Puppy Tail

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if puppy's tails can change over time?? We got Pippen when she was 8 weeks old and her tail stuck straight out and then a few weeks later I noticed it being more flat against her. Now she is 4 months and it's almost always flat against her, looking more like a corkscrew tail. She will lift it a little sometimes while playing and when she goes to the bathroom. Just curious if this is common or not!!

Thanks! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCandMurray

Sep 16, 2015
NY
Country
U.S.
Bulldog(s) Names
Murray
Merry Christmas Michele and Pippen! I don't believe this is unusual, I got Murray at 9 weeks and his tail changed a bit in direction of the corkscrew as he grew, it's something you need to keep an eye on and make sure stays clean really well because they can get tail pocket infections. I use duoxo wipes (Amazon) at least twice a day and they're a big help.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Seems common to me.... Banks and Lambeau both had straight 'loose' tails when a puppy but by the time they were 8-10 mths they were more cork-screw and tight --- Lambeau ended up having to have his removed, but Banks remained tight but not an infection problem.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with above, tails can change over time. Gay tails usually stay that way and tight tails only get tighter, or depending may even get better as the hips move backward during the growth process.

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Merry Christmas Michele and Pippen! I don't believe this is unusual, I got Murray at 9 weeks and his tail changed a bit in direction of the corkscrew as he grew, it's something you need to keep an eye on and make sure stays clean really well because they can get tail pocket infections. I use duoxo wipes (Amazon) at least twice a day and they're a big help.

Merry Christmas to you too!! [emoji4] Good to know! Yea I've already been keeping it clean, we have a 3 year old bully, Barkley, too and his tail has always been super tight and has a deep tail pocket so I'm used to all the cleaning/powdering!! Haha

OP
sunkissedpr1ncs

sunkissedpr1ncs

Apr 3, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Barkley and Pippen
Seems common to me.... Banks and Lambeau both had straight 'loose' tails when a puppy but by the time they were 8-10 mths they were more cork-screw and tight --- Lambeau ended up having to have his removed, but Banks remained tight but not an infection problem.

Ahhhh poor guys [emoji20] Hers is still pretty loose so I'm just hoping it doesn't start to get tight! The vet said she shouldn't have any problems with it so I'll keep my fingers crossed!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, as others have said, they will change as they grow, so hopefully it will not get too tight and cause a problem.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online