Are banana peels bad for dogs?...

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Title says it all...
Daughter left half of a banana, with peel, in the living room. Like magic, we walked in and it was gone!
All that was left was Winslow, licking his lips and looking guilty.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Title says it all...
Daughter left half of a banana, with peel, in the living room. Like magic, we walked in and it was gone!
All that was left was Winslow, licking his lips and looking guilty.

They aren't toxic so he should be fine, however.... his belly may hurt due to it being a little harder to digest. But since it was only half, maybe it won't be so bad. I'd just keep an eye out on the exit, and see if he passes it.... Is Winslow a chewer? I think if he chewed it up, it would be easier to digest.... Tyson does not chew - he inhales. Ugh.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
They aren't toxic so he should be fine, however.... his belly may hurt due to it being a little harder to digest. But since it was only half, maybe it won't be so bad. I'd just keep an eye out on the exit, and see if he passes it.... Is Winslow a chewer? I think if he chewed it up, it would be easier to digest.... Tyson does not chew - he inhales. Ugh.

Phew! Thanks. It was the whole peel, just half of the fruit. Wish it was the other way around!
I was afraid to consult with google, but didn't think they should be toxic.
He's not really a chewer either :/ so we'll see how this story goes...

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Phew! Thanks. It was the whole peel, just half of the fruit. Wish it was the other way around!
I was afraid to consult with google, but didn't think they should be toxic.
He's not really a chewer either :/ so we'll see how this story goes...

I hope he chewed it up a bit.... I'd just keep an eye out for his poops, since the peel is thick, the only thing I'd worry about is obstruction, if his body can't digest it.... Maybe add a little pumpkin into his food the next few days to help. These suckers are fast....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Jessica has you covered... I agree give some pumpkin to hopefully help it move through.

But, I gotta say.... he can't be guilty.... the cat gave it to him :D

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
:rofl:
No he certainly can't be blamed!

I gave him a spoonful of pumpkin and will do so a few more times throughout the day. We shall see!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've been given great advice already, and I agree that the banana peel isn't toxic so won't harm him that way, but it may cause him to be constipated or have trouble passing it, so you want to watch for signs of obstruction, like vomiting, diarrhea, drooling from the mouth, or lethargic behaviour. My male Bulldozer loves to swallow socks, and has done so on 4 different occasions. We have been very lucky that he was able to pass them by either throwing them up, or pooping them out. Only once did he show signs of an obstruction, and we took him to the vet. She gave him a strong laxative, IV fluids, pain medication, and sent him home with a high fiber dog food to help move his bowels. He was able to pass it that same evening. The pumpkin will help to move his bowels as well, and hopefully he is able to pass it. He may have trouble passing it when he does go, and he will show signs of straining, and you may have to help him by gently pulling it out.
Pone time Dozer ate a dish cloth, and I saw the piece of blue sticking out, I didn't know what it was, and I put a poop bag on my hand and helped him by pulling it out, and he passed the cloth. These guys are so quick, and they are like Bully goats, or garbage compactors. They will eat almost anything. Lol. I hope he is okay, and he is able to pass it without any problems. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] Thanks so much for sharing! Very helpful.

So far he is most definitely not constipated. Good news haha. And I THINK I saw little banana peel chunks in his poo this morning. Not totally sure, but upon inspection that was my guess. Whether he chewed it up or his stomach broke it down, I have no idea, but hopefully he's passing it with no problem. I'll keep watching him (and his poops) for a few days and watch out for the symptoms you described.

I'll call myself lucky in that this is a pretty rare occurrence for us. Only a few scares so far! :whew:

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION] Thanks so much for sharing! Very helpful.

So far he is most definitely not constipated. Good news haha. And I THINK I saw little banana peel chunks in his poo this morning. Not totally sure, but upon inspection that was my guess. Whether he chewed it up or his stomach broke it down, I have no idea, but hopefully he's passing it with no problem. I'll keep watching him (and his poops) for a few days and watch out for the symptoms you described.

I'll call myself lucky in that this is a pretty rare occurrence for us. Only a few scares so far! :whew:

When mine eats something he shouldn't I feed him pumpkin and rice. I don't know if that is a good idea but it seems to help.

I also make ice cubes from water and chicken broth to make sure he has fluids. He loves his ice cubes so it is a great way for him to get nutrients and fluids. I also feed him coconut oil to lubricate the digestive tract.

Honestly, I don't know if it helps but I don't think it can be bad for him.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I think his natural stomach acids will do a number on the peel and he should pass it. I do love a good poop thread!! lol, the things we talk about!! :poo::mansfriend:

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I think his natural stomach acids will do a number on the peel and he should pass it. I do love a good poop thread!! lol, the things we talk about!! [emoji14]oo::mansfriend:
I'm more used to talking about goldfish poop on forums, but this is good too! [emoji14]

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Ah jeeze!
Winslow threw me a curve ball last night. He threw up twice :eek: Instead of banana peels, i found the pom pom that he ripped of my daughter's hat! :hissyfit:
At least it wasn't a mouse, which for some reason i thought it was before i shined the flashlight on it. :rofl:

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] you're not kidding! Haha

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Ah jeeze!
Winslow threw me a curve ball last night. He threw up twice :eek: Instead of banana peels, i found the pom pom that he ripped of my daughter's hat! :hissyfit:
At least it wasn't a mouse, which for some reason i thought it was before i shined the flashlight on it. :rofl:

Awww. poor guy. I'd do bland for a few days along with some Pepcid. His belly is probably upset from the acids :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.