Real Name
    Olive
    Country
    Ireland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    George Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Default What can I expect?

We ar having George neutered on the 19th of Feb and I'm just wondering what to expect in the days following the procedure. How soon can you walk them? Roughly how long till they recover fully for the anaesthetic?
    I'm also a little worried that George might be overweight (going on average bulldog weights) but he seems ok looking to me I can feel his ribs under his skin (not see them) he weighs 26kg at just coming up on 8 months.

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: What can I expect?

to EBN!!! I do not have experience w/neutering, Wally will be having this soon… I will tag some members for you to give you insight on the procedure.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

3. Likes Evilo liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Hello @Evilo! Murray had his done about a month and a half ago and had no complications, the biggest challenge for us was dealing with the dreaded cone (he also had cherry eye surgery at the same time) and also trying to keep him from playing and jumping during those first two weeks. Lots and lots of things to chew on but that was kind of a challenge too with the cone but I had a couple of longer antlers that helped. I was told Murray was a couple of pounds overweight too but that didn't delay the surgery and I've since cut back on his food. As far as what it looks like after you pretty much can see the stitches immediately after but they dissolve and it looks like a bit of a wilted or shriveled small sack, enough to know that something was once there but small, in my opinion. Good luck with George, I'm sure he'll do just fine with it!

5. Likes Evilo liked this post
    Real Name
    Olive
    Country
    Ireland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    George Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CCandMurray View Post
    Hello @Evilo! Murray had his done about a month and a half ago and had no complications, the biggest challenge for us was dealing with the dreaded cone (he also had cherry eye surgery at the same time) and also trying to keep him from playing and jumping during those first two weeks. Lots and lots of things to chew on but that was kind of a challenge too with the cone but I had a couple of longer antlers that helped. I was told Murray was a couple of pounds overweight too but that didn't delay the surgery and I've since cut back on his food. As far as what it looks like after you pretty much can see the stitches immediately after but they dissolve and it looks like a bit of a wilted or shriveled small sack, enough to know that something was once there but small, in my opinion. Good luck with George, I'm sure he'll do just fine with it!
    Thanks for that. I have been told by the vet that we won't have a cone (possibly cause they can't lick there) but maybe with the eye surgery it was needed in case of the eye being scratched or hitting off something. Thankfully we don't have that problem to contend with. It's good to hear they get over it relatively quickly.

7. Likes CCandMurray liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Evilo View Post
    We ar having George neutered on the 19th of Feb and I'm just wondering what to expect in the days following the procedure. How soon can you walk them? Roughly how long till they recover fully for the anaesthetic?
    I'm also a little worried that George might be overweight (going on average bulldog weights) but he seems ok looking to me I can feel his ribs under his skin (not see them) he weighs 26kg at just coming up on 8 months.

I would say the first couple of days he'll just need to rest. No jumping, running, etc. Potty breaks should be leashed, and just slow walk maybe out back, nothing far, nor long. Just keep your eye on the incision area to ensure there is no leaking, or signs of infection. He'll be kinda doopy the first couple of days as well due the pain meds, be sure to stay on top of them hours wise so he's not in too much pain. He may even act like nothing happened, just remember... keep him calm. His weight should have no bering on the surgery.

Is the vet doing the procedure bulldog experienced? Be sure they DO NOT use ACE, and also that someone is there to monitor him as he comes out of the anesthesia.

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

9. Likes CCandMurray, Evilo liked this post
    Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member CCandMurray's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carolyn
    Country
    U.S.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Murray
    Likes (Received)

Yay to no cone!!! Please let us know how it goes

11. Likes Evilo liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The hardest part was trying to make him rest. The best advice I can give is for someone to stay on the floor with him to keep him from jumping, it won't seem like he had anything done to him. I can't stress enough what Jessica said above, make sure you are going with an experienced bulldog vet. It makes ALL the difference.

13. Likes Evilo liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TyTysmom View Post
    I would say the first couple of days he'll just need to rest. No jumping, running, etc. Potty breaks should be leashed, and just slow walk maybe out back, nothing far, nor long. Just keep your eye on the incision area to ensure there is no leaking, or signs of infection. He'll be kinda doopy the first couple of days as well due the pain meds, be sure to stay on top of them hours wise so he's not in too much pain. He may even act like nothing happened, just remember... keep him calm. His weight should have no bering on the surgery.

Is the vet doing the procedure bulldog experienced? Be sure they DO NOT use ACE, and also that someone is there to monitor him as he comes out of the anesthesia.
    no ACE

Agreed... relax and rest for the first few days, as you and your vet have determined, a cone is not needed.. they can't reach the area
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

15. Likes TyTysmom, Evilo liked this post
    Real Name
    Olive
    Country
    Ireland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    George Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Jessica very helpful as always
    Leasing him for bathroom time will be difficult but I will do it I'm glad I have taken some time off work for this now as it could be a little tricky keeping an eye on him. Stupid as I am I didn't realise he would be on pain meds but thanks for letting me know that.
    The vet seems to have his best interests at heart as he refused to neuter him until he was 8 months and has also flagged the anesthetic risk I think we will be ok he seems quite fond of George.
    The weight issue is just a separate thing that I am just not sure about I'm sure it shouldn't be an issue with the surgery.

17. Likes TyTysmom, 2BullyMama liked this post
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Jessica very helpful as always
    Leasing him for bathroom time will be difficult but I will do it I'm glad I have taken some time off work for this now as it could be a little tricky keeping an eye on him. Stupid as I am I didn't realise he would be on pain meds but thanks for letting me know that.
    The vet seems to have his best interests at heart as he refused to neuter him until he was 8 months and has also flagged the anesthetic risk I think we will be ok he seems quite fond of George.
    The weight issue is just a separate thing that I am just not sure about I'm sure it shouldn't be an issue with the surgery.
    If you can take a picture from above of George standing -- we can tell ya if he is too heavy, but at 8 mths I really would not be too concerned ... he has LOTS of growing to do.. 1st year up and 2nd year out
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

19. Likes Evilo liked this post
    Real Name
    Olive
    Country
    Ireland
    Bulldog(s) Names
    George Bentley
    Likes (Received)

Oh what is ACE? If it's a medication we may not have it here in Ireland or it could be under another name.
    You are all so good and helpful thank you all so much.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jessica
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
    Likes (Received)

Oh what is ACE? If it's a medication we may not have it here in Ireland or it could be under another name.
    You are all so good and helpful thank you all so much.
    Acepromazine

My whole heart, Tyson.
    Whoever said diamonds are a girls best friend, obviously never owned a Bulldog.

22. Likes 2BullyMama, Evilo liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads