How long does it take to house train

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
What is the average time that it takes to house train a bully. I have had daisy a few days she is 13 weeks old and I am trying to crate train her. I have been putting her out every 30 minutes but she still manages to have enough pee to do 1 indoors if I take my eye of her for a second lol. Also she is barking everynight around 4/5 am and has the whole house up, I guess it's because she has been going to the toilet in her crate. What time do you recommend that I put her out for her last pee before bedtime,

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
At 13 weeks she can only hold her bladder for about 3 hours, but every dog is different. I've raised lots of breeds and pups and they are all unique but I've always had luck with crate training and you just need to have patience. I always take them out 10 min after eating or drinking then if they don't go I take them again every 15 min. If they are in their crate I take them as soon as I take them out. At night I set an alarm to take them out every 3 hours.

The big thing is consistency and patience. Try to learn the difference between the I gotta go whine and the I don't want to be in here cry. Don't go to them when you get the I want attention cry and they will settle down. Some take longer than others. We got a snuggle puppy for ours from Smart Pet Love, it has a heart beat and you can also add heat to it. We are using it with our new baby Jupiter 7 weeks old and she sleeps soundly every-time we put her in the crate.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
As far as I understand a dog can hold it's bladder for about as many hours as they are months old when they are young... so 13 weeks is about 3-4 hours.

When potty training my dogs I've been setting my alarm to wake me up so I can take them out at appropriate intervals, after a while they've learned and they wake me up when they want to go out. I have always kept my puppies next to my bed so I can hear if they are awake.

Take them out after every nap, meal and play time. Praise them and give them a treat when they are good doing their business outside and never punish them for an accident inside. Just calmly and quietly clean it up or if you catch them in the act, say firmly "no", pick them up and let them continue outside.

Some dogs can hold it longer and some not, it's different but you'll notice after a while. I know some have had a hard time potty training their bulldogs, I've been lucky, at about 4 months old they've not had accidents inside anymore and could manage with only one potty break during the night. I can't really remember how long I kept taking them out during the night... it wasn't long... I think at 5-6 months they slept through the night:)

It is a bit of a mission but the more persistent you are the faster they'll learn and you can sleeeeep, lol.

OP
Harriett

Harriett

Jan 22, 2016
Belfast Ireland
Country
Ireland
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Thanks John and Petra for the sound advice, i never thought about actually setting an alarm and getting up to let her out I will do that tonight at least the rest of the family will get some sleep lol, also if I do this do you think that she should settle straight back down to sleep again

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You have received very good advice! What is very important is a routine. As stated, all pups are different. Some take longer than others,but don't give up! When you put Daisy back in her crate,just put her in and don't fuss with her. She may whine,but she will get used to a routine. Best of luck, and hang in there! They are all different and some take longer than others.

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
To be honest it took mine until 8 months until he could hold it consistently. Don't give up. I also found he tore up his pee pads. I found out about reusable pads too late.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks John and Petra for the sound advice, i never thought about actually setting an alarm and getting up to let her out I will do that tonight at least the rest of the family will get some sleep lol, also if I do this do you think that she should settle straight back down to sleep again

Agree with the gang --- schedule is everything. It took our French Bulldog 2 full years to get on the program :stinkeye:

As for settling back in at night, she may bark/whine a little, but you have to be strong and ignore it or she will know how to get you to respond to her. GOOD LUCK!

jdeveaux

Bully Buttler
Jan 12, 2016
Sugar Land, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jupiter
After a couple of nights she will. Our little Jupiter is 7 weeks and we've had her for two nights and thus far she does cry for a minute or so but then she snorts and goes back to sleep. I keep her next to my bed so she can hear us and feel safe.

This wont help you much at this point but when we picked her up we also took the snuggle puppy with us and let her siblings play with it so it had their smell to comfort her.

You just need to have the will power to not go to them for the attention cry. I'm much better at it than my wife so I do most of the potty training work.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
What is the average time that it takes to house train a bully. I have had daisy a few days she is 13 weeks old and I am trying to crate train her. I have been putting her out every 30 minutes but she still manages to have enough pee to do 1 indoors if I take my eye of her for a second lol. Also she is barking everynight around 4/5 am and has the whole house up, I guess it's because she has been going to the toilet in her crate. What time do you recommend that I put her out for her last pee before bedtime,

Hi, the rule of thumb for training a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour for every month of age, so it takes about 5 to 6 months fully train a puppy. By the age of 5 months, they should be able to hold for about 5 or 6 hours.
The best way to train a puppy is to use a strict schedule until they are fully trained.

This is is the schedule I used when I was training my two guys:

[h=2]
icon1.png
Re: Potty training help?[/h]
Hi, the general rule of thumb for a puppy is that they can hold their bladder for 1 hour over their age, so a 2 month old puppy can hold for 3 hours, a 4 month old puppy can hold for 5 hours, and they should be totally trained by 5 months old, and can hold for 6 hours by this age. Puppy training is mostly consistency and schedule. This is the schedule we used for our guys when they were puppies, and it worked really well.

It took us 5 months to fully potty train. The general rule is that they should be able to hold 1 hour for every month of age, so that by the time they are 5 months they should be able to hold for 6 hours. We used a pretty strict schedule for training our guys, until they were trained. Here is the schedule that worked for us.

Re: Advice on potty training! I reposted this from an older post, hope it helps.

For potty training, we just used a schedule, this is what we did and they were trained by the time they were 5 months old, and we've never had a accident in the house.

Hi new Bully parents, my name is Monica, and I have 2 English Bulldog pups, they are both 9 months old, and are brother and sister, their names are Bulldozer and Blossom. I've noticed a lot of new puppy owners have posted questions regarding potty training for their new babies. Since my 2 are now 9 months old, and I have been through this already, I thought I might share what worked for us. The puppy stage is very much like having a baby in the house, the training takes time and patience, and sleepless nights, but it is a temporary phase. The best thing that you can do to make potty training go smooth and without accidents is to first crate train your new baby, this will make your life much easier. Crate training your pup is not a cruel thing to do, they actually learn that the crate is a safe place. You can use it for sleeping, and for a safe place to put puppy in when you can't watch or supervise them, and for when you need to go out. The other important thing to do for successful puppy training is establishing a schedule. This worked the best for us, and our babies were fully trained by 5 months old. The schedule that worked for us was:

6 am: Take puppy out for their first pee and poop of the day

7 am: Feed puppy breakfast 1/3 of a cup kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

7 am: From 7 am to 2 pm take your puppy out every hour or two throughout the day , and increase the
time by an hour each week , so they learn to hold.

2 pm: Feed puppy lunch 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy in crate for 10 mins to let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out for potty again.

2 pm: From 2 pm to 8 pm, take your puppy out every hour or two during the day.

8 pm: Feed puppy dinner 1/3 of a cup of kibble mixed with water.
Place puppy back in crate of 10 mins to,let tummy settle after eating.
Then take puppy out again.

8 pm: From 8 pm to 11 pm , take your puppy out every hour or two, until around 11 pm or 11:30 pm.
The last pee and poo break will be at around 11 pm before you go to bed.
Take your puppy's water away around 8 or 9 pm, otherwise you will have many accidents throughout
the night.

2 am: We would set our cell phone for 2 am to go out for a pee. The time between 11 pm and 6 am when
they go out for their first pee is too long for the new puppy to hold, but again this a temporary phase,
and the puppy will eventually be able to hold all night. This happened for us when the pups were 5
months old. After they were 5 months old, we were able to eliminate the 2 am outing, and they were
able to hold for 4 or 5 hours at a time during the day.

I hope this helps any new puppy owner that has maybe never owned a pup before, and doesn't know how to train a puppy, or anyone who has a new puppy and is struggling to train them. At first it's like you are training when the puppies will go, but eventually they will tell you when they need to go out, they will either go to the door, or bark, or whine, my female Blossom will whine, when she wants out, my male Dozer will bark. Another thing to do is take your puppy out before and after they play, as they will always go pee after they have been excited.

Good luck to everyone, and remember this is a temporary phase , your puppy will be trained before
You know it. Enjoy your new baby.

0 Comment(s)​

Charlie Whyman

Jan 26, 2016
Nottingham, UK
Country
UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley
We have a 11 week old puppy who cried a couple of times for the first few nights but then sleeps through the night. We take him out frequently during the day time and have had a few accidents but these are getting better

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.