What can I expect?

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
We ar having George neutered on the 19th of Feb and I'm just wondering what to expect in the days following the procedure. How soon can you walk them? Roughly how long till they recover fully for the anaesthetic?
I'm also a little worried that George might be overweight (going on average bulldog weights) but he seems ok looking to me I can feel his ribs under his skin (not see them) he weighs 26kg at just coming up on 8 months.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I do not have experience w/neutering, Wally will be having this soon… I will tag some members for you to give you insight on the procedure.

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Hello [MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION]! Murray had his done about a month and a half ago and had no complications, the biggest challenge for us was dealing with the dreaded cone (he also had cherry eye surgery at the same time) and also trying to keep him from playing and jumping during those first two weeks. Lots and lots of things to chew on but that was kind of a challenge too with the cone but I had a couple of longer antlers that helped. I was told Murray was a couple of pounds overweight too but that didn't delay the surgery and I've since cut back on his food. As far as what it looks like after you pretty much can see the stitches immediately after but they dissolve and it looks like a bit of a wilted or shriveled small sack, enough to know that something was once there but small, in my opinion. Good luck with George, I'm sure he'll do just fine with it!

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Hello [MENTION=15045]Evilo[/MENTION]! Murray had his done about a month and a half ago and had no complications, the biggest challenge for us was dealing with the dreaded cone (he also had cherry eye surgery at the same time) and also trying to keep him from playing and jumping during those first two weeks. Lots and lots of things to chew on but that was kind of a challenge too with the cone but I had a couple of longer antlers that helped. I was told Murray was a couple of pounds overweight too but that didn't delay the surgery and I've since cut back on his food. As far as what it looks like after you pretty much can see the stitches immediately after but they dissolve and it looks like a bit of a wilted or shriveled small sack, enough to know that something was once there but small, in my opinion. Good luck with George, I'm sure he'll do just fine with it!
Thanks for that. I have been told by the vet that we won't have a cone (possibly cause they can't lick there) but maybe with the eye surgery it was needed in case of the eye being scratched or hitting off something. Thankfully we don't have that problem to contend with. It's good to hear they get over it relatively quickly.

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
We ar having George neutered on the 19th of Feb and I'm just wondering what to expect in the days following the procedure. How soon can you walk them? Roughly how long till they recover fully for the anaesthetic?
I'm also a little worried that George might be overweight (going on average bulldog weights) but he seems ok looking to me I can feel his ribs under his skin (not see them) he weighs 26kg at just coming up on 8 months.

I would say the first couple of days he'll just need to rest. No jumping, running, etc. Potty breaks should be leashed, and just slow walk maybe out back, nothing far, nor long. Just keep your eye on the incision area to ensure there is no leaking, or signs of infection. He'll be kinda doopy the first couple of days as well due the pain meds, be sure to stay on top of them hours wise so he's not in too much pain. He may even act like nothing happened, just remember... keep him calm. His weight should have no bering on the surgery.

Is the vet doing the procedure bulldog experienced? Be sure they DO NOT use ACE, and also that someone is there to monitor him as he comes out of the anesthesia.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The hardest part was trying to make him rest. The best advice I can give is for someone to stay on the floor with him to keep him from jumping, it won't seem like he had anything done to him. I can't stress enough what Jessica said above, make sure you are going with an experienced bulldog vet. It makes ALL the difference.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would say the first couple of days he'll just need to rest. No jumping, running, etc. Potty breaks should be leashed, and just slow walk maybe out back, nothing far, nor long. Just keep your eye on the incision area to ensure there is no leaking, or signs of infection. He'll be kinda doopy the first couple of days as well due the pain meds, be sure to stay on top of them hours wise so he's not in too much pain. He may even act like nothing happened, just remember... keep him calm. His weight should have no bering on the surgery.

Is the vet doing the procedure bulldog experienced? Be sure they DO NOT use ACE, and also that someone is there to monitor him as he comes out of the anesthesia.

:goodpost: no ACE

Agreed... relax and rest for the first few days, as you and your vet have determined, a cone is not needed.. they can't reach the area :D

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thanks Jessica very helpful as always :)
Leasing him for bathroom time will be difficult but I will do it I'm glad I have taken some time off work for this now as it could be a little tricky keeping an eye on him. Stupid as I am I didn't realise he would be on pain meds but thanks for letting me know that.
The vet seems to have his best interests at heart as he refused to neuter him until he was 8 months and has also flagged the anesthetic risk I think we will be ok he seems quite fond of George.
The weight issue is just a separate thing that I am just not sure about I'm sure it shouldn't be an issue with the surgery.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks Jessica very helpful as always :)
Leasing him for bathroom time will be difficult but I will do it I'm glad I have taken some time off work for this now as it could be a little tricky keeping an eye on him. Stupid as I am I didn't realise he would be on pain meds but thanks for letting me know that.
The vet seems to have his best interests at heart as he refused to neuter him until he was 8 months and has also flagged the anesthetic risk I think we will be ok he seems quite fond of George.
The weight issue is just a separate thing that I am just not sure about I'm sure it shouldn't be an issue with the surgery.

If you can take a picture from above of George standing -- we can tell ya if he is too heavy, but at 8 mths I really would not be too concerned ... he has LOTS of growing to do.. 1st year up and 2nd year out

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Oh what is ACE? If it's a medication we may not have it here in Ireland or it could be under another name.
You are all so good and helpful thank you all so much.

OP
Evilo

Evilo

Nov 10, 2015
Leitrim, Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
George Bentley
Thanks I'll write that down in his file so I know to ask :up:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oh what is ACE? If it's a medication we may not have it here in Ireland or it could be under another name.
You are all so good and helpful thank you all so much.

It is a pre-op sedative that short nose breeds have a difficult time coming out of ....full name is acepromazine

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.