Brudysmom

Nov 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus
Brutus has an appointment with our vet on January 5th due to his dry skin. I noticed this being an issue when he was sick with an upper respiratory infection. I've started him on fish oil and switched his food about a month ago to orjien. The strange thing is, is he's not scratching or digging at his skin. I found two small scabs on his back thar he can't even reach if he wanted to..I'm planning on giving him an oatmeal bath today per vets orders. Other than fish oil and brushing, what else can I do?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Can you post a picture of the area..... the small scabs, are they dry/flaky and does the fur remove around if you take the scab off with little to no bleeding?

Kimberlie

Aug 15, 2015
Country
Usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Murphy Hudson Nash & Milton Virgil
Can you post a picture of the area..... the small scabs, are they dry/flaky and does the fur remove around if you take the scab off with little to no bleeding?

My little guys skin is dry too.
He gets coconut oil and yogurt.

Sometimes he gets exactly what you describe, little scabs,dry flaky and the fur comes out easily...
Something to be concerned about?? :/

I was just researching on stuff I could do.
I mean his belly area is fine, but areas with fur is dry underneath when you run your fingers through it.

His back has this crazy smell, my husband says it smells of burnt hair.
I thought it was his anal glands but it wasn't, and it goes away after a bath but on the 3-4 day after it comes back.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My little guys skin is dry too.
He gets coconut oil and yogurt.

Sometimes he gets exactly what you describe, little scabs,dry flaky and the fur comes out easily...
Something to be concerned about?? :/

I was just researching on stuff I could do.
I mean his belly area is fine, but areas with fur is dry underneath when you run your fingers through it.

His back has this crazy smell, my husband says it smells of burnt hair.
I thought it was his anal glands but it wasn't, and it goes away after a bath but on the 3-4 day after it comes back.

could be a staph infection or just dry skin -- try the coconut oil as others suggested. if it is staph, you will need antibiotics to clear it up and then build his immune system up to keep it away (probiotics will help there)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.