Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question: Beds or Blankets for their Kennel?

Dog Park Attendant
    Real Name
    Madie (Maydee)
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question: Beds or Blankets for their Kennel?

frank chewed up every bed we got him, so there was about a 4 month period where we just used a blanket that he luckily did not chew on. after he got older and seemed to mellow out I bought yet another crate pad to try. He hasn't messed with it at all thankfully! Just took some time for him to grow out of that phase I guess.

Real Name
    Nu
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Curly
    Likes (Received)

We are fortunate enough to have been able to avoid this problem with our dogs. But from a cleaning point - blankets are so much easier to clean than bed so we've thrown out all our beds and use tones of blankets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    check us out on Instagram: nu__berry (that's two under scrolls)

Poopah Scoopah Become a 4 Paw Member NewEnglandBully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Laurie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sebastion (Sea Bass)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have not had luck w/any bedding outside the crate. Any blankets or beds inside the crate never got chewed, peed on or destroyed. One bed we got (not cheap either) for our bedroom lasted about a week.

If it's only chewed on during the day, you could try removing the bedding during the day and replacing at night…otherwise, probably just stick w/the blanket, towels and chew toys. I learned early on trial and error is a big part of their individual training process. Finding what works and sticking w/it

"Unequivocally the Sweetest"

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Corine Pesantes View Post
    So Penny is pretty much as perfect as a dog gets. Her only flaw is she LOVES to chew on her bed in her kennel during the day. Between the 2 of them (since July), I've bought 6 or 7 beds. Lockjaw doesn't chew his bed (anymore) so he is good in that department. So i'm wondering, should I just put a plushy blanket in there for her? What works for u guys? I also make sure they have different chew toys/ antlers in there while we're gone.

Jewel was exactly the same way with her bedding. We told her No...but I think it is out of boredom despite all the toys and chew bones we put in with her. The wife would just buy another one and place it in her crate. She has since grown out of it.

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Hi, my guys can't have any blankets, towels, pillows, or stuffed animals in their crate at all, as they eat and swallow everything. They lay on the plastic tray, and I feel bad for them, but they don't seem to. I don't, and I can't trust them, because they shred, chew and swallow the material and the stuffing. I'm afraid they will choke or get sick. They do have oversized pillows that they use during the day, when they are out of the crate, but they only have them when we are home and can supervise them. If I see one of them chewing the pillow, all I have to say is No, and they stop chewing it. They either lay on their pillows during the day, or they sleep on the couch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg   -image-jpg  
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

6. Likes Chunky White liked this post
    Bulldog Vet in Training Corine Pesantes's Avatar
    Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

@rjisaterp, oh- I hope she outgrows it as well. I agree- I think it's out of boredom. I try to make sure I alternate the toys I place in there when we leave and they only get their antlers while in their crate (bc otherwise they fight over each other's antler). So that usually will keep her occupied for a while. I'm going to get a primo pad as a last ditch effort. Lol. If she chews that, it's blankets and sheets from there on out. Lol

"Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

Mommy of Lockjaw and Penny

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

@Vikinggirl, oh- they are precious!! They are both good with blankets/towels. But not anything plushy! They destroy and eat! Lol - I'm nervous like you. I'm slowing finding toys that are harder and harder for them to tear apart. Have u tried or heard of the primo pad? It's been suggested a few times on the forums and seems like a legit crate pad. I'm going to try that- her last chance to redeem herself! Lol

"Every once in a while, a dog (or 2) enters your life and changes everything!" <3

9. Likes Vikinggirl liked this post
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

@Vikinggirl, oh- they are precious!! They are both good with blankets/towels. But not anything plushy! They destroy and eat! Lol - I'm nervous like you. I'm slowing finding toys that are harder and harder for them to tear apart. Have u tried or heard of the primo pad? It's been suggested a few times on the forums and seems like a legit crate pad. I'm going to try that- her last chance to redeem herself! Lol

Thanks Corine. I haven't heard of the Primo Pad, but will definitely check out the website. We only give Dozer and Blossom the Kong toys, the Jolly Ball, and JWow toys, they all are hard and stand up to their chewing.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

@rjisaterp, oh- I hope she outgrows it as well. I agree- I think it's out of boredom. I try to make sure I alternate the toys I place in there when we leave and they only get their antlers while in their crate (bc otherwise they fight over each other's antler). So that usually will keep her occupied for a while. I'm going to get a primo pad as a last ditch effort. Lol. If she chews that, it's blankets and sheets from there on out. Lol Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Jewel did. And now that Jewel and Bentley has the run of the downstairs, I hope she does not decide on chewing the furniture. But alas, the queen of upholstery fixing is @cali baker, a master of using duct tape and who can provide great pointers on the repair of such.

Real Name
    Corine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lockjaw and Penny
    Likes (Received)

@rjisaterp - lol! I've seen some of her work on here. Mine are only 9 months (on Sunday), so they still have a little way to go before we trust them to free roam. So far though they've been pretty good about avoiding furniture. They've tried to "dual" chew one of my kitchen chairs- but a stern NO got them to stop. Other than that I really haven't had an issue.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads