Behavioral Question: Hanging out on the couch

LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Good day all, and happy new year to everyone!

In a few different places I have ready that "extended petting" can lead to some behavioral issues with dogs.
I have NOT seen evidence that this causes undesired behavior in Nelson, but wanted to see if others had feedback on this topic.

At least a few times a week, I will sit on the couch and watch something (or read). Most of the time, I will then let Nelson up on the couch with me. He tends to either (a) curl up in a ball against me or (b) put his head on my lap and then start dozing. I'm in pretty much constant contact with him (ie with a hand on his side/belly or under his chin) when we do this, and we may stay like that for an hour or two.

To me this seems like good pack behavior, particularly just the contact, so when I read otherwise it's a bit confusing.

Am I overthinking this? Bulldogs (or at least Nelson) seems to enjoy those types of movie-watching hangout times a lot (particularly if there is a dog on tv).

Thanks all!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I'm not sure what kind of behavioural issues would come out of what seems like very nice human-dog social interaction! Sounds totally normal to me and although we have some limits as to where Castor can be and when (e.g. the couch is ok if his blanket is on it; if not, he can't climb up) he is often close to us - will lie by my chair, almost on my feet, if I work from home, for instance - and he sleeps in my son's bed (at the foot of the bed).

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Perfectly fine .... this is what a Bulldog is all about, human contact and cuddles. Depending on the dog, it could be you would not do this due to dominance level, but as you describe it, Nelson is just fine with being with you on the sofa and not over 'petting'

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
No Jay take it from Me with 4 dogs now that is pure GOOD pack mentality , i have one dog Dakota that I have had for almost 2 years and only this past month or 2 will he do what your talking about , that particular dog had NO USE for any MAN , is all over any women and My Prettyone is at the top of that pile Jay
He came from a very bad situation MAN Made as in a male human .
I find some only want that contact periodically like or Siberian Husky Willow maybe twice a week she will want that contact when it happens it is very real contact , Rosie or any Bulldog I have had the pleasure of having almost demand that attention and they want the full monty of touch and talking too, We also have Odin a Cane Corso a big big 115 lb goof ball he also wants that connection very badly, we spoon in bed , he must be touching one of us almost all the time , loves to be talked too along with that touching, looks strait at you when I chat with him .
Hey these guys depend on us total and we receive so much back under normal conditions as i said it has taken most of the two years to get Dakota to trust Me enough for him to lie beside Me on the couch and have a chat and cuddle , you have it good bud very very normal for Nelson to want to be with you .

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I think you can be like this with most dogs when it's an only dog in the house, but when there's more they may start to fight for the position. Also if your bully is very dominant he/she may start to think it their couch and you can sit on the floor.

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Unless you're trying to correct some ongoing issue , I don't see it as a problem. Ruckus and Regina love to jump up and cuddle whenever we're on the couch.

OP
L

LordNelson

May 28, 2014
Austin, Tx
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nelson
Thanks for the responses everyone!

It does seem like this could be an issue with more than one dog in the house so maybe that is where my readings went astray.

Since it's just he and I, and he doesn't display any bad behavior, more couch time for him!
(also, I don't let him on the coach every time, and he does have to sit and wait a minute or so before I let him on).

Members online

No members online now.