Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Potentially adding a second bulldog to our family - advice from other Rescue owners

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member natski282's Avatar
    Real Name
    Nat
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Primrose= Rosie and Megan = Meg,
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Potentially adding a second bulldog to our family - advice from other Rescue owners

I guess i should have read the entire post My apologies
    I am very sorry to hear of what happened ,
    Nat
    YOU MIGHT BE A BULLDOG IF...

...everyone else in a room with you is pinching their noses
    ...you snore like a chain saw.
    ...it takes too much energy to beg
    ...your snore is louder than your bark
    ...you have never seen your tail...what is a tail anyways?
    ...you're the loudest snorer in the house.

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member punky's Avatar
    Real Name
    gail
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    porkchop, abbey, gucci and rocky,
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Potentially adding a second bulldog to our family - advice from other Rescue owners

i have four english bulldogs and i love them all the same... but there is something getting a rescue dog that i can't really explain... mine almost seems to know he has found a forever home and he shows us how much he appreciates it.. sounds silly but that is how ours is... he is so lovable and fun.. i know one thing for sure is, he may think we did him a favor but truth is.. he has know idea how he has helped me by coming into my life.. i hope it all works out for you and she can have that forever home too...

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
    Well after meeting with her for almost two hours we decided not to bring her home for a trial
    She was poorly socialized and she kept escalating her aggression against Odin to the point of drawing blood. I feel so bad not even giving her a trial, Odin never showed any aggression back to her and kept going back trying to engage her by play bowing, showing her his side etc. But she would get so worked up it would eventually turned too much - at one point My boyfriend had to put all his weight on her to get her to let go of Odin's neck.

I know with some socialization and training she will be a wonderful girl, but we also have a 5 month old baby and I don't know what would happen if I was feeding the baby and had to break up a dog fight. She even started listening to my boyfriend when he would give her commands so you could tell she would be easy to train, just too much for us right now. I even had tears telling them we wernt going to take her. The rescue is now going to ask for a home with no other dogs and mandatory training.

Such a heartbreak but we had to think of our first baby Odin - he has played with many Bulldogs before and we could tell this was very different because he usually got along so well and couldn't get enough but he started to back off a lot.
    Don't feel bad about your decision. She was not the dog for you. You have a new baby and enough to take care of. She will go to a home that will be less stress for her and you will find your dog when it is meant to be.
    My smooshy face boy!

4. Likes 2BullyMama, Manydogs liked this post
    The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Roger
    Country
    USA
    Somewhere in the Universe. Wish you were here!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jewel and Bentley
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

So sorry this did not work out and I applaud your trying.

6. Likes 2BullyMama liked this post
    The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Priestess Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Therese Hamilton
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Amber and Ruby
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
    Well after meeting with her for almost two hours we decided not to bring her home for a trial
    She was poorly socialized and she kept escalating her aggression against Odin to the point of drawing blood. I feel so bad not even giving her a trial, Odin never showed any aggression back to her and kept going back trying to engage her by play bowing, showing her his side etc. But she would get so worked up it would eventually turned too much - at one point My boyfriend had to put all his weight on her to get her to let go of Odin's neck.

I know with some socialization and training she will be a wonderful girl, but we also have a 5 month old baby and I don't know what would happen if I was feeding the baby and had to break up a dog fight. She even started listening to my boyfriend when he would give her commands so you could tell she would be easy to train, just too much for us right now. I even had tears telling them we wernt going to take her. The rescue is now going to ask for a home with no other dogs and mandatory training.

Such a heartbreak but we had to think of our first baby Odin - he has played with many Bulldogs before and we could tell this was very different because he usually got along so well and couldn't get enough but he started to back off a lot.
    It sounds like you made a good choice for your present situation. A 5 month old baby and a bully can present their own challenges without adding to the mix. My advise; wait until the baby is at least potty trained so you will not have to avert your focus on something else, enjoy the baby right now. Good luck!

8. Likes Manydogs liked this post
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Odin
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dalmatina38 View Post
    It sounds like you made a good choice for your present situation. A 5 month old baby and a bully can present their own challenges without adding to the mix. My advise; wait until the baby is at least potty trained so you will not have to avert your focus on something else, enjoy the baby right now. Good luck!
    Thanks, we are really lucky with Odin that he has adapted so well to the baby, he made the transition pretty easily adjusting to the new baby. He loves him and is our protector now, whenever he gets scared of a leaf blowing in the wind he now puts himself between us and that scary leaf haha.

10. Likes Manydogs, Chunky White liked this post
    Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It's good to hear he's become your personal Gargoyle!

12. Likes Manydogs, Bambi liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads