brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
So we all know Brutus is very food aggressive. So last night I was wondering as I was cutting up the boys apple snack, why can he sit right beside Frankie and eat his apple without incident? He is fine with any kind of snack. Weird right? Any thoughts??

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Just a thought....do you hand feed the snack,or put it in his bowl? He may not relate the snack as "food" if it is not in his bowl.p.s. I am NOT a pro-just play one at home(or try to....) @brutus77

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
Just a thought....do you hand feed the snack,or put it in his bowl? He may not relate the snack as "food" if it is not in his bowl.p.s. I am NOT a pro-just play one at home(or try to....) @brutus77

I was going to ask the same, how are you giving it to him? He may have the aggression when its his bowl.... if you are hand feeding treats....

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I always hand feed snacks

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] I do not think Brutus relates the snacks to food, as in his bowl. I think it is good that he doesn't think of snacks that way!

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@brutus77 I do not think Brutus relates the snacks to food, as in his bowl. I think it is good that he doesn't think of snacks that way!
I agree with you. I knew you guys could figure it out!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@brutus77 I do not think Brutus relates the snacks to food, as in his bowl. I think it is good that he doesn't think of snacks that way!

:up: sounds like the bowl is HIS

1Chumly

Feb 19, 2015
Houston, TX
Country
From England
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster 2013-2023 Monty 6/2010 - 1/2020 Chumly 2002-2014
I am sure it is the bowl. Our American Bulldog was food aggressive to the point we would have to close the kitchen door and let her eat alone. The growling was ferocious! But, if we put her food on a plate we could do anything with it! She would bring us her bones to hold (and get thoroughly slimed) while she chewed them . We had to be careful how we introduced her toys etc. so that she didn't think they were 'hers'. The one huge problem we did have is when we didn't know any better and gave her a rawhide. She started to choke and it took a lot of muscle power from my husband to hold her and me to get it out of her mouth without getting bitten. It was very scary. Rawhide should be banned.

OP
brutus77

brutus77

Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I am sure it is the bowl. Our American Bulldog was food aggressive to the point we would have to close the kitchen door and let her eat alone. The growling was ferocious! But, if we put her food on a plate we could do anything with it! She would bring us her bones to hold (and get thoroughly slimed) while she chewed them . We had to be careful how we introduced her toys etc. so that she didn't think they were 'hers'. The one huge problem we did have is when we didn't know any better and gave her a rawhide. She started to choke and it took a lot of muscle power from my husband to hold her and me to get it out of her mouth without getting bitten. It was very scary. Rawhide should be banned.
Same here with Brutus, although he is not allowed to growl. He sits like a good boy waiting for his food and if he growls his food is picked up until he understands no growling allowed. He would never think to bite us, we put our hands in his bowl while he is eating so he understands it is normal for us to do this. He's the same with toys, if he tries to get possessive with a new toy, it gets taken away until he understands it's not his.

📰 Latest posts

Members online