Neuter or dont

vetstorm91

Dec 19, 2015
Humble, TX suburb of Houston
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastian
My pup is 4 months old and went to vet recently. She discuss neutering pup when he turns 6 months old. I am not interested in breeding. I just want him as of part of family. My kids are grown and I have grandkids that come by at times. I just want him to be calm and lovable to them, other people, and dogs. SO my question is should I neuter or not? Thanks for any respond..

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
I'm in the same position. We are neutering him. Lockjaw will be about 11 months when we have it done in April. Just better to be safe than sorry in my opinion. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
I guess it is really a personal decision and everyone thinks about it differently, we had our boy done. my husband didnt want to, but I did, Some people think it settles them, some not. We had Bazza done at 18mths. His personality did not change in anyway, he did however stop humping my two young sons, he stopped be as dominate, I do think it settled him alittle. Good luck with your decision !

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have been grappling w/this decision for months. We now have a female puppy, so Walter will be neutered soon. He will be 2 years the end of this month…

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
All My guys Odin ( Cane Corso ), Dakota ( husky / lab mix) both males , Willow (Siberian husky ) and Rosie ( Bully ) are "fixed", Rosie was yesterday . For the exact reasons you give Vetstorm91

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
I haven't decided yet. Mine is 9 months old and shows no signs of aggression or humping. He does get excited if you know what I mean from time to time but I think that happens in any male dog.

I am concerned about putting my bully under as little as possible. He still has accidents in the house but I think that is more my fault for being lax on the schedule than it is him marking. If I were to neuter it would be after a year.

So far I am leaning towards no. If I had a female dog the answer would probably be yes just due to being in heat, but with a male dog you can control the situations. He is also an indoor dog and not an outdoor dog. And I don't trust other dogs to go to the dog park (I feel the neutered ones are more prone to attack and intact male). The health reports are also conflicting on this. While neutering lowers some cancer risks it raises the risks for other cancers.

The only major con I have found is that there isn't a doggy daycare in the area that will take an intact male. If I have to put him in kennel for any reason, he has to stay in a separate room and you pay more.

I don't have kids so it has been very easy to correct any humping and he has only done it a couple of times and was stopped quickly.

So the decision is ultimately yours, but I have given you my reasons for leaning towards no.

oscarmayer

Have Bulldog Will Travel
Staff member
Jan 20, 2016
VA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Lala, Chesty, Winky, Waggles, Moose, and rescue Peggy(soon to be placed)
Neuter, neuter, neuter. IMO, you will diminish the predisposition to hump, mark, and exhibit dominance in the future.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is a personal decision, but my vet will not do the procedure prior to the age of 8 mths.... and when we had the talk for Lambeau, my b/f was all about NOT doing it... our vet looked at him and laughed (he is a man) -- 'all men have an issue with this... it is best to do it if you are not going to use him for breeding'

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
my personal opinion is to wait until at least 16 - 18 months old they are still developing we did Chance at 14 months due to being overly aggressive and assertive helped considerably. Good luck with what ever you decide but definitely get them fixed to prevent cancer in the future

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Harvey was neutered when he turned 1. He stopped the humping of his toys. He was also bleeding on his penis and the vet said it probably to him rubbing his private on something rough. The vet suggested that if the bleeding continues, there is a risk that it could progress into a prolapse urethra which is costly so he suggested the neutering route to keep him calm. He was right Harvey stopped the bleeding and the humping activity.

So my vote is yes for neutering.

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I opted not to for the same reasons KimDe mentioned…I was not confident putting him under if it wasn't absolutely necessary and was told not to have him fixed until at least 18 months (by breeders) for full growth potential reasons. I read about the health benefits and behavior issues and contemplated the surgery when 18 months came, but still wasn't 100% that it was the best decision.
I am not against it, but so far, Bass not being fixed has worked out for our situation. If he needs any kind of surgery in the next few months/years, I will re-consider, but putting him under just for that reason was not enough for me to go through w/it.
Agreed that it is a decision based on your own situation/circumstances.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.