Potentially adding a second bulldog to our family - advice from other Rescue owners

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
We have a meeting this weekend to see how Odin (19 month old male) gets along with a 3 year old female rescue. She is on her third home :( first home newborn baby has an allergy, so not the dogs fault at all. The second home who she currently is being fostered by decided not to keep her because they felt she was not the right fit with their current dog (bully mix breed but is on the small side, looks like he could be a Boston terrier mix to me) because she plays to "rough", but admits their dog doesn't like to play very hard. Now Odin plays like a typical bulldog, loud and "rough" he has been very well socialized going to puppy class and doggy daycare since he was 11 weeks old.

what I'm looking for are any tips from you pros on a smooth transition. Saturday we bring her home with us for a trial as long as they play well together.

Thanks in advance image.jpeg

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have any experience of adding a second dog after I had a dog since I brought home both my babies home at the same time. They are siblings and litter mates. You are doing the right thing by learning about her background, and doing a trial with her and Odin. In my experience I find a male and a female dog seem to get along better than two dogs of the same sex, but not always. Two Females can sometimes show jealousy towards each other, and two males can sometimes be aggressive. I hope you have a successful trial meeting with them and everything works out. Thank You for trying to rescue this baby girl and I hope she becomes part of your family soon. Please keep us updated on how it went.

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)
Hi Bambi. We had Jewel (now she is just over 2 1/2 years old) for a year before we got Bentley. Jewel is 6 months older than Bentley. Jewel was very dominate at first herding Bentley around the yard and in the house. So make sure you are the Alpha and not Odin or the new girl. We now have had Bentley for over a year now and the two get along pretty good except for the occasional scrap over toys. We try to give attention to both equally. More recently, Jewel seems that she is left out and I have been paying more attention to her and not so much to Bentley (although as long as I keep retrieving Bentleys football so he can play).

Since Odin has received a puppy education and is socialized, I think it will work out for you and I hope it does because I don't want to see or hear that the little girl will go to a fourth home.

Thank you for your consideration in taking in the new girl.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few members that brought a rescue in or have multiple dogs in the home to give some insight....

Best thing to do is make sure they meet on neutral ground... a park or some place that they do not consider their home.... let then 'sniff' each other (say hello) and go for a walk with the pups on the outer side of each human , then when you get to your house.... human enter first, then dogs

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Hi Bambi. I have a rescue that was introduced to my original bulldog who was a little over 1. If I could get it to work out between Brutus (resident dog) and Frankie (rescue) anyone can. Frankie came to our home when he was two. He is a great dog, but had no manners. Brutus is a great dog but very spoiled, dominant and anxious. I took them on a long walk first so they could get a bit used to each other. Then I let them into the back yard. This is where it went sideways for us. Brutus was not happy having a brother but don't lose hope. We brought them in the house and separated them. Brutus had the run on most of the house and Frankie was in the kitchen and breakfast room. One of us would sit with Frankie and watch tv with him in the breakfast room so he didn't get lonely and we did something called crate and rotate. One would take a nap for a bit in their crate and the other would have free run with us, and then switch. We used a metal kiddie gate that had wide spaces so the boys could see and smell each other. it took a while but at first I would see Brutus going to the gate and checking out Frankie, then I noticed that Brutus would bring a toy and stuff it under the gate for Frankie. When Brutus would come to the gate, Frankie would turn his body sideways flush with the gate. This was telling Brutus it was ok that Brutus to be the dominant dog. When I saw Brutus bringing toys, I started putting both in harness with a leash and let them have supervised leashed play, that way if Brutus was aggressive or displayed behavior not acceptable to me, The alpha dog, it was immediately corrected. We did this for about a week, and when I felt they were accepting of each other, really Brutus accepting Frankie, I let them off leash and made what I lovingly call the "puppy bomb". It is an empty 12oz soda can a quarter of the way full of pennies with the top taped up. If they got to crazy I lobbed the can so i would land next to them and sternly said "enough" and they would stop any nonsense. It took all told about a month and an half for peace to reign in the household but it was so worth sticking it out. Brutus and Frankie love each other now and play together and cuddle like they were born together. Also very important, while introducing a new dog, remove anything that you think your resident dog would guard or would consider to be of high value. This includes toys, bedding, and especially bones! This will not hurt your resident dogs feeling and will help transition the new dogs immensely. Just remember to correct any unwanted behavior as soon as you see it and be consistent in anything you say or do. You are the alpha and they have to know it. Good luck, honestly, you will never experience a love more pure and strong than you will from a rescue dog. I have cried many days just from the pure love we get from Frankie. I love him more than I could ever say.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=11942]Bambi[/MENTION] I remember when [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] rescued Frankie-she had such patience, and did an amazing job! I have rescued dogs,when I have had already 3 or 4 dogs. They were not EBD's.(I think EBD's are usually more "possesive/jealous, of a grown dog. I just brought them home,and let them all meet outside. I must have been very lucky. I only had one problem,which was a Frenchie. She had been an only dog,and when she got used to things,she became protective of me, and would attack my dogs. That just didn't work out, and I couldn't keep her. I would recommend that you try not to be nervous(as they can tell) and be in charge. As recommended,put the toys away,for now, and give your dog his usua attention. He is socialized. I would guess that it will depend on the other dog,if it works out or not.Best wishes for everything working out! If it doesn't, do not blame yourself!

OP
Bambi

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
Thanks for all your advice!! We go Saturday morning and here's hoping for a smooth first meeting

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Good luck [MENTION=11942]Bambi[/MENTION]! My fingers are crossed for you guys that all goes well :)

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Great advice, like 2BullyMama says...

Meet on neutral ground and go for a long walk with them side by side so they are both tired before entering your home. I would also try to avoid situations that can create jealousy, if they start to fight it's hard to make things right.
Since they are male and female the chances things will go well is high:)

And thank you for rescuing<3

I hope everything will go well, please post pics:w00t:

OP
Bambi

Bambi

May 24, 2014
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Odin
Well after meeting with her for almost two hours we decided not to bring her home for a trial :(
She was poorly socialized and she kept escalating her aggression against Odin to the point of drawing blood. I feel so bad not even giving her a trial, Odin never showed any aggression back to her and kept going back trying to engage her by play bowing, showing her his side etc. But she would get so worked up it would eventually turned too much - at one point My boyfriend had to put all his weight on her to get her to let go of Odin's neck.

I know with some socialization and training she will be a wonderful girl, but we also have a 5 month old baby and I don't know what would happen if I was feeding the baby and had to break up a dog fight. She even started listening to my boyfriend when he would give her commands so you could tell she would be easy to train, just too much for us right now. I even had tears telling them we wernt going to take her. The rescue is now going to ask for a home with no other dogs and mandatory training.

Such a heartbreak but we had to think of our first baby Odin - he has played with many Bulldogs before and we could tell this was very different because he usually got along so well and couldn't get enough but he started to back off a lot.

Annie1991

Community Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Longview, TX
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Punk'N
I am so sorry about your bad experience. My Mickey was a rescue and if I had the money I would get another. But, you are right - you need to find one that is dog and child friendly. Most rescue's will let you know if a dog is dog-friendly and kid-friendly. I hope that someday you will find another rescue. They are very special dogs - most only wanting love and a safe home.

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hi there
We have 5 dogs 4 of which are rescues , 2 Eb,s both females 1 is 11 yrs old one is 5 months (non rescue ) , 1 Cane Corso Male 2 yrs old ,1 Huskylab mix Male 2 yrs old and good old Willow a Siberian Husky app 8 to 9 yrs old .
We have always had a hoard of dogs at one time most of My life , We have found that a male female mix is the best , as you see we have to large males both needed a home asap so against My better judgement i took in the last male Dakota the huskylab mix , two males can be a handful figuring out who is going to be 2nd Alpha male under ME. They will fight that out sooner or later unless one is very submissive. So also will a male female mixed together but no where near the extent two males will , they will still have to figure out who is going to be boss around each other and as you have a dog that knows that up until now that it is his home to get all the attention that will be a big adjustment possibly like everything it will take time , may i suggest picking up all toys , if your dog is crated close the door for the meeting , let them meet in a neutral area back yard or even better a park .
Meeting for a few hours might not give you the knowledge of how they will get along in the future its a very short time to a dog is my experience , might want to try for a weekend
Feed them separated by a good distance until you know if either are food thief's or food hogs , Go slow and observe there interaction , hey they might just start playing right away as i have been lucky enough to have happen . Gl I hope it turns out very well for you and the pups please let us know how you make out .
Nat

punky

Mar 19, 2010
washington, west virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
i have four english bulldogs and i love them all the same... but there is something getting a rescue dog that i can't really explain... mine almost seems to know he has found a forever home and he shows us how much he appreciates it.. sounds silly but that is how ours is... he is so lovable and fun.. i know one thing for sure is, he may think we did him a favor but truth is.. he has know idea how he has helped me by coming into my life.. i hope it all works out for you and she can have that forever home too...

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Well after meeting with her for almost two hours we decided not to bring her home for a trial :(
She was poorly socialized and she kept escalating her aggression against Odin to the point of drawing blood. I feel so bad not even giving her a trial, Odin never showed any aggression back to her and kept going back trying to engage her by play bowing, showing her his side etc. But she would get so worked up it would eventually turned too much - at one point My boyfriend had to put all his weight on her to get her to let go of Odin's neck.

I know with some socialization and training she will be a wonderful girl, but we also have a 5 month old baby and I don't know what would happen if I was feeding the baby and had to break up a dog fight. She even started listening to my boyfriend when he would give her commands so you could tell she would be easy to train, just too much for us right now. I even had tears telling them we wernt going to take her. The rescue is now going to ask for a home with no other dogs and mandatory training.

Such a heartbreak but we had to think of our first baby Odin - he has played with many Bulldogs before and we could tell this was very different because he usually got along so well and couldn't get enough but he started to back off a lot.
Don't feel bad about your decision. She was not the dog for you. You have a new baby and enough to take care of. She will go to a home that will be less stress for her and you will find your dog when it is meant to be.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.