Potentially adding a second bulldog to our family - advice from other Rescue owners

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Well after meeting with her for almost two hours we decided not to bring her home for a trial :(
She was poorly socialized and she kept escalating her aggression against Odin to the point of drawing blood. I feel so bad not even giving her a trial, Odin never showed any aggression back to her and kept going back trying to engage her by play bowing, showing her his side etc. But she would get so worked up it would eventually turned too much - at one point My boyfriend had to put all his weight on her to get her to let go of Odin's neck.

I know with some socialization and training she will be a wonderful girl, but we also have a 5 month old baby and I don't know what would happen if I was feeding the baby and had to break up a dog fight. She even started listening to my boyfriend when he would give her commands so you could tell she would be easy to train, just too much for us right now. I even had tears telling them we wernt going to take her. The rescue is now going to ask for a home with no other dogs and mandatory training.

Such a heartbreak but we had to think of our first baby Odin - he has played with many Bulldogs before and we could tell this was very different because he usually got along so well and couldn't get enough but he started to back off a lot.

It sounds like you made a good choice for your present situation. A 5 month old baby and a bully can present their own challenges without adding to the mix. My advise; wait until the baby is at least potty trained so you will not have to avert your focus on something else, enjoy the baby right now. Good luck!

OP
Bambi

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
It sounds like you made a good choice for your present situation. A 5 month old baby and a bully can present their own challenges without adding to the mix. My advise; wait until the baby is at least potty trained so you will not have to avert your focus on something else, enjoy the baby right now. Good luck!

Thanks, we are really lucky with Odin that he has adapted so well to the baby, he made the transition pretty easily adjusting to the new baby. He loves him and is our protector now, whenever he gets scared of a leaf blowing in the wind he now puts himself between us and that scary leaf haha.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
:up: It's good to hear he's become your personal Gargoyle!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.