Need help with training issue

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Molly is getting to be a pain when it comes to going outside to potty. She rings a bell to go out, but sometimes she rings it just to go out and play, or chew on all the dead grass. Even when she goes out to do her business, she usually won't come right back in. When she's out there she "can't" :rolleyes: hear us calling her to come back inside.

It's winter and cold here right now. I won't just leave her out unsupervised, and I don't want to get her into the habit of staying outside for so long, especially when summer comes. I will have to be extra careful with her then because she's a congested breather. Also, sometimes we are letting her out a last time before leaving for work or going somewhere else, and she needs to come back in right away.

I'd like to avoid giving a treat to come in. I did that with my lasy bullie and oh boy, did he never forget it from the very first time! If you didn't give him a treat every time he came back in, he would sit and stare at the treat jar FOREVER until I caved. He was very particular when it came to routines, though. Still, I am really trying to watch her weight.

Any suggestions?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would start using the treats .... bullys respond to ANYTHING if it involves food!!!! :lol:

HOWEVER, these are the treats that we use .... frozen green beans, frozen blueberries, baby carrots, cucumber chunks, banana slices, apple slices, and in the summer I'm going to try freezing canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling!!!) in ice cube trays so I can use them too.

So you'll get great results because you're using treats/bribing them .. ;) ..... and yet the treats will all be healthy and really good for them, therefore Molly will have a cute little waistline!!

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
OK, she did like baby carrots the other day. I also saw a dog bakery had some low cal treats that were only 5 calories each. I will give it a try :)

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
You can get a nice big bag of frozen green beans from Costco ... if you have one of those close by. They LOVE those things!!

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
That is so weird that most of them like green beans and carrots and stuff. My last bullie did not like veggies!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Hopefully Molly will ...!!! Makes life SO much easier!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I wish I had a better answer than bribing her with a treat or actually going out there and corraling her back in LOL Thats what I have to do with Samson, he's a typical bully, VERY stubborn!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
After todays trial ... I would like to add frozen broccoli florets as a possible choice of bribery!!! :up:

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness LOVES frozen green beans like I love bacon. he also likes cucumbers and baby carrots, my dog eats 20x better than i do

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Oh yeah, the treats are doing the trick. I am going to pick up some of the healthier suggestions when I go to the grocery store this weekend!

L

Lucy-licious

Yeah i'm afraid in my own experience bribery is the only sure fire way to stop Lucy sitting in the yard, on a cold day, watching the world go by :lol:

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Oh yeah, she certainly can't hear me calling her to come back in, but she somehow hears the bag of treats shaking and sprints inside. Hmmmm.... I wonder if she has some kind of hearing problem I should go get checked out??? ;) :rolleyes:

sheila

Community Veteran
Nov 28, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Butler
[MENTION=1871]Miss Molly[/MENTION], glad the bribery is working. this is butler's favorite after potty treat: freeze dried banana slices. not to be confused with dehydrated banana chips. they are the perfect size and are sweet and have a soft but crunchy texture. he loves these and they are wonderful because they are quick and easy to get to. there are no added sugars or preservatives or anything! just banana. i get mine at trader joe's i don't know if you have one where you live, but i'm sure there is something similar.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

OP
Miss Molly

Miss Molly

Feb 18, 2011
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Thanks for the suggestion [MENTION=1539]sheila[/MENTION]! I do have a trader joe's in my area that just opened a month or so ago that I have been meaning to go check out.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.