Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
I'm not sure what's OK. When Bella and I get into a good play session, she starts biting. It doesn't hurt, and she's not trying to make it hurt--but she's definitely biting. I don't like it...at all. So, I make her stop. But, is it normal for a dog to bite during play, or should I always correct this behavior?

If it's normal, I will stop correcting her.

Similarly, I had a friend visit this past weekend, who was playing with Bella. Bella started biting her fingers (soft biting, no pain--but biting nonetheless). I told my friend to stop playing with Bella whenever she does that. It's like she associates physical play with biting.

Thoughts?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Well,just me--I never have allowed any of my dogs to bite me,for any reason. Not even when playing. They do have each other to play with,but even so,if they play with me,even when they were pups, I'd tell them "No bite your Ma." (of course,as pups, it had to be repeated)

OP
Cali Doll

Cali Doll

Community Veteran
Nov 20, 2014
Northern VA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Well,just me--I never have allowed any of my dogs to bite me,for any reason. Not even when playing. They do have each other to play with,but even so,if they play with me,even when they were pups, I'd tell them "No bite your Ma." (of course,as pups, it had to be repeated)

This is what I think, too. I wasn't sure if I was being unfair to her doggie instincts.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
This is what I think, too. I wasn't sure if I was being unfair to her doggie instincts.

Some doggie instincts may be allowed-but "you" don't bite the hand that feeds you(or any other hand!! :mansfriend:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
it is est to not allow it....

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Two of mine does it while playing, they don't bite hard, not hard at all, it's more like sucking. I've allowed it, which I guess isn't right but they love to play like that and I don't mind it. They only play with me or my husband so I'm not worried about them hurting anyone. I think it's natural for them to use their mouth while playing, but I agree that it's for the best to teach them to play without biting, in the heat of the moment they might not always know their strength.

Most Reactions