting too much.

  16. #10
    Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1,145
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)
    1757

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    We never really had / have an issue with Penny using us for chew toys - Lockjaw on the other hand, he's a whole other story. The firm "NO" didn't work with him, we just went to grab his snout and tucked his lips under his own teeth, that was the best way to get him to open his grip - but still said "NO BITE". He's much better about it now, it just took a while to get him out of the habit.
    "Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

    Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny


  17. #11
    Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Barrys Bay Ont Canada
    Posts
    2,330
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)
    3189

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    I have been blessed and not had any issues like you great advise given here , love the water bottle idea .
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

    ...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

  18. #12
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    rjisaterp's Avatar
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Posts
    5,152
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    3882

    Default Re: Best way to extract a bully form your body parts.

    Let out a loud yelp when Daisy bites. Then say no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •