Question: Beds or Blankets for their Kennel?

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
So Penny is pretty much as perfect as a dog gets. Her only flaw is she LOVES to chew on her bed in her kennel during the day. Between the 2 of them (since July), I've bought 6 or 7 beds. Lockjaw doesn't chew his bed (anymore) so he is good in that department. So i'm wondering, should I just put a plushy blanket in there for her? What works for u guys? I also make sure they have different chew toys/ antlers in there while we're gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I've been very lucky to not have any pups that have done this.... but I do only use crate pads -- no beds.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We use crate pads as well. Harlea has 3 quilted ones and she doesn't chew on them. If we put a regular stuffed bed in her crate she destroys it in a few days for some reason.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
Chunky will chew up crate mats but leaves the bed alone that is in his crate. He has an oversized crate for him so I had both in the crate.

He does drag his blanket in the crate sometimes but lays on the blanket a lot in the floor

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Oh- yea I tried crate pad- and she chewed that. lol. She's about to get black listed from beds/ pads. Lol

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Oh- yea I tried crate pad- and she chewed that. lol. She's about to get black listed from beds/ pads. Lol

Some just can't have them

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
I use towels most times but the old sheets do not go to waste either
Like you tho waste not want not
I can not afford a personal bed for all , they are all started in crates , if they show that they still want the crates as there place they get them, but most do not none of My dogs at present want there crates and there all packed away till the next one comes along .
We have a store up here in Ontario Canada called Value Village and they get donations from people and hotels and you name it I try hard to get there towels as most come from hotels changing there stock dirt cheep good quality , very washable ect ect lottsa life left in them win win

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Yea- I might just load her up on towels / blankets. This is what she did to her bed:
6f0d5494c89a7afcfc3ebdbcc1708648.jpg

So I cover it with a towel and blanket. But sometimes she's pulls that off and gets at it again.
3ef473b2777531e1a80a0067d1df9ee7.jpg

2bulldogsstuff

Feb 15, 2015
Los Angeles
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brett & Logan 👼🏻🌈(1/3/05-05/1/21)
Logan destroys everything ! [emoji30]

PenelopeSays

Dec 9, 2015
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope
Penelope isn't much of a chewer (at least on bedding...everything else is another story), but I got her a Primo Pad for her crate and she's done great with it. It's made well and supposedly they're very hard to destroy. I think their website is PrimoPads.com

KimDe

Jan 6, 2016
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fezzik
My 9mo old gets old sheets and some fleece blankets. He chews on the bed and has destroyed the pads that I got him. He hasn't destroyed the blankets and seems to love his fleece. He will chew on them but not destroy them. I have yet to give him something with stuffing and just keep layering.

OP
Corine Pesantes

Corine Pesantes

Aug 13, 2015
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lockjaw and Penny
Thanks [MENTION=15178]PenelopeSays[/MENTION]! I checked out the site. I might try it out. But if she destroys this one- it's blankets and towels from here on out. Lol

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
frank chewed up every bed we got him, so there was about a 4 month period where we just used a blanket that he luckily did not chew on. after he got older and seemed to mellow out I bought yet another crate pad to try. He hasn't messed with it at all thankfully! Just took some time for him to grow out of that phase I guess.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We are fortunate enough to have been able to avoid this problem with our dogs. But from a cleaning point - blankets are so much easier to clean than bed so we've thrown out all our beds and use tones of blankets

NewEnglandBully

Poopah Scoopah
Community Veteran
Dec 29, 2013
Massachusetts
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sebastion (Sea Bass)
I have not had luck w/any bedding outside the crate. Any blankets or beds inside the crate never got chewed, peed on or destroyed. One bed we got (not cheap either) for our bedroom lasted about a week.

If it's only chewed on during the day, you could try removing the bedding during the day and replacing at night…otherwise, probably just stick w/the blanket, towels and chew toys. I learned early on trial and error is a big part of their individual training process. Finding what works and sticking w/it :yes:

Most Reactions