Need help with training issue

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
oh, and about her hearing problem, it's called "selective hearing" and my husband also suffers from this debilitating disease.

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION] i like to think of it as a genetic adaptation that the male race has acquired to survive residing with females...good thing my gf doesn't come on the site ;)

Wigglesworth

Feb 14, 2011
Putnam County, NY
Bulldog(s) Names
Woody
my trainer taught me the greatest thing:

go out with the dog, and whenever he/she goes to the bathroom say "hurry up" a couple times.

been doing it for about 2 weeks and now when i say hurry up, he goes to the bathroom on command.

also, have you worked on the "come" command. These bullies are smart.

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
my trainer taught me the greatest thing:

go out with the dog, and whenever he/she goes to the bathroom say "hurry up" a couple times.

been doing it for about 2 weeks and now when i say hurry up, he goes to the bathroom on command.

also, have you worked on the "come" command. These bullies are smart.

That is a great idea.... Once the weather warms up! LOL

I haven't worked on "come" yet, we did just learn sit. I need to start working with her on commands more so she will start listening a little better. :) She is a very smart girl!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
You can get a nice big bag of frozen green beans from Costco ... if you have one of those close by. They LOVE those things!!

All my gang loves the frozen green beans...Though when training...potty time though it's cold out with winter. Taking her on a lead to one designated area and not allowing her to play. But only the length of the leash to go around in a specific area...while repeating..."Go potty" and praise and reward when the deed is done. Then directly head back to the house...and later take her out to play in another area... It's important at a young age to establish potty time for what it is...It really helps with consistency.

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
^^ Good idea Darlene. If she's on the leash, she has to do her business and come back in. That should help, she picks up on everything super fast. I am going to have to start doing that now, even if I freeze my butt off!

I need to break her of her couple of bad habits before they get worse. She is a really good dog, but she is a typical bullie teenager!

cadillactaste

Feb 28, 2011
OHIO
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Sarge
^^ Good idea Darlene. If she's on the leash, she has to do her business and come back in. That should help, she picks up on everything super fast. I am going to have to start doing that now, even if I freeze my butt off!

I need to break her of her couple of bad habits before they get worse. She is a really good dog, but she is a typical bullie teenager!

Just remember...I was too in your shoes when we got Sarge...my desired "spring pup" that came in the winter. And...a pup can hold their bladder what is it...an hour for each month they are...she's 6 months old...so she should be able to hold a bit longer...Though I think I would still follow her bell ringing system. But...leash her first...take her out to the designated potty area...then praise and treat...then back into the house. If you think she wants back out...then show her the bell and let her dig it again...and let her out to play... ;)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
All my gang loves the frozen green beans...Though when training...potty time though it's cold out with winter. Taking her on a lead to one designated area and not allowing her to play. But only the length of the leash to go around in a specific area...while repeating..."Go potty" and praise and reward when the deed is done. Then directly head back to the house...and later take her out to play in another area... It's important at a young age to establish potty time for what it is...It really helps with consistency.

Given how cold it is here in NE Ohio getting them to come back in is NEVER a problem!! AND when it does feel a little warmer and they want to stay outside I just let them ... anything is better than watch Daddy bouce off the walls :crazy:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.