cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I work pretty long hours during the day which means Finn and Tate are left at home alone. Tate is not confined and has free reign of the living room whereas Finn is crated. I just got the new play-pen for Finn though which means he has more room besides the crate to walk around in ,so he's not cramped in the crate for 10 hours a day.

Now I'm thinking of hiring a pet sitter to drop by once a day. This lady charges by the hour so she'd spend the hour with the boys, take them out for potty, and maybe even take them for a walk. My question is, what's a good time for her to drop by? I leave work around 7:15am and get home around 5pm on most days. Should I ask her to come smack in the middle of the day, like at 12noon? The other thing is, Finn still has pee accidents (Tate doesn't), and that's the main reason why I wanted a sitter. So, I'm trying to target the time she comes with the best time for Finn to have a potty break (and hopefully he won't pee inside the house at all).

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please share!

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
I go to work at 6:30 & get off at 7 at night. 2 days on, then 3 days off etc.

I feed Murphy at 3:30 when we get up, he potties then immedeitly lays down for a nap while I'm getting ready.
He is crated from 6:15 to 11-11:30.
He is 8 months old and does really well with that.
I feed him, he potties and we play for the rest of the lunch hour.

Then when I leave after the hour he usually gets put in his big play pin, which he sleeps in his attached crate anyways. Lazy boy!
But I give him peanut butter on a kong bone before I leave, so he is occupied.

Then my husband gets home at 3:30ish.
He potties immedeitly.

That's our schedule, but he is a very lazy bulldog.
If we aren't around he sleeps.

I would say directly half way through your shift to have someone come and check on them :)

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Hi [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] It sounds to me like 12:noon would be about right. That would leave 5 hours in the a.m. after you leave,and the same before you come home. But what is their schedule when you are home-when does he seem to go the most? Also, make sure you get plenty of references(and speak to them,too) your babies are very valuable to you:luv::guns:.(and thieves,too)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
thank you, [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] Lynn! Yes, you're right about getting the references, etc...At times I'm a little too trusting. This lady is someone i emailed two years ago and she lives in the neighborhood. I used to use a dog sitting agency so I'm also thinking of going that route. This was when the boys were puppies.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Sounds like a great idea, I was thinking about doing that for a job myself… Lol I think noon would be the perfect time, I hope everything works out!!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sounds like a great idea, I was thinking about doing that for a job myself… Lol I think noon would be the perfect time, I hope everything works out!!!

can i hire YOU, Tracey?! shucks, too bad you live too far. Seriously, it can be challenging finding someone trustworthy AND responsible!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
can i hire YOU, Tracey?! shucks, too bad you live too far. Seriously, it can be challenging finding someone trustworthy AND responsible!

Are YOU kidding me, I would absolutely LOVE it… :w00t: Not sure if Ray is ready to live back in CA again… Lol Have you checked on Care.com?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
There is also a sight called Dog Vacay, I believe.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Our sitter is asked to come anywhere between 11:30-1:00. Lewis crates them at 6:15am and i get home between 4:00-4:30.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I work pretty long hours during the day which means Finn and Tate are left at home alone. Tate is not confined and has free reign of the living room whereas Finn is crated. I just got the new play-pen for Finn though which means he has more room besides the crate to walk around in ,so he's not cramped in the crate for 10 hours a day.

Now I'm thinking of hiring a pet sitter to drop by once a day. This lady charges by the hour so she'd spend the hour with the boys, take them out for potty, and maybe even take them for a walk. My question is, what's a good time for her to drop by? I leave work around 7:15am and get home around 5pm on most days. Should I ask her to come smack in the middle of the day, like at 12noon? The other thing is, Finn still has pee accidents (Tate doesn't), and that's the main reason why I wanted a sitter. So, I'm trying to target the time she comes with the best time for Finn to have a potty break (and hopefully he won't pee inside the house at all).

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, please share!

I got excited when I saw the title I thought I was going to read your coming to visit me in Australia and needed someone to sit with the boys.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I got excited when I saw the title I thought I was going to read your coming to visit me in Australia and needed someone to sit with the boys.

Oh Julie, I WISH!!! ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I've emailed 3 different people in my neighborhood who say they are "pet sitters". Will see what happens!

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] I feel your pain. I wish I was close enough from work to go home at lunch to spend a little time with Murray but unfortunately that's currently not the case until I'm able to move which I hope to do this year but in the meantime I have a couple of family members and friends who help me out on longer work days. I'm grateful they're able to help me out but unfortunately it adds a couple extra hours in my daily commute which isn't ideal. Good luck!!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Good news! I decided to check in with Fetch Pet Care which is an agency I used when Tate was 8 weeks old and I needed a sitter back then. Well, I'm getting the same young lady who watched Tate and Finn when they were puppies, to come by for 15 minutes every work day starting next Tues the 19th :)

Those 15min won't be long enough for a walk but at least the boys will be able to go outside and run around a little bit. I'll see how it goes and maybe lengthen the time as we go along, but for now, this will be a good start and hopefully Finn won't pee in his play pen.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Good news, and I'll bet they remember her,too! Dogs usually remember those that they knew when they were pups. [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION]

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online