madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Long rant ahead... just need to get this out.

we've been having issues with the neighbors next door since they moved in, about 6 months ago. They have a female german shepard and a tiny fenced in back yard that butts up to our yard (unfenced) so there is just a small chain link between us.

It seems like the german shepard is always outside, always barking. You can literally hear it several blocks down the street. I always hear it when I'm out walking frank. I've really grown to hate the noise. The husband seems indifferent to the dog... but it's the wife's constant companion. She doesn't leave much during the day, so she's always there with the dog.

We have 2 main issues, obviously the noise. I hate to be like that, I know dogs bark. But this is excessive and at times of the day I feel are inconsiderate to the neighborhood. My boyfriend and I work opposite schedules so we rarely get to sleep in together, but on the days we do, we're always woken up around 6-7am by the barking. And it's not just out and in for a potty break, the dog is out there for hours at a time. constantly barking. at this point it's like nails on the chalkboard to us. I also go to bed pretty early, but am always woken up around 9-10pm again by the barking. I've never seen her walk the dog either. I know GSD's need to have a purpose, they are working dogs and need to feel useful. I think that's part of the problem.

Next issue is... quite frankly, I'm scared of the thing. Whenever I take frank outside to potty (he's always leashed) the german shep just paces back and forth along the fence that's between us. Barking its head off and lunging at us... behavior I take as aggressive/intimidating. I've been trying to read it's body language and it does seem aggressive to me. The part that really upsets me though, several times the wife has seen me outside with frank, we will make eye contact, and she'll still open up the door and let the GSD out. She will stand and watch it as it lunges and barks at us. She doesn't even bother to come outside and call it off. So many scenarios run through my head, what would I do if it comes over the fence and goes after frank? Frank is a tiny little bulldog... he wouldn't stand a chance.

When they first moved in I went over to plead my case, but was met at the driveway by the husband who kind of minimized the barking, and told me his dog is 'actually really friendly'.

So on saturday morning, after over an hour of constant barking at 6am, we called the police and made a noise complaint. My boyfriend is really noise sensitive so this has just been driving him nuts. We've even tried ear plugs and it didn't help at all. At this point we have no relationship with the neighbors, so I don't think it's worth it to try to talk to them again, and I'm so frustrated I'm afraid it wouldn't go well anyway.

I don't know what else to do!! same day we made the noise complaint the dog was out again at 8pm for 2 hours. sigh!!!

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
I don't blame you. You have to watch out for Frank, yourselves and it's just rude.

We have the same problem with our neighbors dogs. I make sure to never let Ruthie and Brutus out with their 4 dogs because they just stand at the fence and bark. We can't even enjoy our yard and deck in the summer if they come out to potty, it's incessant barking. Drives me nuts. They also do nothing with their dogs and they are terriers...I tell them all the time if you would just walk them, they wouldn't bark as much but that goes in one ear and out the other.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Some people just dont get it, I would do the same and when they let the dog out again, call the cops again and again. They'll get sick of the fines and either have the dog trained or correct it. It works and is the right thing to do.

paw7004

Aug 30, 2012
Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tebow
I live in a townhouse subdivision. Some time back, a neighbor's dog was always barking. I felt sorry for him because he seemed lonely but dang... the noise. I tried to teach him to be quiet but that didn't work. So I got one of those egg-shaped dog barking devices. It lets out a high frequency noise that makes most dogs stop barking. A short blast, he'd quiet down and I'd say "good dog". Had to do this several times but soon he didn't bark so much anymore. I made sure that the bleeps were very short. My smaller dachshunds would start barking angrily when they heard it. I didn't have to be outside for him to hear it so I could just open my patio door and do a short bleep, the dog didn't even see me. I think the neighbors got tired of their dog because he was gone after a few months. They would leave him out in the summer heat with a flimsy water bowl that Dog would dump over, never walked him, etc. Like I said, I felt sorry for the poor thing.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
You did the right thing, people are oblivious when it comes to respecting other's rights… you have the right to be able to have peace & quiet in your OWN home. That being said, GSD are working dogs… so he's bored and lonely. Most dogs will be aggressive of their territory be it a leash, cage, etc… because they are locked in that prison 24/7. I'm sure they haven't even bothered socializing him at all, that would take precious time… It make me angry & sad that people get dogs and leave them outside to fend for themselves when we all know they are pack animals and want to be w/their pack (family).

I would call Animal Control & let them keep getting the fines… eventually they will have to change their ways or re-home the dog.

Chunky White

Chunky's Chauffeur
Aug 13, 2015
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunky White
I feel your pain!! The only two sh..ty dogs in my neighborhood are both at the same house and they dislike me because i am friends with her husband who she filed for divorce from as soon as he left town for business training and moved her sheriffs deputy boyfriend and his pitbull mix in. Her dog is the little jack russell who has bitten chunky at any chance it has been given.

The Pit is chained up on the side of the house where it can see everything going on in the neighborhood and barks for attention. Its a better dog than the Jack Russell though. I have played with him when he has crossed over to the empty lot next to them.

If I call the cops he shows up or they think I am doing it because I am still friends with her husband who I haven't spoken too about what she is doing other than saying yes when he asked if the rumor is true. And she is a lawyer who sues the builders for anything she dislikes or she doesn't think fits the specs. My neighborhood is new and has multiple house being built at all times. She kept me from being able to have a fence. I hope she moves

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
poor pup..... you are so rigt, he is lonely and needs a job. freakin people --- they suck!

I hope something gives for you guys.... can you maybe put up a privacy fence just on that side?

OP
M

madie4589

Feb 9, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I live in a townhouse subdivision. Some time back, a neighbor's dog was always barking. I felt sorry for him because he seemed lonely but dang... the noise. I tried to teach him to be quiet but that didn't work. So I got one of those egg-shaped dog barking devices. It lets out a high frequency noise that makes most dogs stop barking. A short blast, he'd quiet down and I'd say "good dog". Had to do this several times but soon he didn't bark so much anymore. I made sure that the bleeps were very short. My smaller dachshunds would start barking angrily when they heard it. I didn't have to be outside for him to hear it so I could just open my patio door and do a short bleep, the dog didn't even see me. I think the neighbors got tired of their dog because he was gone after a few months. They would leave him out in the summer heat with a flimsy water bowl that Dog would dump over, never walked him, etc. Like I said, I felt sorry for the poor thing.

we're really thinking about getting one of those! It just sucks to have to pay to train someone else's dog...

poor pup..... you are so rigt, he is lonely and needs a job. freakin people --- they suck!

I hope something gives for you guys.... can you maybe put up a privacy fence just on that side?

we're renting while we work on a home we are building... so we're kind of stuck here with not a lot of options.

Our landlord quoted us $2000 to fully fence our yard, which would only be two sides of fence. I just can't justify $2000 for a rental home we will be leaving in a year or two. and 2 grand seems outrageous for the small amount of fence we would need. I know fencing is expensive but I was hoping for $500-800.

we've been tossing around the idea of moving to another rental when our lease is up, but I don't know if I have it in me to move again so soon!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=13682]madie4589[/MENTION] Dear madie, you are the perfect example of why I have always tried to live where there were no neighbors,or at least not close! I say, although I know how tedious moving is (we moved several times) I think it would be worth it to have peace,to find another place.until you can get into your own home. If you do that, what ever you can live without,until your home is built,put in storage. I feel that Frank is eventually going to be hurt,also. I don't understand how anyone can even stand their own dog barking incessantly. I've always(adult life)had many animals, and didn't want them to bother any one else, but I have had some that I've had cow trouble with!!
In your situation, one day past your lease,is one day too long! I remember it being discussed before-with no resolution. Moving is not the worst thing that could happen!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
This has been a long time coming and it's unfortunate that the dog might be the unintended victim of the situation, but it isn't your fault. At a certain point, your rest and sanity (not to mention, Frank's safety) have to come first. It sounds like these people got a dog without being knowledgeable about the breed and what it means to own a dog. I think best case scenario they would relent and surrender the dog to a GSD rescue. Or maybe start taking him for runs....but that one doesn't sound likely. Good luck!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we're really thinking about getting one of those! It just sucks to have to pay to train someone else's dog...

we're renting while we work on a home we are building... so we're kind of stuck here with not a lot of options.

Our landlord quoted us $2000 to fully fence our yard, which would only be two sides of fence. I just can't justify $2000 for a rental home we will be leaving in a year or two. and 2 grand seems outrageous for the small amount of fence we would need. I know fencing is expensive but I was hoping for $500-800.

we've been tossing around the idea of moving to another rental when our lease is up, but I don't know if I have it in me to move again so soon!

I thought that was your situation, but was not sure I was remembering correctly --- for the time you have to get into your own place, I'd be looking to move or fork out for the fence.... either way it may costs you the 2 grand :(

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.