Old British bulldog

Kelly Weeks

Dec 30, 2015
Hello,

It's my first time posting but wanted some advise with our 10 year old British bulldog, just recently she's become very reluctant to go out for walks, I say walks it's literally a 1 min walk to the park where she just has a sniff about does her business then just wants to go home and sleep. She's still very happy at home and is still eating well. Her hearing and eye sight has diminished over the last 6 months apart from that she is very healthy just now very reluctant to leave the house.

Just wanted to know is this the norm for old bulldog ladies?
Thanks
Kelly

OP
K

Kelly Weeks

Dec 30, 2015
This is daisy

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 147

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! Your Daisy is gorgeous… I would say that your girl is just getting old, do you have her on any joint supplements? She may be suffering from some joint pains...

OP
K

Kelly Weeks

Dec 30, 2015
Thanks for the reply, what supplements do you recommend for an old girl? She's doing so well but just isn't keen on going out anymore

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola (4 yrs) was never keen to go outside, especially for walks. I'd let her enjoy the good life at home inside :)

OP
K

Kelly Weeks

Dec 30, 2015
Lola (4 yrs) was never keen to go outside, especially for walks. I'd let her enjoy the good life at home inside :)
Thanks for the reply so you think we should just let her be? She is still enjoying life but just doesn't want to leave her bed

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the reply so you think we should just let her be? She is still enjoying life but just doesn't want to leave her bed
I'm worrying about her getting fat!

natski282

Dog Hoarder
May 27, 2013
Barrys Bay Ont Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Megan = Meg,
Hello,

It's my first time posting but wanted some advise with our 10 year old British bulldog, just recently she's become very reluctant to go out for walks, I say walks it's literally a 1 min walk to the park where she just has a sniff about does her business then just wants to go home and sleep. She's still very happy at home and is still eating well. Her hearing and eye sight has diminished over the last 6 months apart from that she is very healthy just now very reluctant to leave the house.

Just wanted to know is this the norm for old bulldog ladies?
Thanks
Kelly

002.jpg001.jpg This is Diva in both pics on the right ( Brindle ) and Rosie not her pup but her get off your butt and play Pup. That said Diva is a breast cancer survivor at now moving to 12 yrs old , blind in one eye , drags her right leg slightly as she walks , has two hernia,s , half her teeth missing other then that she is the most active dog in slow speed I have ever seen . With the addition of Rosie 5 months ago she is a changed Bullie she has doubled plus the distance she walks now but only with Rosie present , she corrects Rosie when she step out of line, she protected Rosie if you want to call it that when Rosie was a 8 week old pup with 3 other large dogs that wanted to play with the new little pup . Diva walks almost a 6 acre lot now since Rosie showed up, it takes time and it is NEW to Diva as a young dog will go a different way maybe as a person following them it takes a long time but they do it lol
Not saying you should get a pup but I must say Diva was into it I found , maybe change things up a different walk new smells new other dogs to sniff , new Hydrants
Maybe have your vet check him out for leg /hip issues , teeth just a general check up to see if he has any issues you are not aware of , just a suggestion money well spent for a Bullie that age there are not a ton of them you have obviously taken care of him good on you .

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Wow she's a beautiful girl! I'm sure at 10 she pretty much just wants to sleep all day ha ha! I give my bullies joint supplements...even though they're just 4 and 5 yrs. It couldn't hurt to give her some.lli use NuVet joint.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Kelly and :welcome3: to EBN ...... your girl is a beauty and I assume that his your son -- handsome little guy!

Yes, it is normal for them to begin wanting to just sleep for 20 hours a day.... joint supplements may help as others have suggested.

As for the weight concern, you can always cut back her kibble a little to lessen calorie intake so instead of a full cup, lessen it just a bit at each feeding

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Welcome to EBN...Daisy is beautiful & certainly, does not look her age!

She may be having stiff (even painful) joints, they tend to be stoic & hide
pain. And, poor eyesight & hearing may be causing trepidation for her, especially
outdoors. If she's doing well & you're sure she's not in pain, I'd let her enjoy her
senior years, inside where she feels safe. Cut her kibble back & add in a cup of
warmed green beans to fill her tummy. She looks great!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.