cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
The reason for my post title is b/c I do at times feel like I'm not a good parent. (I can be rather self-critical and this is something I'm working on, believe me).

So last night I decide to take the boys out for a walk. This is something I have been VERY lax in during the past year. There would be days and days where I would not take the boys out on a walk. And then I'd wonder why Finn would get into fights with Tate. I know that exercise is very important for not only physical but also mental health benefits.

Anyway, we're walking last night when we approach this corner house. This eldely man walks out his front door and he has either a cane or a walker (it was dark so hard to really tell). At this point, Tate sees the man and goes ballistic! I mean, barking, lunging, just going nuts. Of course Finn has to get in on the excitement too so now I have two bulldogs who are lunging and barking and acting wildly out of character towards this elderly man. Meanwhile, I'm literally dragging both boys, trying to get the HECK out of there and round the corner so we could just disappear out of this man's sight! It took a couple minutes but I did manage to drag them away and I hear the man yelling. I think he said something like, "This is terrible...!" or something like that. As we finally round the corner, away from the man and his house, Tate is running as fast as he can and he keeps looking backwards as if he's totally SPOOKED! The remainder of the walk consisted of both Tate and Finn walking as fast as they could, and acting very much "on alert", jumping at every little noise.

I remember this elderly man from a year or so ago. We passed by him once before as he was taking out the trash and Tate did bark at him then too, and I do recall the man holding up his cane (or walker) and yelling out at Tate. That interaction was very brief however and I just recall the man being weird.

This time it was more intense, like Tate just sensed some negative energy.

So why am I sharing this story and telling you that I feel "inadequate". I guess I feel like I haven't raised two of the most well behaved bulldogs and I also know they both can still use some more training in being more social. Finn doesn't get along with other dogs, and mostly only tolerates Tate. I know that's how some dogs are. I also know I'm still a work in progress and have much to learn when it comes to animals. I think I tend to compare myself to other dog parents and think everyone else has "got it all together" so much more than I do when it comes to our dogs!
Thanks for listening! :mellow:

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Don't beat yourself up. I'm a horrible dog parent. Brutus and Ruthie have some manners but they do act out sometimes on walks....especially if they sense something like don't like or another dog I know they won't like. I would trust my dogs instincts on a person better than i would my own. That mans walker probably freaks them out too since it's not something they are used to seeing.

I personally don't think anyone has it "all together", so just keep your head up and maybe work with them a bit more!

TyTysmom

Nov 4, 2014
Katy, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tyson aka "Ty-Ty"
That makes two of us Henny. Which leads me to think, none of us are perfect. Now, Tyson doesn't have any type of acting out issues or aggression but I feel guilty for alot of things with him. I feel guilty for leaving him alone during the day, I feel like its our fault he ate the socks last year. I feel like its our fault he's overweight. The list goes on and on....

I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Think about it this way, you at least understand them each, and love them unconditionally. Had they been in any other home, perhaps they would not get the love/treatment they get with you or even worse they would be dropped off at the shelter. You are home. Its hard to change a dog that is set in their ways. Yes, you can work on it, etc.... but in the end, they are healthy - they are loved - and that's the best life any dog could ever ask for.

What about taking them to a seclusive area? We take Tyson to some baseball fields near our house during times that we know no one is there. We close the gates, and let him have at it. He runs, and plays, etc. Just a thought - that way they get their fun, and workout and you don't have to deal with interruptions/people/or other dogs.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks, Jennie and Jessica. I know none of us are perfect. I keep saying to myself that I'm going to find a trainer again so this is something I'm planning on actually doing in the coming months!

Jessica, that's exactly what I try to do...find a less-well-travelled area so that the 3 of us can walk and romp with some relative privacy. I'm off from work today and tomorrow so we went for a good, peaceful walk this a.m. at a different neighborhood than ours and didn't run into anyone (which was nice). When I just walk one of the boys by himself I feel more confident. I feel like I can handle him better when it's just one. When I have both together is when things can get a little dicey for me and my confidence level especial b/c Finn can be a tad difficult at times.

anyway, i'm glad i'm not alone. I knew you guys would "get it"!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] Oh, girl friend! I have had dogs for probably more years than you have been on this earth. Since I've always had fenced yards, I actually only did REAL leash work with the large dogs. There is no way I could walk my two bullies together. I took two of them to the vet together,and it was like a comedy show on tv. They walk like ladies alone(with a chain collar on(never having to correct) but two together are too much for me to handle.Talk about being a bad parent-they get so spoiled,as far as toys and vitamins,etc. but leash work-NOT! I can't go for a walk here-I'm in the country,but loose pitbulls come out of no where-unattended. I've never even seen a dog on a leash around here! So mine go out in their fenced yard,and they go to the vet one at a time-for regular visits. There are no such thing as dog parks,or dog sitters,etc. There are not all perks about living in the country. I know my dogs get bored,and I feel guilty about that-so then I get new nylabones!! Bored dogs cost me $$$:yes:You are a wonderful mother-and so good with duct tape! Next time duct tape that old guy to his house
images
:grumpa::grumpa:You know dogs can sense things that we can't. He may be an evil ole man, and the dogs knew it! READ MY LIPS::Muah:You are a great Mom!!!!

buffym

Apr 30, 2013
Allen Park, Michigan
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie, Dually (Forever in my Heart)
You are not a bad parent!! Maybe the dogs were spooked by the old mans cane or walker, afterall, this isn't something they see on a daily basis!! As for the walks, my bulldog and boxer hardly ever go for walks (mainly because Im just lazy and don't feel like going) Dually will not go for a walk without me so if I don't go he doesn't go. The boxer Gunner is up for a walk anytime day or night but since I live in Michigan and usually hibernate in the winter he only gets to go if the temperature is above 50 degrees. Mine are far from well behaved although most people think Dually is extremely well behaved since he is afraid of new people and usually doesn't get excited when people come over, Gunner is a completely different story. He is a total psycho dog when he meets new people and we can not control him, if you try he ends up peeing all over because he just cant contain his excitement. So that being said, don't beat yourself up, we all have our faults and so do our fur babies.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Well I GUESS I will join the club too… Lol

Walter has been to training several times AND socialized BUT if someone rings our doorbell/comes in the house he acts like a complete maniac!!! It's embarrassing… and don't get me started on walks, the first 5 minutes he's either pulling me down the driveway or eating the leash :rofl: THEN of course my new baby Willow likes to POOP on the vents… WINNING!!!

I think that ALL of us have these thoughts at times… BUT the point is to keep working w/them and hopefully ONE day soon a lightbulb will click and they will get it!!! TILL then my motto is "FAKE IT TILL YOU MAKE IT!!!"

harveyspecter

Harvey's Executive Assistant
Community Veteran
Aug 5, 2014
Yorba Linda (The OC), California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey Specter
Can't secondguess yourself knowingly you did what you can in rearing them. Just like your kids, you just wish they turn out to be awesome people when they mature.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Got it all together.... good Lord, who does? Hey, hello.... BANKS.... 9 yr training session is all I got to say on that topic :facepalm:

Do not beat yourself up --- we all have down and/or off days and some pups are just harder than others. Try to find a good balance for you and work from there... it will come together. :hug:

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
You know what'll make you feel better? Seeing Bella when someone comes into the house or when she sees another dog. She's a complete psycho! I feel very guilty, I can't lie. She was a very well-socialized puppy (2 sessions of Petsmart puppy class, daily daycare for almost a year, regular walks, etc). I'm starting to feel like she's just psycho. I have a psycho dog. It is what it is. LOL

I'm sorry...I totally understand, but try not to beat yourself up.

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
This sounds like an issue with the man, not your dogs!!!

I too sometimes feel like I've done a sh*t job with Winslow. Why can't he be normal, and nice, when we have company?! What did i miss, will he always be this way, etc. I totally get it.

But again, this sounds like something with that man. Maybe they were picking up on something, and maybe hightailing it outta there was the best thing whether they were behaving or not!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Bulldogs are difficult dogs a lot of the time, they all have their quirks
and bizarre behavior, it is what it is. Focus on the good, forget about
the odd bad and enjoy them and your life with them.

We can all guilt ourselves to death about what we should/shouldn't be
and do or don't do. Remember, be your own best friend! If something
is truly out of hand, work on it but lovingly & kindly do so. At the end
of the day, rest, relax and let it go, tomorrow is a brand new day!

Shared from a former perfectionist.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
At this point I'm happy if I can keep my dogs alive...:ashamed: so I'm joining the "bad";) bulldog parent club as well:tongue:

I think Tate and Finn felt some animosity coming from the old man. If anyone did that when I walk Boeboe she'd go bat sh*t crazy! She can't stand things that are different:eek: I can't talk to people by the gate of our house, Boeboe is going full rage, barking with foam coming out of her mouth:fie:

Everyone has different personalities, dogs too. As long as my dogs are happy and healthy I don't really care if they can't behave around all people:blush2:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
What is this a new club? Stop felling sorry for yourselves. Pick yourselves up, brush yourselves off, and continue to march! HOOOAH!

Lol...maybe it has to do with the 'resolve to improve your bad self' club that rolls out
every New Year's. I never paid that crap any mind, ever! Everyone here are good bully
parents, doing the best they can, otherwise wouldn't be here educating themselves and
others.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.